Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

What do You Fear Most about Death? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pastaferian)
    Even I doubt the stories of the beer volcano and stripper factory promised to us in the Afterlife
    You heathen! I hope you end up drinking stale beer and contract STDs from the strippers in hell!

ReputationRep:
    Only thing that scares me is the dread my family would go through. I've heard that. Ome parenta hate out live their children
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a fear of death, but of losing my opportunity to contribute in the ways I have recognised are important to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGoonerGirl)

If there is no afterlife, where do our consciences go?
    When you turn off the computer where does the your software go? Where does your software applications go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Cat)
    Assuming you fear it at all. I'm interested to hear people's opinions on this subject.

Firstly, please input as to what your conception of death is. Do you go to an afterlife? Is it non-existence, nothingness? Reincarnation?

Secondly, if you fear death, please do say why. Even the most seemingly trivial reasons are valid. Don't be fearful of what you have to say

Thanks for reading
    I have concept of death that applies to others but I have no concept of death that applies to me. I have always been alive for as far as I can remember so the idea of a time where I won't be alive is pretty much impossible for me to think about. That being said I am a physicalist rather than a metaphysicalist so the concept of Heaven and the afterlife does not do it for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGoonerGirl)
    I'm scared of dying because it can happen any day and is so destructive. At the moment I'm torn between my faith and being an atheist. I believe that there is something after death but I don't know what. I don't know what Heaven is like but I know that I will be reunited with my dead relatives when I die.

If there is no afterlife, where do our consciences go? That question has always fascinated me. Are we reincarnated, what happens? Personally I don't believe in reincarnation.
    I'd just like to say that that is a perfectly reasonable point to make. I need to say that before some militant atheist shoots it down.
    I myself am not sure whether God exists, but what I do know is that there is an immaterial reality.
    Though the conscience and emotion associated with it may be caused by hormones and neurones and a load of physical things, thought itself is immaterial. It is being caused by material things, but the thing in itself is immaterial. This is very important because it suggests being material is not a pre-requisite for existence.

ReputationRep:
    After seeing and observing people tending to dead bodies at the hospital where I work, I'm not so stressed about death when I think about it. It looked like the person's "essence", whatever that may be, had left them. Where this goes I'm not sure, but the body was all that remained, almost like an empty shell. I'm not really religious, but this was the impression I got. I think my family's grief would be the thing I most fear otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PolarBearSlayer)
    I'd just like to say that that is a perfectly reasonable point to make. I need to say that before some militant atheist shoots it down.
    I myself am not sure whether God exists, but what I do know is that there is an immaterial reality.
    Though the conscience and emotion associated with it may be caused by hormones and neurones and a load of physical things, thought itself is immaterial. It is being caused by material things, but the thing in itself is immaterial. This is very important because it suggests being material is not a pre-requisite for existence.
    You don't have to be a 'militant' atheist to disagree with something. You don't even have to be a militant anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkhead)
    You don't have to be a 'militant' atheist to disagree with something. You don't even have to be a militant anything.
    I didn't say 'disagree' I said 'shoot down'. A 'militant' atheist would 'shoot down' that persons point and label them as some kind of idiot. A 'reasonable' atheist would not.
    Equally a 'militant' Christian may try and 'shoot down' an atheist's opinion, with little regard to the fact that that atheist is entitled to his/her opinion.
    Conversely a 'reasonable' Christian would most probably consider and respectively disagree with an atheist's opinion.

I assume you were replying to someone else as you've used a straw man fallacy to refute something I never said.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say 'disagree' I said 'shoot down'. A 'militant' atheist would 'shoot down' that persons point and label them as some kind of idiot. A 'reasonable' atheist would not.
    So? Why did you have to mention it? It's like you're flame-baiting.
    Should I preface every post I make with 'I need to say this before a militant so and so shoots it down!'.

