Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Computer Science Firmers 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Kalisnoir
Hope you get what you need! I thought I had the grades I needed but turns out when I got my SRF (Student Report Form) after I finished college my Tutor was mistaken and I was just short. I emailed my proposed tutor and told me to send him a support letter (I got one from my tutor) and he's passed it on to the admissions team. Now I need to wait to A-Level results day before they give me an offer.

Fingers crossed for you too then! :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 121
Whats up guys, new member here,
Firmed Newcastle Uni for computer science few months ago... currently here in Newcastle ( 3 weeks to go as
I'm doing foundation because I'm an international student).
Reply 122
Original post by JavaLife
Whats up guys, new member here,
Firmed Newcastle Uni for computer science few months ago... currently here in Newcastle ( 3 weeks to go as
I'm doing foundation because I'm an international student).

I'm an international student tooo !! But I'll be arriving on 17 th sept. for the welcome session !!! 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 123
Original post by karan1239
I'm an international student tooo !! But I'll be arriving on 17 th sept. for the welcome session !!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

will I am not sure that I will attend that week since I'm already a student in the university, I think I will attend the following week which is induction week... because I will be home until 20th Sep.
Reply 124
will I am not sure that I will attend that week since I'm already a student in the university, I think I will attend the following week which is induction week... because I will be home until 20th Sep.

Where are you from ?, if you don't mind me asking.
Reply 125
Original post by Maths94
Where are you from ?, if you don't mind me asking.

it's ok, Saudi Arabia.
Reply 126
What is this, a graveyard?
Reply 127
What is this, a graveyard?

lol :biggrin:

I'm still here. I always keep an eye out on this thread as I have an unconditional offer for this September.
Original post by EagleWing
lol :biggrin:

I'm still here. I always keep an eye out on this thread as I have an unconditional offer for this September.

My place on the course was confirmed last week so I'm still here as well. In an attempt to get the conversation flowing a bit more, what kind of equipment are people taking?

I have a desktop here that I use for games but I'm thinking about just taking my laptop running Linux Mint. It's fast enough, it'll save room and the lack of available games should keep me focused. I'll miss having my screens though :frown:
Reply 129
Original post by 4c:75:6b:65
My place on the course was confirmed last week so I'm still here as well. In an attempt to get the conversation flowing a bit more, what kind of equipment are people taking?

I have a desktop here that I use for games but I'm thinking about just taking my laptop running Linux Mint. It's fast enough, it'll save room and the lack of available games should keep me focused. I'll miss having my screens though :frown:

Thinking about selling my desktop and duel monitor ( Space is unnecessary and unneeded ) . Considering purchasing Mac air which i know many of you probably opt against.
Reply 130
Planning on taking my desktop & 2 monitors to uni. i7 3770k nothing special about it really. Hopefully going to get a Surface Pro just waiting too see when the release date for Surface Pro 2 (Haswell version)
Reply 131
Original post by Maths94
Thinking about selling my desktop and duel monitor ( Space is unnecessary and unneeded ) . Considering purchasing Mac air which i know many of you probably opt against.

Well my gaming rig is a few year old now and frankly it's way too big (CoolerMaster HAF922 case) to take on the train home (leaving my car at home) so I'll be buying a MacBook Pro (non retina because I want to upgrade RAM / Storage myself) although waiting till they update them with Haswell chips first. I'll be going back to my PS3 (soon PS4) for gaming needs since they're much better for social gaming.

Still living in hope that they will accept me come the 15th!

[QUOTE=4c:75:6b:65;43722839]My place on the course was confirmed last week so I'm still here as well. In an attempt to get the conversation flowing a bit more, what kind of equipment are people taking?

When I emailed my proposed tutor about taking OSX he suggested I bootcamped Windows as well although I'm not sure if this is because of my course (Game engineering) since Java is pretty good at running on both without any or much change depending on the library(ies) you use and thats what we mainly use. He also said we can get free Windows Licences as well though so no need to go pirating if you ain't got one already.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 132
I have checked the labs that the uni has... they only run Windows and Linux as I recall.
asked one of last year students, he said they use windows for everything but needed Linux for shell programming only.
Reply 133
I have checked the labs that the uni has... they only run Windows and Linux as I recall.
asked one of last year students, he said they use windows for everything but needed Linux for shell programming only.

All the more reason to get a Mac if you ask me...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 134
Original post by Kalisnoir
All the more reason to get a Mac if you ask me...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I get your point, but watch out not to start a Mac vs Windows discussion, nobody wants to bore himself to death with such a thing :s-smilie:.
Reply 135
Original post by 4c:75:6b:65

Does this mean you have an unconditional offer also? :smile:

I am bringing a Windows 7 machine (junk) and a Macbook Pro. Hardly use the mac tbh but I'll take it just incase. Will bring an extra monitor. Might buy a new Windows, depending on how I do financially towards uni. I have Ubuntu on my mahine but hardly ever use it.

There is always something that can waste time - doesn't have to be games xD. Do you have your accommodation sorted? I'll be at Windsor Terrace, Fife house.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 136
I get your point, but watch out not to start a Mac vs Windows discussion, nobody wants to bore himself to death with such a thing :s-smilie:.

Haha I currently run Windows 8 and Linux (Elementary OS) so I'm not fan boy of anything. Can't make apps for iOS though without a Mac and you'll find it hard to write program for OSX if you don't have access to one so seems silly not to have a Mac with bootcamp Windows if you ask me as I like seeing software not restricted to one platform / system.

Original post by EagleWing
Does this mean you have an unconditional offer also? :smile:

I am bringing a Windows 7 machine (junk) and a Macbook Pro. Hardly use the mac tbh but I'll take it just incase. Will bring an extra monitor. Might buy a new Windows, depending on how I do financially towards uni. I have Ubuntu on my mahine but hardly ever use it.

There is always something that can waste time - doesn't have to be games xD. Do you have your accommodation sorted? I'll be at Windsor Terrace, Fife house.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can get a copy of Windows for free when you get to Uni :smile:
Reply 137
Ive never used Linux !! Is it necessary ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 138
Original post by karan1239
Ive never used Linux !! Is it necessary ??

Posted from TSR Mobile

No knowledge of programming is expected so you'll be fine
Reply 139
anyones offer being confirmed yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending