Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmilyT1994)
    Haha I can't imagine how you must have felt on results day.
    I was so nervous, but I had an unconditional from Portsmouth!
    To have to get AAA-ABB for my insurance would have killed me XD

And you're right haha, that's what I meant, SUSSED.
    I just tried logging through susu.org and I'm like, what was I on?

Have you not? That's funny, I got sent the stuff about selecting the maths modules through my email a few days ago. I think I chose SOES01 or something like that, the easy one haha XD I say easy, but I'm sure I'll be the only one struggling. I'm so bad at maths, I only got a C at GCSE =S
    Yeah, I was terrified :lol: Fortunately neither of my offers were AAA!

Thanks for letting me know about the modules, I'll send admissions an email later. I hope that's the best department to write to I just looked at the SOES1010 module and it pretty much looks like AS maths, which isn't that easy! I'm sure you won't be the only one who finds it hard I'll be doing MATH1008 hopefully, but I just looked at the syllabus and it looks terrifying!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Where'sPerry?)
    Yeah, I was terrified :lol: Fortunately neither of my offers were AAA!

Thanks for letting me know about the modules, I'll send admissions an email later. I hope that's the best department to write to I just looked at the SOES1010 module and it pretty much looks like AS maths, which isn't that easy! I'm sure you won't be the only one who finds it hard I'll be doing MATH1008 hopefully, but I just looked at the syllabus and it looks terrifying!!
    On my confirmation of choices email it said that if I had any queries I should contact my faculty. The first email telling me I had to make choices was from [email protected], and was signed 'The Undergraduate Student Office' so if admissions don't know, then maybe one of these contacts would.

And oh god, when I went to the open day they told me it would just be like how to take measurements and stuff. I must have misunderstood them, I thought it sounded too easy for a uni course. There are a lot of 'Basic's on the syllabus though, which I guess is a good thing.

But still, I don't think I've got much chance of transferring to the MSci course XD I was hoping to transfer but I think you needed to get at least 70% in all of your exams for the first year. Lol, that's definitely not going to happen. I'm really worried about the whole first semester. I feel like I'm kind of failing before I've even really begun.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really worried about the whole first semester. I feel like I'm kind of failing before I've even really begun.
    We are all nervous to start uni no matter how much we hide it... It will be like anything in life - starts with a bit of uncertainty, but it will be fine later on (I hope!!!). Don't let your nerves take you to the point of extreme negativity before you have even started (remember that you actually worked hard to get accepted).

You have to believe in yourself no matter what and aim for the best because it's not impossible if you work hard for it ... I hope you change how you feel because it can sometimes be reality

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if anyone knows whether the smaller scale events during freshers week like pub quiz's etc allow non-students to attend?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    On my confirmation of choices email it said that if I had any queries I should contact my faculty. The first email telling me I had to make choices was from [email protected], and was signed 'The Undergraduate Student Office' so if admissions don't know, then maybe one of these contacts would.

And oh god, when I went to the open day they told me it would just be like how to take measurements and stuff. I must have misunderstood them, I thought it sounded too easy for a uni course. There are a lot of 'Basic's on the syllabus though, which I guess is a good thing.

But still, I don't think I've got much chance of transferring to the MSci course XD I was hoping to transfer but I think you needed to get at least 70% in all of your exams for the first year. Lol, that's definitely not going to happen. I'm really worried about the whole first semester. I feel like I'm kind of failing before I've even really begun.
    Okay, thanks for the address Has your maths module been added onto your timetable yet on SUSSED?

Very true, I doubt the maths will be as difficult as AS maths, that would be so unfair! A lot of the content is similar but it probably won't go into as much detail. Who knows, you might start the module and find out it really is mostly about taking measurements

At my interview day they said that they do get quite a number of people transferring to the MSci, so it must definitely be achievable. I'm really worried about the chemistry content of the course, haven't done chemistry since GCSE

ReputationRep:
    TNTTAZ - Thanks for the encouragement, I'm feeling a bit more ready today haha, feeling like it's not the end of the world if I can't do the maths and who knows, maybe I'll actually get it =)

Perry - That's okay =) No it hasn't been added on yet. It didn't even occur to me that it needed to be added on, I thought maybe we would start the maths a little later and that's why it wasn't there. I'm not sure what's going to happen with that but I'll keep and eye on it.
    I'm not sure where the Msci differs from the BSc, but from what I can gather the chemistry shouldn't be too difficult.
    I took it at A level and ended up with an E despite my A at gcse =S
    But when they applied the chemistry in biology, for like amino acid structures it wasn't a problem.
    If you can do maths and biology I'm sure you'll be fine with the chemistry =D

