Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Would anyone at uni mind posting what they spend out each week?

ReputationRep:
    All depends really. A normal week around £20ish and around £40+ when going out.

Ib4 rich kids say "I spend £900 every week"

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    What I budget for a week for uni in September. Is £30 for food, £20 for extras. Certain things in my budget is monthly or yearly. For example, I'll be paying my rent, car insurance/tax/service/mot, tv licence, parking permit. These I'll pay of at start or when there needed. So yearly basis. Monthly cost that I have is phone bill and my travel cost which I budget at £45 per month. Live with your means. To get a weekly budget you need to work out all your cost. From roughly the money you will have . If you can try to leave some spare cash for any unexpected cost.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My budgets £50 a week and I usually spend less, this is in Brighton (Sussex uni).

Food: My average allowance for food is £20 a week although I'll normally do a bigish shop every 3 or 4 weeks at ~£30 and every other week I spend £15 max on stuff I've ran out of/really fancied. I could definately spend less if I chose too though, I eat a lot of frozen stuff and snacks.
    Going out: I allow £20 a week for going out, easily pays for one night out and two if I predrink properly and maybe smuggle a drink into the club. For predrinks I get a cheap bottle of vodka from sainsburys, it's like £9 and lasts me a good couple of weeks and I also sometimes stock up on drinks when they're on special offer. I usually only go out once a week though, some weeks I don't go out at all- I'm not a massive partier.

I wash my clothes every 2 weeks (unless I go home) at the uni launderette which costs me around £4 a time and I don't spend much on travel really, an all day/night bus ticket is £3.50 which I usually get either once or maybe twice a week.

Oh- I'd advise against buying textbooks, atleast not right away. I bought some for my first term, barely used them & even from amazon they aren't cheap! Your library will probably have plenty of copies, this term I've been perpetually renewing library textboooks aha. Or maybe you could see if you can buy them cheap off of students in the year above. A lot of people don't bother with them at all.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.