The Student Room Group

Anybody else think A levels are too easy?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Robbie242
I find maths easy because I love it, however History out of my choices I'm doing terrible on, I think with alevels it helps incredibly if you pick a subject you love and you have the time to revise for it

I'm with you on History. Terribly hard!
Reply 121
Original post by awilson008
I know this will be controversial, but I'm wondering if there will be other people who feel the same way as me, so hear me out.

Obviously everybody is at a different level and different people doing different subjects will have had different experiences.

However I am in my A2 year doing maths, physics, chemistry and biology and have been predicted 4A*s, and it didn't really feel like I had to do much.

I've never really had to push myself in these subjects, partly because I really enjoy them and I have a talent for them, but it feels like a bit of a waste that I wasn't pushed further so I could reach my full potential.

I'm trying not to explicitly say that A levels have been dumbed down but I looked at an old physics textbook from the 80s and there's so much interesting stuff in there we will never learn about because it was dubbed 'too hard' for people at this level.

I do understand there's lots of people struggling out there, but I really want to hear from those people who are at the top and feel like they could take a lot more on.

In my opinion grade inflation could be solved by making A levels that wee bit harder and so we can differentiate between all of those people who are snatching As and increasing competition for places at university.

What do you guys think? (Be nice)

Wow, brace yourself! 85 bad reps because of your post. Ok, I reckon people are aggravated. Well do consider yourself to have the 'clever' gene if you feel that way! I did Philosophy and Religious Studies in AS which I found easier compared to my other subjects and less challenging. I expected it to contain more depth and controversy, but I didn't find the subject completely easy considering I did have to work for my grade and didn't feel like I needed to do nothing.
I'm a bit of both. I love and am passionate about Media Studies and English Literature, and I'm doing reasonably well, but I work very hard. RE and Psychology I am finding incredibly difficult, psychology near impossible. Dropping it next year though. I think it's great that you're finding A levels so easy but this thread is just a way for you to boast.
Reply 123
I dont't understand the point of this thread. Are you trying to reach people like yourself? Or are you just being egotistical?
I did a biology past paper the other day. On some one the questions I was confident on I was getting 4/7, 1/3 etc. due to missing out stupid points (some of which weren't even relevant to the question). However, a question on cystic fibrosis came up which I hadn't revised and could remember barely anything about. I just wrote down some key phrases that came to mind and got 6/6 on it.

So yeah, I don't think exams are too easy, I just think they need sorting out.
Reply 125
Original post by dippers
Care to share this amazing techinique? :smile:

Have a go at opening up your textbooks and reading the text over and over again and sort of just remember it and visualize the page in your head.

With enough practice I am able to cover a spread (2 pages) in about 10 minutes, and with a unit only being up to about 50 pages I can cover it pretty easily.
However after each spread I tend to repeat it from memory and after completing each unit I would repeat every page from memory until the day of my exam (would take about 1 hour for each unit though)

Looking back at myself at September at the start of the year I probably wouldn't have believed myself if I told myself I would be able to remember about 200 pages (4 units) by memory.

This is literally the only thing that works for me, obviously after knowing the unit by memory I test myself with all the past papers etc but nothing more.

Let me know if it works for you as this method does actually run in the family, with my Brother also being able to remember lots and lots of info (he is currently in his 2nd year of medicine at ICL after achieving A*A*AA at A levels)

The key is to have a good lay out and this is why I use the heinemann textbooks/ Cgp revision guides, as it is very important to have a title for the information stored in your head.
Reply 126
Don't give Michael Gove fuel...
Reply 127
I know this will be controversial, but I'm wondering if there will be other people who feel the same way as me, so hear me out.

Obviously everybody is at a different level and different people doing different subjects will have had different experiences.

However I am in my A2 year doing maths, physics, chemistry and biology and have been predicted 4A*s, and it didn't really feel like I had to do much.

I've never really had to push myself in these subjects, partly because I really enjoy them and I have a talent for them, but it feels like a bit of a waste that I wasn't pushed further so I could reach my full potential.