ReputationRep:
    That's okay =) No it hasn't been added on yet. It didn't even occur to me that it needed to be added on, I thought maybe we would start the maths a little later and that's why it wasn't there. I'm not sure what's going to happen with that but I'll keep and eye on it.
    I'm not sure where the Msci differs from the BSc, but from what I can gather the chemistry shouldn't be too difficult.
    I took it at A level and ended up with an E despite my A at gcse =S
    But when they applied the chemistry in biology, for like amino acid structures it wasn't a problem.
    If you can do maths and biology I'm sure you'll be fine with the chemistry =D
    I wish I'd taken chemistry, I regret it now. I was also alright with the chem in biology though, so hopefully it won't be too much of a struggle!

Feeling lost when it comes to freshers right now; my welcome week timetable isn't loading on the "Are you ready?" page and I'm finding the SUSU website confusing. I can only find details about the evening events, I can't see anything about what's going on in the day? I saw people mentioning a beach trip and bowling trip but I know nothing about them? I don't use facebook so I can't get any info from there. Getting a bit stressed out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BethaneyJ)
    Of course it does! You'll get a timetable in your freshers pack if I recall. And we don't access ours through Sussed. You want som.soton.ac.uk It has last years timetable up at the moment, but it's a good start.

You were right Beth about the timetable it's in the freshers pack (just came today), but it only contained the inductions available from 24-26 of Sep for the faculty. It wasn't specific to the course though.

Anyway, I was reading one of the letters in the pack which really confused me :confused:. It said BM programme in the title, when I continued it actually mentions "(BMBS) provides a broad foundation for the study of health and disease...". Now, I know that the degree title isn't that important, however, I'm just wondering whether it's just an error or are they actually planning of changing the name of the degree to (BMBS)... (not that it will make a massive difference!!!...Oh,,, it will add more letters ). I hope you can clarify that for me

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the encouragement, I'm feeling a bit more ready today haha, feeling like it's not the end of the world if I can't do the maths and who knows, maybe I'll actually get it =)
    It's really great to have this positive attitude. I'm sure you will be fine and good luck with everything (that's if you need it anymore !!!).
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TNTTAZ)
    You were right Beth about the timetable it's in the freshers pack (just came today), but it only contained the inductions available from 24-26 of Sep for the faculty. It wasn't specific to the course though.

Anyway, I was reading one of the letters in the pack which really confused me :confused:. It said BM programme in the title, when I continued it actually mentions "(BMBS) provides a broad foundation for the study of health and disease...". Now, I know that the degree title isn't that important, however, I'm just wondering whether it's just an error or are they actually planning of changing the name of the degree to (BMBS)... (not that it will make a massive difference!!!...Oh,,, it will add more letters ). I hope you can clarify that for me
    It is currently BM which is unique to soton. Current students have the choice BM or BMBS but new students (yourself included) will all received BMBS It was just to clear up that our degree covered surgery too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TNTTAZ)

Just to clarify, if you are looking for the Medicine 2013/2014 Timetable, it is up as a "Draft" version on the website Bethaney linked to... Nearly everything apears to be already filled in though already
    It all looks very busy - except Wednesday afternoons... presumably time for some sport / recreational activity.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lionheartat20)
    Just to clarify, if you are looking for the Medicine 2013/2014 Timetable, it is up as a "Draft" version on the website Bethaney linked to... Nearly everything apears to be already filled in though already
    It all looks very busy - except Wednesday afternoons... presumably time for some sport / recreational activity.

We ALWAYS get Wednesday afternoons off :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I didn't bother with the areyouready freshers timetable. Maybe it's changed but when I looked it just had events for international students, and then things like spin class introductions at the gym, and I looked through a couple of weeks and it was still the same.
    Ah, I just re-checked and it's not loading for me either. Hopefully they're updating it.
    I'm on facebook but I have no idea where people are getting all of this information from. I've joined what seem to be the main fresher's groups but I'm only getting information about how quickly the passes are selling. I'm going to a meet and greet next week anyway so hopefully some of the other fresher's will have some information.
    It sounds like quite a few of you have got welcome packs recently. Just checked, mine still hasn't come yet.
    Does anyone have lectures on their timetables that overlap? I have one from 9-11 on Wednesdays, but then I have a different module from 10.30 until 1pm.
    And does anyone have a clue how we know what rooms they are in? Lol, there are so many numbers, I don't know where to start XD

ReputationRep:
    The room number system will be explained by your course tutors, but for example...

