Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

We SHOULD cut welfare spending! Watch

• View Poll Results: Should we cut welfare spending?
    Yes
    56.30%
    Leave it as it is
    21.98%
    No-increase welfare spending
    21.72%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DWConde)
    If a person is actually doing something that even slightly improves productivity... then that's not a non-job.

When there are more unemployed people than jobs... then you have an issue where you have a work force surplus...

You either kill them off... ship them away..
    or do the right thing and invest in the economy and create more jobs.

Benefits are actually more expensive when you conisdder the admin behind it all.
    If I steal from Peter and give to Paul, how does that increase the combined wealth of Peter and Paul?

ReputationRep:
    I feel like I am debating a brick wall and when they do reply it is offensive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izzyeviel)
    :confused:

No-one said anything about creating 'fake governmental jobs' that's something you've imagined.
    Then what jobs are you referring to?

Oh let me guess- you mean the Government could build lots of roads for no reason whatsoever except those people who p***ed about at school can't get a job because they have no qualifications?

Peter and Paul answer please? How does stealing from Peter and giving to Paul increase the wealth of Peter and Paul?

ReputationRep:
    Actually in terms of overall spending, it's better to be a student in England... per pupil you get a lot more funding than in Wales....

Same applies in Health too !

It's not because you don't have your own government either... most MP's not from England abstained in the vote.
    Though no
    free prescriptions,
    free parking at hospitals
    free(or discounted) tuition fees

The devolved parliaments get money which can be spent on policies to more or less buy support of the people at the expense of the English ( especially London which subsidises the rest of the UK to the tune of £20 billion a year)

ReputationRep:
    I think welfare spending should be increased.

I completely disagree with the idea that welfare is a "privilege" and not a "right". Welfare SHOULD be seen as a right. Why? Simply for the reason that people should help people and try to make sure that almost everyone has at least the necessary things to survive. That would be housing, health and healthy food.

The people who struggle to afford those 3 things, are not always junkies. Or even if they are, in the majority of cases, they had no choice (Please dont offer me with anecdotal evidence, im talking about the majority)

For those who claim that welfare spending should be decreased, ask yourselves the following questions:

1) Have you ever lived on the streets? slept on the street, in the cold? Do you know how it feels? can you imagine how it feels? Do you really think that the majority of homeless people you see constantly on the street ended up like that because they made the conscious decision to go bankrupt because of a drug addiction?
    2) Have you lived in a country in which you have to pay £50 or more every time you visit the doctor for even the most minor things? And another £50 for your prescription. There are people in countries like Greece at the moment (and I should know, im from there) that can either afford their medicine or food. Not both. Do you want a similar situation for British people?

Yes, you British people are lucky (comparatively) for having free health, free education and a state that will help. But there is still room for improvement. I really wonder and have to ask some of you: when you see a homeless person on the street, begging for money, sitting in the cold and the rain when you're out having fun with friends, do you really think the government should introduce a bedroom tax/cut welfare? Don't you feel ANY empathy? Don't you want to offer them a warm room to sleep in and a cup of tea?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    If I steal from Peter and give to Paul, how does that increase the combined wealth of Peter and Paul?
    How would you be stealing from Peter???

You obviously don't have any notion of how private jobs are created???
    Starts with investment... that spurs inovation.. expansion.. or relocation from abroad...

Which create jobs...
    Which moves money in to the UK
    Takes come from the jobs created..
    People with jobs don't need as much/any benefits...

They spend in shops...
    VAT goes to gov..
    Shops get busier... they may need more staff..

And repeat.

ReputationRep:
    Again, there are very few scroungers.. and most attempts to whittle the system down to target scroungers usually hurt the most vulnerable people anyhow..

It's non-discriminatory when it's not on a personal basis..... it's like Chemotherapy.. it don't give a ****.. it's gonna whittle down until it can't any more.
    Not really - it would also reduce benefit fraud which costs billions each year- we could definitely have funded the Olympics from cutting benefit fraud alone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmak7)

I completely disagree with the idea that welfare is a "privilege" and not a "right". Welfare SHOULD be seen as a right. Why? Simply for the reason that people should help people and try to make sure that almost everyone has at least the necessary things to survive. That would be housing, health and healthy food.

