Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I am looking for opinions on the route to completing a PhD with the hope of becoming a university lecturer in the future.

I am currently on a placement at one of the Big Four accountancy firms (3rd year). I want to complete my degree then I'm not sure which route to take to the Phd in accounting.

I was thinking of completing the ACA qualification, as it's very highly regarded, while I work the applying for a PhD.
    As I'm not completing a dissertation in my last year, would it be necessary or preferred to complete a masters to get the research methods and experience? Also, would this really highlight which area I would focus on for PhD research.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What do you want to do your PhD on? you dont say in your post. Outside of the physical sciences its pretty essential to do a postgraduate masters. You also need to start looking at funding opportunities, its nearly impossible to get anything in some fields.

ReputationRep:
    Most PhD programs insist on '2.1 or above' and a Masters.

The Masters gives you the essential research methods training in your subject area and more intensive study/research experience. This is the proof that you are capable of doing research - and at the required level.

PS. Universities value 'experience' - working in between your u/grad degree and you Masters, and then before you do a PhD will enhance your application(s). How can you do research into accountancy practice, or hope to teach it, when you've never actually done any?

ReputationRep:
    #paddy - I would want to complete it in Accounting, in general, with specific areas in mind at the moment.

I understand funding is a big thing, that's what puts me off a masters as its a high cost with, from my perspective, less funding.

#returnmigrant - I assumed experience would be valuable, hence why I'm working in a big four accountancy firm this year in my sandwich year.

I am heading for a first so that should be fine, but as for the Masters I have been told the professional qualification would be sufficient as the masters is becoming less of a necessity.

I was looking at an ESRC or 1+3 as they provide the masters and PhD, allowing me to use prior work experience to apply then going straight from masters to research. For me, this seems like a great choice as it allows following from the masters research straight to PhD.

Thanks both for your comments.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just a general question. Is it possible for Someone to pursue a phd in slightly different topic from His MSc? I mean somebody who has first degree in IR and masters in governance with significant elements of political economy is it possible to begin a phd in political economy?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by virtsou)
    Just a general question. Is it possible for Someone to pursue a phd in slightly different topic from His MSc? I mean somebody who has first degree in IR and masters in governance with significant elements of political economy is it possible to begin a phd in political economy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, as long as you can prove you won't be swamped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by virtsou)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes (That what I'm doing). As long as you can demonstrate a) you are capable of the workload b) adapting to the subject area you should be okay.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Bumping back to original post topic, no offence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.