GEOG1007 is the module, then L1 means Lecture 1 (of the week), then 46 is the building (You'll get a map when you start), and 3001 L/T A means third floor, room 001 Lecture Theatre A, and then the last numbers are the weeks that it takes place. So for me, I have a lecture in that room in that building for that module in weeks 1-5, 7-11 and finally 15.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeorchard)
    The room number system will be explained by your course tutors, but for example...

GEOG1007 is the module, then L1 means Lecture 1 (of the week), then 46 is the building (You'll get a map when you start), and 3001 L/T A means third floor, room 001 Lecture Theatre A, and then the last numbers are the weeks that it takes place. So for me, I have a lecture in that room in that building for that module in weeks 1-5, 7-11 and finally 15.
    Oh thankyou! That is so helpful =)
    That's a relief too that they will tell us, I was dreading the thought of getting lost and then walking into my first lecture late and having everyone stare at me, I'll try and save that for a few weeks in XD

ReputationRep:
    I didn't bother with the areyouready freshers timetable. Maybe it's changed but when I looked it just had events for international students, and then things like spin class introductions at the gym, and I looked through a couple of weeks and it was still the same.
    Ah, I just re-checked and it's not loading for me either. Hopefully they're updating it.
    I'm on facebook but I have no idea where people are getting all of this information from. I've joined what seem to be the main fresher's groups but I'm only getting information about how quickly the passes are selling. I'm going to a meet and greet next week anyway so hopefully some of the other fresher's will have some information.
    It sounds like quite a few of you have got welcome packs recently. Just checked, mine still hasn't come yet.
    Does anyone have lectures on their timetables that overlap? I have one from 9-11 on Wednesdays, but then I have a different module from 10.30 until 1pm.
    And does anyone have a clue how we know what rooms they are in? Lol, there are so many numbers, I don't know where to start XD
    The areyouready timetable was supposed to be updated with more events yesterday but no one has been able to actually view the new timetables yet (technical problems or something)! Glad I'm not the only one who seems to know little about what's actually going on If you get any new info from the meetup next week, would you mind posting it on this thread?

Is the welcome pack something physical or does it come via email?

I have overlapping lectures on week 6 only, I'm just assuming it will be explained once I start!

ReputationRep:
    An overlapping session usually involves a room or staff change half way through, or that's what happened in mine last year.

ReputationRep:
    Hello I'm quite confused over what's happening on Freshers' Fortnight as well. :P But this is what I've gathered from Facebook so far:

- The welcome week timetables seem to be working again. I think they've fixed it so that all the relevant department talks / activities / etc are now on there.

- Whether you'll receive your welcome pack by post or email (or both!) appears to depend on which department you're in. I'm doing medicine and I got mine in the post.

- The social events seem to be listed all over the place But most of them are probably listed here or here (you'll probably have to log in to see your halls events). The bowling and beach trips are part of the Pot Luck Events for Master Pass holders. The booking form for the Bournemouth beach trip is here (but it's apparently now fully booked ) and the bowling trip here. (Pretty sure there's a form for the Brighton trip as well but I can't seem to find it right now...) Priority is given to Master Pass holders for these trips, but if there are going to be spaces left you'll be able to buy the tickets separately in the SUSU Box Office from 16th Sept.

I hope this all makes sense. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jozzers)
    Hello I'm quite confused over what's happening on Freshers' Fortnight as well. :P But this is what I've gathered from Facebook so far:

- The welcome week timetables seem to be working again. I think they've fixed it so that all the relevant department talks / activities / etc are now on there.

- Whether you'll receive your welcome pack by post or email (or both!) appears to depend on which department you're in. I'm doing medicine and I got mine in the post.

- The social events seem to be listed all over the place But most of them are probably listed here or here (you'll probably have to log in to see your halls events). The bowling and beach trips are part of the Pot Luck Events for Master Pass holders. The booking form for the Bournemouth beach trip is here (but it's apparently now fully booked ) and the bowling trip here. (Pretty sure there's a form for the Brighton trip as well but I can't seem to find it right now...) Priority is given to Master Pass holders for these trips, but if there are going to be spaces left you'll be able to buy the tickets separately in the SUSU Box Office from 16th Sept.

I hope this all makes sense. :P
    Ahh thank you, this is SO useful! So basically, with the Pot Luck events, they are still open to people without the Master Pass IF there is space on the 16th?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Where'sPerry?)
    Ahh thank you, this is SO useful! So basically, with the Pot Luck events, they are still open to people without the Master Pass IF there is space on the 16th?
    You're welcome.

Yeah, that's what I think will happen. You won't be able to buy individual tickets from the Box Office for some of the smaller events though, so I suppose you'll just have to turn up on the day and hope that you can buy tickets at the door.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.