Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I'm new here, I joined this site because I found a lot of answers to my questions on here in the past and now I want to ask some myself.

I'm 19 and have decided I want to go to university, I have always been the vocational type but really not by choice, my dad sort of pressured me into joining his marine engineering business in Brazil when I was in year 11 which meant leaving and not quite getting my gcse's ( missed exams by like a week ). So there on I was a marine engineer, eventually returned to the uk and joined the navy as a marine engineer, completed my training and was on the verge of medical discharge from and injury when my step father died, which brought a swift end to that.

with few options left I found out about the Access courses, I applied to science and health related professions and intend on choosing biology and chemistry, I would really like to study neuroscience at university. I will be starting the course in September hopefully.

So with everything put into perspective here are my questions.

- am I likely to be accepted at a reasonably good university given i achieve the credits required?
    - will I be eledgible for funding to cover the costs of my course (£815 I believe). I don't have a levels so I should be able to do it for free?
    - are access students entitled to student loans to cover the costs of uni?
    - do we have the same rights to accommodation?
    - Is having a job at university vital or just an advantage? (Obviously I would get one as soon as possible)
    - Is food affordable with leftover loan if spent wisely?

Any other help or advice would be massively appreciated as I am clueless right now and unsure as to weather I will be able to afford it, I will have zero help from parents. I was filled with questions the other day but right now I'm tired and can't think, thanks in advance x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackBandicoot)
    Ok so I'm new here, I joined this site because I found a lot of answers to my questions on here in the past and now I want to ask some myself.

I'm 19 and have decided I want to go to university, I have always been the vocational type but really not by choice, my dad sort of pressured me into joining his marine engineering business in Brazil when I was in year 11 which meant leaving and not quite getting my gcse's ( missed exams by like a week ). So there on I was a marine engineer, eventually returned to the uk and joined the navy as a marine engineer, completed my training and was on the verge of medical discharge from and injury when my step father died, which brought a swift end to that.

with few options left I found out about the Access courses, I applied to science and health related professions and intend on choosing biology and chemistry, I would really like to study neuroscience at university. I will be starting the course in September hopefully.

- am I likely to be accepted at a reasonably good university given i achieve the credits required? Depends on the uni and the course, but in principle no reason why not.
    - will I be eledgible for funding to cover the costs of my course (£815 I believe). I don't have a levels so I should be able to do it for free? You need to check with the college.
    - are access students entitled to student loans to cover the costs of uni? If you are eligible for loans, the qualifications that got you in to university don't matter.
    - do we have the same rights to accommodation? Yes
    - Is having a job at university vital or just an advantage? (Obviously I would get one as soon as possible) It depends on your financial situation. People can find it hard to manage studies and work, but many do it out of necessity.
    - Is food affordable with leftover loan if spent wisely? In most cases student loans are enough for the accommodation costs and not much else.

Any other help or advice would be massively appreciated as I am clueless right now and unsure as to weather I will be able to afford it, I will have zero help from parents. I was filled with questions the other day but right now I'm tired and can't think, thanks in advance x
    You need to establish whether you are eligible to pay Home fees, as you have been out of the country for some time by the sound of it. If you are not eligible for Home fees you will not be eligible for student loans either.

ReputationRep:

- am I likely to be accepted at a reasonably good university given i achieve the credits required?
    - will I be eledgible for funding to cover the costs of my course (£815 I believe). I don't have a levels so I should be able to do it for free?
    - are access students entitled to student loans to cover the costs of uni?
    - do we have the same rights to accommodation?
    - Is having a job at university vital or just an advantage? (Obviously I would get one as soon as possible)
    - Is food affordable with leftover loan if spent wisely?

Heyy I don't know if you are UK Student but I am going to be doing Neuroscience at UCLAN in September. They want 300 points (BBB)

ReputationRep:

Get the best grades you can, and you might have a go at the League unis. With a life experience like that, I think you've already distinguished yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Minerva for taking the time to answer my questions, I'm a little ill informed on the matter but you've helped clear things up. I think it's three years before I'm not eligible for student finance so I should just be okay as my periods away never exceeded a year.

Heyy I don't know if you are UK Student but I am going to be doing Neuroscience at UCLAN in September. They want 300 points (BBB)
    So envious of you Anyafrieda, good look with that I hope it goes well.

Get the best grades you can, and you might have a go at the League unis. With a life experience like that, I think you've already distinguished yourself.
    I intend to do my very best and have familiarised myself with the access course structure and I have no problems with that sort of thing. Thank you for the comment anyway I feel a little better about it .

ReputationRep:

I intend to do my very best and have familiarised myself with the access course structure and I have no problems with that sort of thing. Thank you for the comment anyway I feel a little better about it .
    That was deserved.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Minerva for taking the time to answer my questions, I'm a little ill informed on the matter but you've helped clear things up. I think it's three years before I'm not eligible for student finance so I should just be okay as my periods away never exceeded a year.
    You need to have been living here for three consecutive years to qualify - check out the Student Finance section of the forum, there's more information in there.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.