Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

I want a girlfriend, but girls get a 'gay vibe' from me? Watch

(Original post by Miracle Day)
    Are you sure you can't get a girlfriend because you're unattractive?
    That might actually be the case. I mean I am not very good looking, I've accepted that. I'm only 6ft 1, I'd like to be 6ft 3, I'm overweight. My hair isn't as brilliant as it should be. Although, I'm ****ing amazing looking compared with some people who have girlfriends, so I can use logic to prove that this isn't the issue.

ReputationRep:
    Seems like you're just friendzoning yourself with the girls you talk to? It also seems like you haven't even tried to ask someone out yet; for the most part to be successful you have to advertise yourself as a potential partner rather than a potential friend from day 1 of knowing someone. You currently are advertising yourself as "That generous guy with virtually no friends".... not exactly attractive is it?

Hi there,

Well the obvious question that I need to ask you is: Are you sure you aren't gay for a start? If you are confident that you have no sexual/emotional attraction to males, then we need to look at why girls get this 'gay vibe' from you.

You say you lack male friends. That is a potentially huge factor. Guys who are constantly surrounded by girls all the time, however is never attempting to 'make a move', is usually perceived as gay.

As said, have you actually been told that you give off a 'gay vibe' or are you just assuming?

The biggest thing that I must stress is to BE YOURSELF. You don't need to change yourself for people. If you are sure you are not gay, then just stay as you are. There will be a girl who wants you as a boyfriend and likes you for who you are. Just be patient.

Please don't feel like you have to start football to get a girlfriend or anything like that!

[B]I am not a person who tells people things, you people probably know more about me than most of my sixth form[/B]

Sounds like a close friend of mine. He has all the characteristics you describe including the fashion thing; some of our friends jokingly refer to him as gay even though when asked he always says he isn't. I've talked to some of my girl friends in private, who genuinely suspect he is gay. However, I personally find all those characteristics you describe that he has appealing, trust him when he says he's heterosexual, and would go out with him if the situation ever went that way. I can understand you being worried, but don't lose hope; you can definitely get a girlfriend because you sound like a nice guy, which is by far the most important thing.

ReputationRep:
    From what I read in your post, at least, they did not say this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaG5SAw1n0c

So it's fine.

ReputationRep:
    Confidence issue?

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by mickiship2012)
    Confidence issue?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What would make you think that? I'm interested because I see myself as a confident person.

ReputationRep:
    Like Is it a confidence issue when people are around u?

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Anonymous)

Saying that, I don't really get on with anyone at sixth form, and there are just two people who I feel a friendship connection too, both of these people are girls. Despite the fact they've known me for over a year now, they just ignore my presence when they discuss weekend plans ect, which I don't mind, but it's clear they really don't like me.
    This is the exact same situation as what I'm in at sixth form! Are you thinking of going to university? Because the way I see it, once you've left sixth form you're unlikely to see any of those people again and it'll be a fresh start where you'll hopefully meet other males and females who you'll form good friendships with! Don't let it get to you too much.

(Original post by SnoochToTheBooch)
    that's the red flag for me. All that other stuff you've mentioned doesn't necessarily scream gayness, more just being a sensible, mature person - but the more a man take care of his appearance, the further towards that "potentially gay" threshold he moves.
    This is ridiculous, have you seen the amount of straight males in relationships who wear jeans so skinny it basically looks like they're wearing tights? If anything, I'd say heterosexual males take more pride in their appearance more than anything else...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superduper9)
    Mate, its all in your head. No one said that being a guy means you have to love football, swear a lot, say crude things to women you think are hot and dress like a slob. You will find that there a lot of guys who like all sorts of different sports or activites, treat girls with respect, only banter with their good mates and dress well depending on the occassion. That doesn't make any guy less manly and it definitely doesn't make him feminine or gay. Goodness, if every guy was the typical "man", then the world would be .... well, screwed.

You need to be comfortable with your likes, dislikes, behaviour, attitudes and personality. You don't have to be bullied into being something you're not. Girls, it would seem, appreciate self confidence and someone who can hold his own, not collapse under pressure. You can be just the way you are and find a nice girlfriend - most likely, the ideal match for you, which may be a unique girl of sorts, hasn't crossed paths with you. Just stay true to yourself mate.
    This!!!!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.