Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

What do You Fear Most about Death? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm not scared of death at all. Not my own anyway. I am scared of my loved ones dying though. That's a horrible thought.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing to be honest, dying on the other hand I fear or being long protracted and painful. But on the plus side finally get to see if all this heaven/hell/72 virgins etc crap is real or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Cat)
    Really, you've tried it? Personally I'm a bit scared of anything harder than weed, but reading experiences with DMT was interesting for me. I did read about the DMT released at death theory, which yes does explain our concept of heaven and hell existing.

Can I ask, what's the perception of time when you were on DMT?
    I've taken it one time a few weeks ago, and may go for it again tonight, I'm in that sort of mood, lol. I didn't quite have the full breakthrough experience with aliens and alternate dimensions that you hear about, I didn't quite leave the room, but it was still a ****ing intense 15 or so minutes. I need to refine my smoking technique to be able to get as much of it into my lungs as possible before I become incapacitated. Well, it was vaporized actually, not smoked, I have this little glass bong-ish crackpipe looking thing to take the hit from. First I had one hit, and it was very mild visual effects, so I had another one straight after and held it in as long as I could. The longer I held my breath the crazier it got, it was like a rocket blasting off, I had this electric body buzz and the whole room just exploded with colour, getting exponentially crazier with each passing second. Very hard to put into english but it was almost kaleidoscopic, crazier visuals than even the height of an acid trip. Then I closed my eyes and was entranced by these crazy morphing wire-frame geometric shapeshifting patterns totally washing over me, all around me. All I needed was one more hit and I would have been "there", whatever that place really is. I really want to see it having heard so much about it but it's a scary thing, no doubt. My thinking is that if I can somehow become accustommed to it then it can be some sort of preparation for death, instead of being terrified I could hopefully embrace it.

As for my perception of time on it - it felt like a short trip, I was surprisingly totally lucid and able to sort of rationally observe what was happening to me in a way, it wasn't like a feeling of being intoxicated or partially insane like acid has. I never lost sense of time as far as I can remember, but I have read that when you get the full blown reality shattering experience it's like an eternity.

ReputationRep:
    So it seems most of us here seem to conclude that death is nothingness, non-existence. I thank everybody for their replies, I assure you I am grateful for your articulation of feelings on this subject. There will be a follow-up thread regarding death as non-existence and the implications of this on our lives in the present.

ReputationRep:
    Dying on the toilet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sereni)
    Your conscience is not a separate entity... It dies with your brain. You don't sound particularly on the atheist/theist fence if you know you will see your relatives after death
    I know, but I am beginning to question my beliefs as to whether God exists or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGoonerGirl)
    I know, but I am beginning to question my beliefs as to whether God exists or not.
    What is your perception of god?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Cat)
    What is your perception of god?
    :dontknow: I'm trying to work out what my perception of God is at the moment.

(Original post by A Cat)
    Assuming you fear it at all. I'm interested to hear people's opinions on this subject.

Firstly, please input as to what your conception of death is. Do you go to an afterlife? Is it non-existence, nothingness? Reincarnation?

Secondly, if you fear death, please do say why. Even the most seemingly trivial reasons are valid. Don't be fearful of what you have to say

Thanks for reading
    The part I fear most about death is the process of becoming dead. This is usually painful. Most people arrive at the pearly gates either seriously sick or injured.
    Death itself isnt that bad. The way I see it you revert to the same state you were in before you were born. Nothing to fear in that regard.

ReputationRep:
    You didn't fear the enveloping blackness before your birth, so why fear that nothingness when you die?

On a less sombre note: I like tacos.

ReputationRep:
    I am scared about "nothingness" but since I think there will be nothing it's quite hard to comprehend and if there's nothing I won't know anyway. The dying part doesn't bother me so much I have seen loads of people die, if in the right place it can be very peaceful.

ReputationRep:
    There might be life after death, there might not.

The real matter of importance is to not let it govern your life through the fear of it, either directly or indirectly. Once you can overcome the fear of your own annihilation by letting go the the attachment to all the things you love and stop trying to control he reality you find yourself in, you will be free to live.

ReputationRep:
    I don't fear death. I fear dying. I very much don't want to die (ever, though I recognise I'll have to at some point, sigh) because I enjoy life, but death isn't particularly scary in itself.

(Original post by A5ko)
    On a less sombre note: I like tacos.
    Who doesn't? :party:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to die just yet, it's too soon, I have things to take care of and there's still so much to look forward to.

But when I do die, I want it to be quick and painless.

ReputationRep:
    Scared of the opportunities I will lose.

ReputationRep:
    The idea of not being able to think scares me; so again a 'nothingness'. I am an atheist but I hope I can find faith before I die, that would make the process a whole less daunting.

ReputationRep:
    im not afraid of death. i look forward to it. the only reason people are scared is because they dont know what happens when they die

ReputationRep:
    we should accept that death is also a necessary part of life.....

ReputationRep:
    I'm not afraid of death, but rather of dying.

ReputationRep:
    Oblivion.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.