I assume you were replying to someone else as you've used a straw man fallacy to refute something I never said.
    Don't see how it's a straw man.
    Shooting down doesn't mean calling someone an idiot. It means to clearly expose something as false or to disappoint someone, which is not limited to militant anyones.

Maybe you should pick better words if you don't want people misunderstanding.

ReputationRep:
    I'm intrigued by it, rather than scared. Whilst it will be a pity to go, might as well make the most of life whilst we can rather than pin our hopes on an afterlife.

As I'm an atheist, and the concept of 'souls' causes more problems than it solves, I'm resigned to the totality of it - but hey, as others have said, no reason to worry about the inevitable!

ReputationRep:
    I believe in heaven so not death itself,

What I fear is my family/friends reaction to my death.

ReputationRep:
    So? Why did you have to mention it? It's like you're flame-baiting.
    Should I preface every post I make with 'I need to say this before a militant so and so shoots it down!'.

Don't see how it's a straw man.
    Shooting down doesn't mean calling someone an idiot. It means to clearly expose something as false or to disappoint someone, which is not limited to militant anyones.

Maybe you should pick better words if you don't want people misunderstanding.
    Oh jog on will you. I've seen it all the time in threads whenever something vaguely religious is raised, there are nearly always a number of atheists who will quite happily ridicule a religious person in an abhorrent and disrespectful manner simply due to their views. My stance is that everyone is entitled to their opinion and hence topics as sensitive as religion should be treated respectfully.

You initially just interpreted 'shooting down' as merely 'disagreeing' and now according to you ' It means to clearly expose something as false or to disappoint someone, which is not limited to militant anyones.'. 'Disagreeing' and 'clearly exposing something as false' are not the same.

If you replied with something along the lines of 'I do not see why you should label people 'militant atheists' for clearly exposing falsity, which I interpret the phrase 'shoot down' ( which you have used) to mean', then you could perhaps say the straw man fallacy did not exist. However, I was not insinuating that all people who 'shoot down' arguments are 'militant atheists', merely that 'militant atheists' tend to 'shoot down' the opinions of others, which I see as unreasonable. Indeed, you have interpreted 'shooting down' as 'exposing as false'. In my mind, an opinion is an opinion, you can 'disagree' or 'agree' but cannot necessarily deem it 'false' (or at least not without coming across very arrogant). This is especially true in regard to religion where 'God' aka the immaterial reality/deity/whatever cannot be simply refuted through empirical proof, as that would constitute trying to disprove a 'higher reality' through observations made in a lower one, which makes no sense. That's not to say God exists, but is rather an unfortunate aspect of the monotheistic 'God' which makes God hard to refute on that basis. It is also the reason why 'faith' is just that, empiricism doesn't play a part.

Anyway, long story short, don't read so far into flippant remarks and since you clearly weren't just being flippant when you chose to reply, work on your phrasing too.

Moreover, I was clearly addressing the particular individual and not you. I will also point out that this is a causal forum, not a solicitor's letter. I will not painstakingly draft and redraft 25 second responses just so overly-sensitive busybodies like yourself can get a goodnight's sleep.
    I was semi-joking during that last line, so don't take it personally.

Sleep well.

ReputationRep:
    Not knowing what'll happen to the world when I'm gone. I love History, watching Empires rise and fall. I want to see what happens to the world's current cast.

To be frank I'm not too hot on death at all. Might give it a miss.

ReputationRep:
    Oh jog on will you.
    Mature.

I've seen it all the time in threads whenever something vaguely religious is raised, there are nearly always a number of atheists who will quite happily ridicule a religious person in an abhorrent and disrespectful manner simply due to their views. My stance is that everyone is entitled to their opinion and hence topics as sensitive as religion should be treated respectfully.
    That clearly didn't happen here. There is no need to preface your post with such a sentence, it is inflammatory.
    Perhaps I should start doing the same but replacing atheist with 'Christian'.

