Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Is it true that universities will only consider current degree students for second year transfers and that's only if your current degree is similar to what you want to change to?

If you want to change to a totally different degree, typically you have to meet the entry requirements for that course and the fact that you have completed the first year of a degree generally isn't taken into account in terms of the offer they make you?

For instance, if you got BBB and wanted to transfer to a course that requires AAB, in general you would still have to meet the AAB requirements, even if you'd completed the first year of a degree at a lower ranking uni?

Direct transfers in most cases will only be considered if you want to change to the second year of a similar course at another uni.

ReputationRep:
    I don't fully understand what you're asking, but from what I've taken your asking if you can change course after your first year and if you need to get the entry requirements for this course because you've already been to university.

Well, I'm first year student now doing Human Biology and Psychology and its too easy and I emailed the pharmacy admissions tutor last week and asked about transferring now (so in my first year) and she said its possible but I did need to have the A level entry requirements (luckily I got the grades anyway) and now I've just got to go for an interview.

I don't know if that helps at all.
    But, yes you can change course after 1st year but I think you still need to meet entry requirements. but as far as I'm aware you'd need to meet entry requirements whether you transfer after 1st or 2nd year. the only time i think it might be lowered is if you'd completed your first degree because then you'd be applying post-grad rather than under-grad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TobaccoSmoke)
    Is it true that universities will only consider current degree students for second year transfers and that's only if your current degree is similar to what you want to change to?

If you want to change to a totally different degree, typically you have to meet the entry requirements for that course and the fact that you have completed the first year of a degree generally isn't taken into account in terms of the offer they make you?

For instance, if you got BBB and wanted to transfer to a course that requires AAB, in general you would still have to meet the AAB requirements, even if you'd completed the first year of a degree at a lower ranking uni?

Direct transfers in most cases will only be considered if you want to change to the second year of a similar course at another uni.
    To transfer to another course you have to meet the entry requirements for that course at Level 3, especially if it's a totally different degree. Some uni's will take you if you have high grades in year 1 and transferring to the same course at another uni - then you may even be able to go in to year 2.

ReputationRep:
    might be worth dropping the department you want to transfer to an email? surely couldnt do any harm to enquire?
    i swapped courses but they were similar and i had the grads for both. but i was surprised about how easy it was to change. i emailed them, and they pretty much said yeahh come in and get a form signed by a few people. done.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.