Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

On benefits already? No more money for extra children Watch

• View Poll Results: Should people already on benefits receive more benefit money if they have more kids?
    No, if you are on benefits you should not be asking the state for more handouts
    83.64%
    Yes, those already on benefits should receive more money if they have more kids.
    16.36%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    I know - these days having kids and not working makes life so much easier
    Another joke about the NHS funded course you still get a bursary on maternity leave. NO! You should not be getting pregnant on a 3 year course and still get bursary!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LauraJ.123)
    Another joke about the NHS funded course you still get a bursary on maternity leave. NO! You should not be getting pregnant on a 3 year course and still get bursary!

These people know each baby means more money!
    It's disgusting abuse of public funds and you're dad was denied help- this shows how dysfunctional the welfare system is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    It's disgusting abuse of public funds and you're dad was denied help- this shows how dysfunctional the welfare system is
    Yeah exactly and it's on not fair when they get extra time to study because they don't have to work. The bursary goes on my parents earnings from last year so that means I get nothing. It should be an equal bursary like it was on the older nursing degree.

ReputationRep:

(Original post by a729)
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say this probably happens to less then a hundred people. probably less. No system is going to cover every conceivable possibility.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah exactly and it's on not fair when they get extra time to study because they don't have to work. The bursary goes on my parents earnings from last year so that means I get nothing. It should be an equal bursary like it was on the older nursing degree.
    Not the systems fault that your parents are able to support you but choose not to...

ReputationRep:
    The government annoys me so much!
    It wastes billions yet fails the most deserving at times

You hear stories of veterans who end up homeless yet there are people like those on your course who are living a much better quality of life than many in full time work!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izzyeviel)
    Not the systems fault that your parents are able to support you but choose not to...
    her family are unable to do so, since her dad lost his job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izzyeviel)
    Seeing as my dad was made redundant over a year ago and my mum is now the main provider, they actually can't support me and as I'm not longer a child I don't think they should have to support me. I was annoyed at the fact people on my course that don't work are actually better off than my family right now.

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as my dad was made redundant over a year ago and my mum is now the main provider, they actually can't support me and as I'm not longer a child I don't think they should have to support me. I was annoyed at the fact people on my course that don't work are actually better off than my family right now.
    That's essentially the point I was making on the other thread!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    her family are unable to do so, since her dad lost his job
    I thought you were saying in other threads that benefit claimants are all scroungers and had the easy life and could afford flat screen tvs and iphones? :confused::confused:

ReputationRep:
    Basically the argument was how they've messed up the benefit system, it was designed for people who can't work as a safety net. My dad lost his job after paying taxes for 30 years and because my mum works we aren't 'poor' enough to get any support. Which means people who don't work and have many kids are getting more money than us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iron Lady)
    Benefits and children aren't a human right.
    What difference does it make if the child starves to death rather burns to death?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    You think their life will be rosier with a couple of scumbags for parents?
    They're going to have them anyway. It's just a choice between them being incredibly poor scumbags or not so incredibly poor scumbags.

ReputationRep:
    It's a shame you have such a negative view of those bettering themselves through education. Sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate.

What do you suggest happens to those who have children at Uni? If you withdraw financial support they will almost certainly leave the course. That is much more of a waste of resources than giving someone £10k for 12 months. You don't have children do you? They are hard work. They cost a lot of money and are a constant drain on your time and energy.

For someone who hasn't yet paid into the system but has taken a fair bit from it, you sure have a lot of views of how tax payers money should be spent.

Your dad will have been entitled to conts based JSA for 6 months as per the current law. Next year your bursary assessment will reflect his drop in income. Concentrate on your own studies and get rid of that chip on your shoulder. Life isn't fair, no one ever said it would be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Socktor)
    What difference does it make if the child starves to death rather burns to death?
    Don't have a child(ren) unless you can be responsible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1on4)
    It's a shame you have such a negative view of those bettering themselves through education. Sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate.

What do you suggest happens to those who have children at Uni? If you withdraw financial support they will almost certainly leave the course. That is much more of a waste of resources than giving someone £10k for 12 months. You don't have children do you? They are hard work. They cost a lot of money and are a constant drain on your time and energy.

For someone who hasn't yet paid into the system but has taken a fair bit from it, you sure have a lot of views of how tax payers money should be spent.

Your dad will have been entitled to conts based JSA for 6 months as per the current law. Next year your bursary assessment will reflect his drop in income. Concentrate on your own studies and get rid of that chip on your shoulder. Life isn't fair, no one ever said it would be.
    Children are a choice, you sign up to the "drain on time and energy". Fair enough if they have a job on the side or receive financial help from parents. But I do think it's unfair that taxpayers: 1) pay their fees and 2) pay for their children, when really, they should have been more careful. I dislike the preferential treatment, what makes them so special that they should get taxpayers money?

However, those made redundant can't always control their loss of job in a recession. Of course they should have savings, but favouring people who choose to have children fully knowing that they are studying or may not be able to afford them, is unfair.

ReputationRep:
    I think Child Benefit should be capped at 2 children, if there must be any Child related benefits at all.

ReputationRep:
    Benefits have ruined this country... People actually don't want to work because of them

Posted from TSR Mobile e

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AyeFaye)
    Realistically, your solution changes nothing, simply decreases the opportunity and quality of life of the new and existing children.

It's easy to say "BAN ALL NEW BABIES TO THIS SCUMBAG FAMILY," but break it down to a case by case basis and you're missing a hell of a lot.

People have no empathy.

Get a grip, people are sick of working, paying for their own kids then have to pay for lazy people to breed.

This soft benefit system has destroyed the working class work ethos!

ReputationRep:
    Why is it fine to say it when we're talking about this country, but the second you suggest that poor people in Africa shouldn't have kids, it's "their human right" and they need to do it to make sure they have people to care for them. My parents are completely dependent on benefits, although they had jobs when I was born, because my dad has a severe mental illness and also a physical disability (and before you ask, no, it's not just a "bad back") - and my mom isn't well either, and I care for them. Why is it wrong in the UK to have kids who can care for you, thus saving the NHS money - but in Africa, it's all fine and good?

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.