The people who struggle to afford those 3 things, are not always junkies. Or even if they are, in the majority of cases, they had no choice (Please dont offer me with anecdotal evidence, im talking about the majority)

For those who claim that welfare spending should be decreased, ask yourselves the following questions:

1) Have you ever lived on the streets? slept on the street, in the cold? Do you know how it feels? can you imagine how it feels? Do you really think that the majority of homeless people you see constantly on the street ended up like that because they made the conscious decision to go bankrupt because of a drug addiction?
    2) Have you lived in a country in which you have to pay £50 or more every time you visit the doctor for even the most minor things? And another £50 for your prescription. There are people in countries like Greece at the moment (and I should know, im from there) that can either afford their medicine or food. Not both. Do you want a similar situation for British people?

Yes, you British people are lucky (comparatively) for having free health, free education and a state that will help. But there is still room for improvement. I really wonder and have to ask some of you: when you see a homeless person on the street, begging for money, sitting in the cold and the rain when you're out having fun with friends, do you really think the government should introduce a bedroom tax/cut welfare? Don't you feel ANY empathy? Don't you want to offer them a warm room to sleep in and a cup of tea?
    If you aren't British then you don't understand the situation- so no offence but you have no idea of the debate. You probably think our poor are lying about on the street- they aren't. They have 40 inch Plasma TVs.... still reckon benefits doesn't need cutting?

ReputationRep:

Starts with investment... that spurs inovation.. expansion.. or relocation from abroad...

Which create jobs...

They spend in shops...
    VAT goes to gov..

And repeat.
    Investment from who?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    Though no
    free prescriptions,
    free parking at hospitals
    free(or discounted) tuition fees

The devolved parliaments get money which can be spent on policies to more or less buy support of the people at the expense of the English ( especially London which subsidises the rest of the UK to the tune of £20 billion a year)
    But on the same footing... with out Wales helping you guys out... as part of the block grant agreement... you're actually in a situation where you don't have enough power to power England.. or the water required.

the UK gov gives the devolved gov's money so they can use it how they want... if England decided they wanted to follow suit.. they are well within their rights to do so....

It's not special treatment for devolved nations.. it's poor governance for England my friend.

ReputationRep:
    Then what jobs are you referring to?

Oh let me guess- you mean the Government could build lots of roads for no reason whatsoever except those people who p***ed about at school can't get a job because they have no qualifications?

Peter and Paul answer please? How does stealing from Peter and giving to Paul increase the wealth of Peter and Paul?
    See below.

Which create jobs...

They spend in shops...
    VAT goes to gov..

And repeat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izzyeviel)
    See below.
    See above- where does the investment come from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    Not really - it would also reduce benefit fraud which costs billions each year- we could definitely have funded the Olympics from cutting benefit fraud alone!
    That depends on entirely what paper you read my friend.....

ReputationRep:
    If you aren't British then you don't understand the situation- so no offence but you have no idea of the debate. You probably think our poor are lying about on the street- they aren't. They have 40 inch Plasma TVs.... still reckon benefits doesn't need cutting?
    :lol:

ReputationRep:
    You can get a 40 inch plasma tv for £300. Probably less. Hardly outrageous when you consider it's a one off purchase that should last a few years.

ReputationRep:
    Investment from who?
    You do realise that across the ocean there are people? with roads... and money? don't you?

For instance.. Toyota... Sharps... then you get foreign companies that buy things we produce...
    Landrovers??? Solar Pannals???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    OR...we should not have spent such an extortionate amount of money on two weeks of sports in the first place, when so many people are struggling to make ends meet. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrHappy_J)
    :lol:
    If you think I am imagining- unfortunately I am not..... I personally know plenty of people as I described.

ReputationRep:
    You can't use that word mate, you can say:

"That is an utterly ****king developmentally delayed system"

or

"That is an utterly ****king learning difficulty system"

Trust me on this one!
    True, I think even the handicapped would realise that paying women who have no job and are generally scum to have kids is beyond idiotic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmak7)

No one spoke about changing the NHS

Welfare in NOT a right - people should be grateful for how generous the UK is

Anything you get from the government was taken from someone else by force!
    I am suggesting people claiming benefits should have to complete community service- if they are physically able to ,of course.

Removing welfare from the work-shy it can be redirected to building social housing to help reduce homelessness

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.