Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

'Why would nobody help me?' Father punched in the face 18 times by racist thugs Watch

ReputationRep:
    A father who was racially abused and beaten on a tram packed with hundreds of passengers has told how not a single person came to his aid as he was attacked.

Manchester United fan Prakash Patel, 56, was on his way home from a match at Old Trafford with his daughter Devyani when a group of men boarded the tram and began hurling racist slurs at him. When he pleaded with them to 'behave', they began repeatedly punching Mr Patel in the face and head.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2NjuDXhLW
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Whilst it's disgusting this was allowed to happen, I believe other peoples priority was self preservation in this situation. Why this happened in the first place is sick.

ReputationRep:
    If there were 7/8 of them, it's no surprise that nobody intervened. It's disgusting and very sad, but we no longer live in a society where enough people would have had the community spirit to group together and overpower these thugs.

ReputationRep:
    Poor man

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely disgusting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBritishArmy)
    If there were 7/8 of them, it's no surprise that nobody intervened. It's disgusting and very sad, but we no longer live in a society where enough people would have had the community spirit to group together and overpower these thugs.
    The train was packed with hundreds of passengers though, sad nobody helped him. Even if I was the only one willing to step in, I would rather know that I tried my best to help than not do nothing at all.

ReputationRep:
    Its very sad, that is someone's child and nobody deserves that, people should keep their hands and feet to themselves

ReputationRep:
    Some pussy mandems in the park didn't do **** either when my friend got mugged at MIDDAY.

Messed up society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinda.college)
    The train was packed with hundreds of passengers though, sad nobody helped him. Even if I was the only one willing to step in, I would rather know that I tried my best to help than not do nothing at all.
    If you do cost-benefit analysis, the rational decision is to not intervene.

ReputationRep:
    I understand that people would be fearful of a group of violent thugs, but surely if there were that many people someone would have thought to gather the people around and outnumber the thugs? What the thugs did was despicable and they should rot in jail, but I sympathise to some degree with the passengers. Until, you're in that situation, you wouldn't know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    I would wager that nobody would have stepped in, and you would have been brutally sparked. Harsh as that may sound, the guy quoted below is correct.

(Original post by Fusion)
    If you do cost-benefit analysis, the rational decision is to not intervene.
    Exactly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    I understand that people would be fearful of a group of violent thugs, but surely if there were that many people someone would have thought to gather the people around and outnumber the thugs? What the thugs did was despicable and they should rot in jail, but I sympathise to some degree with the passengers. Until, you're in that situation, you wouldn't know what to do.
    The tram was apparently so packed that no one could move (his words), so I'm not sure trying to intervene with no room to really operate in would have helped. And, besides, it's impossible to direct a group effort in that situation when you don't know if anyone else will help you. Of course, all of the 200 people going in at the same would have been the best possible scenario, but that's not going to happen and chances are other people will get hurt if they stepped in. People aren't going to take that risk.

ReputationRep:
    If this had been a brown gang beating a white man you bet the comments here would be a lot different lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Some random guy)
    If this had been a brown gang beating a white man you bet the comments here would be a lot different lol.
    "Sure they yelled racial terms at him, but how do we know it was racially motivated?! Maybe they think he just likes eating crackers, then they slipped and their hands hit his face!!! Anyway, slave labour and oppression happened before any of these people were born!!!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    "Sure they yelled racial terms at him, but how do we know it was racially motivated?! Maybe they think he just likes eating crackers, then they slipped and their hands hit his face!!! Anyway, slave labour and oppression happened before any of these people were born!!!"
    Yeah I didn't mean it like that. People would be up in arms about expelling brown peeps from the country.

ReputationRep:
    If one or two people step in then more follow. It just takes that courage to stand up to thugs even if you think you'll be alone in your fight.

ReputationRep:
    A Manchester United fan?

Little wonder no one intervened.

ReputationRep:
    Its easier to say you would than to actually to do it. I'm sure a lot of people would like to think they would take the beating with the man, but very few would.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    How exactly does this work? Do you shout hey everyone lets help this guy getting assaulted by scumbags and hope they all simultaneously agree, as if they don't the thugs are likely to beat the **** out of you too?
    I know intervening is the right thing to do but it is also easier said than done. I highly doubt the father himself would have intervened had he seen someone else being assaulted by a gang on the train.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds a bit like the bystander effect.

It only takes one... poor man .

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.