I'm trying not to explicitly say that A levels have been dumbed down but I looked at an old physics textbook from the 80s and there's so much interesting stuff in there we will never learn about because it was dubbed 'too hard' for people at this level.

I do understand there's lots of people struggling out there, but I really want to hear from those people who are at the top and feel like they could take a lot more on.

In my opinion grade inflation could be solved by making A levels that wee bit harder and so we can differentiate between all of those people who are snatching As and increasing competition for places at university.

What do you guys think? (Be nice)

Did you get full marks in every single module at first sitting?

If the answer is no, then A levels are not too easy and you could push yourself a bit more.
Reply 128
I agree As and A*s should be difficult to attain except for the top 1% or so. So many people get A*s and As that internationally A Levels in the UK are viewed as a joke.
Original post by Haarts
Did you get full marks in every single module at first sitting?

If the answer is no, then A levels are not too easy and you could push yourself a bit more.

Well at AS I got full marks in 6 different modules.

I understand the idea you're putting across but saying that a lot of people miss out on full marks because of silly mistakes it isn't really justified.
Original post by Kimina
I agree As and A*s should be difficult to attain except for the top 1% or so. So many people get A*s and As that internationally A Levels in the UK are viewed as a joke.

Exactly. Not sure on the exact percentage but about 30-50% of people get A grades in certain A level subjects. How can this differentiate between candidates? Universities will end up pushing grade requirements up to A*A*A* etc.

I agree that internationally we could look better by either increasing the difficulty of A levels or making us do more of them. There's international applicants to many courses in the UK with up to ten A levels (or their equivalents).

Unfortunately many people on this forum have made me out to be a boastful, unsympathetic troll-like person.
Reply 131
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Huh? What did I do? :confused:

LOOL
Reply 132
Earlier you said A LEVELS are easy, when you are only taking a small variation in subjects? Arts an A Level, would you be able to get an A* in that with little effort? The A isnt there for show, its stands for Advanced....

SO NO. A LEVELS ARE NOT EASY.
Reply 133
Well at AS I got full marks in 6 different modules.

I understand the idea you're putting across but saying that a lot of people miss out on full marks because of silly mistakes it isn't really justified.

Full marks on 6 AS modules? Or full UMS? Anyway congratulations but always strive for perfection, can't call anything easy if you're not perfect
Original post by QUANTAM
I dont't understand the point of this thread. Are you trying to reach people like yourself? Or are you just being egotistical?

Trying to reach people who felt the same as me, but most people ASSUMED I was being egotistical. This is what happens on the student room, somebody has an opinion differing from those of others or the norm and everyone jumps on you. Unfortunately most of this thread has involved me defending myself.
Trying to reach people who felt the same as me, but most people ASSUMED I was being egotistical. This is what happens on the student room, somebody has an opinion differing from those of others or the norm and everyone jumps on you. Unfortunately most of this thread has involved me defending myself.

It's pretty sad that you felt you needed to post it in the first place lol...
Reply 136
Well if you think they're too easy then go for full UMS instead. If you then don't get full UMS you have failed as a human and should proceed to wear a wooly overall and feast on grassland in southern Skegness
Original post by yorkshire.lad
It's pretty sad that you felt you needed to post it in the first place lol...

How so? Because it was an opinion that contradicts those of others? That kinda' defeats the purpose of free speech. But putting that aside if you think about the many thousands of pointless same-old threads that are started everyday on the student room then this one looks alright to me.
How so? Because it was an opinion that contradicts those of others? That kinda' defeats the purpose of free speech. But putting that aside if you think about the many thousands of pointless same-old threads that are started everyday on the student room then this one looks alright to me.

Stop waffling garbage lol. You'd do well in politics. It evidently is not alright look at all the negs... lmao
Original post by yorkshire.lad
Stop waffling garbage lol. You'd do well in politics. It evidently is not alright look at all the negs... lmao

Waffling garbage? It's widely accepted that someone with an opinion (no matter how against the norm it is) is allowed to express it freely without receiving a tonne of verbal abuse.

I wouldn't have posted the thread if I had cared about getting negative rep. Starting this thread has shown me that about 1 in 5 people actually agree with me, and I'm happy enough with that.

Quick Reply

Latest