Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm currently in Year 11, my options being History, French and IT. I've been thinking about taking A Level Geography. I e-mailed the head of Geography and she said that it is do-able, and I won't be too far behind as most of the topics are new anyway. According to the seldom updated website, it's Edexcel.

I don't doubt that the head of Geography has a pretty good idea about the A Level, but has anyone here done the A Level without the GCSE? How hard was it for you?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonoahx)
    Hi,

I'm currently in Year 11, my options being History, French and IT. I've been thinking about taking A Level Geography. I e-mailed the head of Geography and she said that it is do-able, and I won't be too far behind as most of the topics are new anyway. According to the seldom updated website, it's Edexcel.

I don't doubt that the head of Geography has a pretty good idea about the A Level, but has anyone here done the A Level without the GCSE? How hard was it for you?

Thank you!
    I know of people who have done it without it at GCSE, and they've done fine. I know sometimes it's a requirement to have studied it at GCSE but it's not impossible.

Maybe just in the remainder of the year buy/borrow a GCSE geog textbook (preferably Edexcel, like your a-level course) and just read over topics. Read maybe a bit before you go to bed each night or something.

Alternatively, just begin looking at the units in a-level geography, and study parts of those at a lower level (gcse)

ie, if a unit on Geography is about population and industries then study over gcse level population and industries. (I don't do GCSE Geography so I have no idea about either a-level or gcse topics, this almost definitely isnt one)

Bear in mind that no matter if you took it at GCSE or not, your commitment to Geography will ultimately decide if you flourish in the subject!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dylann)
    I know of people who have done it without it at GCSE, and they've done fine. I know sometimes it's a requirement to have studied it at GCSE but it's not impossible.

Maybe just in the remainder of the year buy/borrow a GCSE geog textbook (preferably Edexcel, like your a-level course) and just read over topics. Read maybe a bit before you go to bed each night or something.

Alternatively, just begin looking at the units in a-level geography, and study parts of those at a lower level (gcse)

ie, if a unit on Geography is about population and industries then study over gcse level population and industries. (I don't do GCSE Geography so I have no idea about either a-level or gcse topics, this almost definitely isnt one)

Bear in mind that no matter if you took it at GCSE or not, your commitment to Geography will ultimately decide if you flourish in the subject!
    Hi,

Thanks for the help. At my school, it's only a requirement to have studied either History or RE (everyone studies RE but not many people bother to try in it) and get a B in either. I study both and it'd be unlikely if I got below a B, in History at least.

I may as well take your idea up and get one of the old CGP revision guides and see what happens from there.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.