You initially just interpreted 'shooting down' as merely 'disagreeing' and now according to you ' It means to clearly expose something as false or to disappoint someone, which is not limited to militant anyones.'. 'Disagreeing' and 'clearly exposing something as false' are not the same.
    Disagreeing and exposing as false are not the same, but the latter follows the former. If you disagree with something, you will try to show it is wrong.

None of that is even remotely close to calling someone an idiot, as you claimed shooting down was.

However, I was not insinuating that all people who 'shoot down' arguments are 'militant atheists', merely that 'militant atheists' tend to 'shoot down' the opinions of others, which I see as unreasonable.
    Again, why mention it? My initial post was just a considerate reply with my opinion, you're the one who blew it out of proportion (and continue to do so, btw).

Anyway, long story short, don't read so far into flippant remarks and since you clearly weren't just being flippant when you chose to reply, work on your phrasing too.
    No, I only started being flippant when you said I used a strawman, and only then to try and clarify what you and I meant.

Moreover, I was clearly addressing the particular individual and not you. I will also point out that this is a causal forum, not a solicitor's letter. I will not painstakingly draft and redraft 25 second responses just so overly-sensitive busybodies like yourself can get a goodnight's sleep.
    I was semi-joking during that last line, so don't take it personally.

Sleep well.
    I can reply to whoever I want, after all, this is a casual forum.
    I was also not being pedantic, I only brought the definitions up since you said I used a strawman.

You too, hopefully next time you don't write out an essay and claim the other person is blowing it out of proportion.

ReputationRep:
    Mature.

That clearly didn't happen here. There is no need to preface your post with such a sentence, it is inflammatory.

Disagreeing and exposing as false are not the same, but the latter follows the former. If you disagree with something, you will try to show it is wrong.

None of that is even remotely close to calling someone an idiot, as you claimed shooting down was.

Again, why mention it? My initial post was just a considerate reply with my opinion, you're the one who blew it out of proportion (and continue to do so, btw).

No, I only started being flippant when you said I used a strawman, and only then to try and clarify what you and I meant.

I was also not being pedantic, I only brought the definitions up since you said I used a strawman.

You too, hopefully next time you don't write out an essay and claim the other person is blowing it out of proportion.
    'Disagreeing and exposing as false are not the same, but the latter follows the former.'

Good luck with that.
    I need to sleep. Bye.

ReputationRep:
    Mature.

II think you know what i mean and vice versa. I only locked horns as i was challenged. There is no point you and I trying to out debate each other based purely on technicalities. I maintain that a little remark clearly designed to safeguard somebody from insensitive attack, which i think you will agree can be a problem on this for apropos religious discussion, was not meant to be inflammatory. It was aimed at people who say inflammatory remarks to the religious :'militant atheists'. Only a militant atheist should take note, not a reasonable one. Was it clear? No. Did i spend 25 seconds writing it? Yes. Am I tired? Yes. Are you? God knows ( actually i ought to rephrase that but ah well). Were you picking up on a relatively minor part of my point? Imo,yes. Was my mad essay justified? I replied to your comment with a paragraph and I still hold the view that you had not clearly addressed what i said and hence a straw man fallacy existed. You then multi quoted me so i declared thermonuclear war and most probably nuked the wrong country.

Should we now sleep? Yes. Btw ignore my previous reply, i am on my phone so misread what you said.

ReputationRep:
    "You too, immortal?"

"No, I just don't fear death"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    I have concept of death that applies to others but I have no concept of death that applies to me. I have always been alive for as far as I can remember so the idea of a time where I won't be alive is pretty much impossible for me to think about. That being said I am a physicalist rather than a metaphysicalist so the concept of Heaven and the afterlife does not do it for me.
    on the basis of the million pound question, are you immortal?

ReputationRep:
    I don't fear death in itself, though I am afraid of dieing without achieving anything substantial in life.

I am actually quite curious about death, finding out the truth about what happens after, so I'll probably welcome it when I'm ready.

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.