Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

The internet is a beautiful thing Watch

ReputationRep:
    The internet is like a mask. The mask gives everybody little consequence for their actions, which means that people can be true to how they feel - They can tell the truth without real consequence. The only consequences on TSR are negs and a illogical child-minded people, neither of which I place high importance/value on.

With this mask, we can all tell the truth. We can tell each other what we believe to be true, and why we've come to these beliefs, without fear of repercussion.

Seemingly on this site, the truth is ugly. Lots of people have a big problem with those who believe in god, but the actual truth is that the existence of god cannot be known. God as we were told exists can of course be rejected, well done everyone who sees through this false belief.

So thankyou, internet, for being a vehicle in which the truth can spread laterally.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Just remember though that trolls are the unwanted by-products of the internet :borat:

On a more serious note though, the internet is a fantastic concept and has completely changed people's lives.

Can you imagine life without internet?

Just think about it for a minute...

except when it comes back to haunt you and ends careers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)

It would be slow, quiet and clueless - you would have to rely on friends and libraries to check facts, many would go permanently unchecked. No Wikipedia is almost unthinkable. One would visit banks to undertake all major and minor transactions and write cheques to everyone.

People would also talk to each other more and they would walk upright in the streets, with their hands mainly by their sides and their gaze generally towards the front.

There would be a lot more typing of memos.

ReputationRep:
    trolls can be solved simply by this thread. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2282547

James A it's likely we never would have communicated without the internet... so for that I'm grateful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    except when it comes back to haunt you and ends careers
    that's just one side of the coin though. Watching that gif over and over is part of the other side :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    They say childbirth is beautiful as well.

They lied.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    It would be slow, quiet and clueless - you would have to rely on friends and libraries to check facts, many would go permanently unchecked. No Wikipedia is almost unthinkable. One would visit banks to undertake all major and minor transactions and write cheques to everyone.

People would also talk to each other more and they would walk upright in the streets, with their hands mainly by their sides and their gaze generally towards the front.

There would be a lot more typing of memos.
    Of course, it would make us all more social :yep:

Also, the internet has helped to catch criminals with campaigns etc.

ReputationRep:
    Of course, it would make us all more social :yep:

Also, the internet has helped to catch criminals with campaigns etc.
    It's funny watching old cop shows - they do endless rummaging in filing cabinets, they browse paper files, lose documents and they have to return to HQ for every discussion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippysnake)
    They say childbirth is beautiful as well.

They lied.
    True. It's full of pain, cries and blood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Cat)
    The internet is like a mask. The mask gives everybody little consequence for their actions, which means that people can be true to how they feel - They can tell the truth without real consequence. The only consequences on TSR are negs and a illogical child-minded people, neither of which I place high importance/value on.

With this mask, we can all tell the truth. We can tell each other what we believe to be true, and why we've come to these beliefs, without fear of repercussion.

Seemingly on this site, the truth is ugly. Lots of people have a big problem with those who believe in god, but the actual truth is that the existence of god cannot be known. God as we were told exists can of course be rejected, well done everyone who sees through this false belief.

So thankyou, internet, for being a vehicle in which the truth can spread laterally.
    I am the internet. Thanks for the compliment.

Weeeeell, it used to be. The governments are (inevitably) reigning it in now, plus the big corporations have their hooks firmly into every aspect of it (Google, Facebook, tracking and storing our activities in order to target ads and other such soulless crap) and in another decade it'll be a shameful husk of the free, open world that it was when I started "internetting" back in 1999. Already, young teens know very little of the internet other than Facebook (to the point where the two terms might as well be interchangeable). Not to mention teens being arrested for "daring" to commit such heinous crimes as questioning the validity of the Royal Family.

ReputationRep:
    Just remember though that trolls are the unwanted by-products of the internet :borat:

On a more serious note though, the internet is a fantastic concept and has completely changed people's lives.

I agree 100% with you. However it is is really nice to disconnect from it for a bit. It's liberating...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhumbauze)
    Weeeeell, it used to be. The governments are (inevitably) reigning it in now, plus the big corporations have their hooks firmly into every aspect of it (Google, Facebook, tracking and storing our activities in order to target ads and other such soulless crap) and in another decade it'll be a shameful husk of the free, open world that it was when I started "internetting" back in 1999. Already, young teens know very little of the internet other than Facebook (to the point where the two terms might as well be interchangeable). Not to mention teens being arrested for "daring" to commit such heinous crimes as questioning the validity of the Royal Family.
    Really ? do you have an article for this?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ADBwriter)
    I agree 100% with you. However it is is really nice to disconnect from it for a bit. It's liberating...
    Indeed it is, I'm really curious as to how much technology would be affected by the lack of an 'internet'.

I doubt there would be smartphones, because people primarily use it for social media, well most of them.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Without the internet, I'm not able to write here on TSR and I like it to interact with English-speaker members by now. The internet made it possible to talk with people in other parts of the world all the time without to be there. From this perspective the internet became to an important medium in communication.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed it is, I'm really curious as to how much technology would be affected by the lack of an 'internet'.

I doubt there would be smartphones, because people primarily use it for social media, well most of them.
    I know! I sometimes wonder what would be of the world when it begins suffering an energy crisis and we have power cuts. That's why it's always good to understand that relying on technology too much could be counterproductive.
    But don't get me wrong... I think internet is a wonderful thing that should be appreciated and used wisely. It's like the Wardrobe door to a whole Narnia of useful (and sometimes not so useful) information. Well, in every fairy-tale there has to be some bad guys, right?

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.