Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

We SHOULD cut welfare spending! Watch

• View Poll Results: Should we cut welfare spending?
    Yes
    56.30%
    Leave it as it is
    21.98%
    No-increase welfare spending
    21.72%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by euphful)
    What's wrong with single parents?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nothing it's just a case of people should wait till they can afford kids before having them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    Nothing it's just a case of people should wait till they can afford kids before having them
    But that has nothing to do with single parents does it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    But that has nothing to do with single parents does it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Didn't you see Laura's anecdote?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    It's a Lib-Con or Con-Dem coalition not a Tory government

Anyhow it inherited an economy which was in dire straits with a major deficit

Potentially UKIP could influence the parties to leave the EU and free up £48 million a day!
    It's a Tory-led government.

UKIP will have influence over the Tory party only. They'll have no MPs elected in 2015 but they will siphon off support from the Tories. Labour will win with a majority of between 60-90. Britain will not leave the EU.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    Didn't you see Laura's anecdote?
    Anecdote- precisely.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

UKIP will have influence over the Tory party only. They'll have no MPs elected in 2015 but they will siphon off support from the Tories. Labour will win with a majority of between 60-90. Britain will not leave the EU.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I reckon you could be wrong - UKIP will probably win most of the seat in 2014 MEP

UKIP will probably scrape up votes from all 3 as none wants to give us a referendum (and I distrust Cameron's 2017 pledge)
    Who really wants Ed M as PM?

Or ED B as chancellor?

ReputationRep:
    I think we need a reform on the whole tax system. Lower corporation tax, a slightly higher rate income tax (for 250k+), tighten loopholes on tax avoidance, tougher sentencing on tax evasion to deter people.
    The amount of lost revenue through tax avoidance and evasion is huge, there would not need to be so much austerity if the treasury got all the money it is legally entitled to.
    Some sort of deterioration of real value of welfare payments paid over time, maybe household related and a system in which to claim jsa you have to contribute to the tax system.
    These are a few of my ideas, but I think the fact so many people employ accountants to avoid tax and save more money in the long-run is fundamentally flawed.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Anyhow Scotland leaves - Tories will thrive as England is a Right-leaning country compared to Scotland or Wales

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    I reckon you could be wrong - UKIP will probably win most of the seat in 2014 MEP

UKIP will probably scrape up votes from all 3 as none wants to give us a referendum (and I distrust Cameron's 2017 pledge)
    Who really wants Ed M as PM?

Or ED B as chancellor?
    UKIP represent a threat to the Tories mostly, and they generally pick up disaffected Tory voters. I can't imagine them winning even one seat in 2015, because the votes on the right are split. They probably will come top in the European Parliament elections because they tap in to people's fears about the EU. I can't see that translating to any major gains in 2015.

I'd prefer Mr B to Gideon right now; he has to be the worst chancellor in living memory and has presided over a depressing period in economic history for which he and his policies are to blame.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    Anyhow Scotland leaves - Tories will thrive as England is a Right-leaning country compared to Scotland or Wales
    Scotland won't vote for independence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DWConde)
    Did you think about all the other vulnerable people out there? Your proposals would make homeless...
    So you think the guy in this story who motorbikes and claims incapacity benefitS!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...y-useless.html

ReputationRep:
    UKIP represent a threat to the Tories mostly, and they generally pick up disaffected Tory voters. I can't imagine them winning even one seat in 2015, because the votes on the right are split. They probably will come top in the European Parliament elections because they tap in to people's fears about the EU. I can't see that translating to any major gains in 2015.

I'd prefer Mr B to Gideon right now; he has to be the worst chancellor in living memory and has presided over a depressing period in economic history for which he and his policies are to blame.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Time will tell

That's your opinion but Ed will certainly not be any better

ReputationRep:
    Scotland won't vote for independence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Time will tell

ReputationRep:
    *cough* Pensions... *cough*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhumbauze)
    This is literally never the case, as in-work benefits scale with income. The only way it would happen is through disability, or by having a disproportionate number of children.

I do feel that the young & childless in low-wage employment are currently given a rough deal - being unable to claim Working Tax Credits until the age of 25. It seems rather ridiculous... that someone's financial requirements are going to be dramatically different at 25 than 24. The assumption seems to be that under-25s can "just live at home with parents"... when clearly this is not always the case. It's a rather broad stroke. The answer is clearly not "cutting it" for the over-25s though - but rather, lowering the age to a more reasonable 21.

Or again, demanding a living wage.

But that won't happen.
    Demand a living wage? You realise this will never happen whilst employers can import workers from across the EU!

Have you seen how low the Romanian national minimum wage is?
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013...n_2715049.html
    It is not in employers' interests to pay more than the minimum wage when they have a ready supply of workers abroad willing to do the work for the NMW.

Let's face it, the working class are being absolutely shafted by immigration. Which is why I just can't understand why those on the left are generally so in favour of EU immigration. They should be absolutely against it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gladders)
    You know who are the real scroungers? Old people. Pensioners now constitute a majority of all recipients of taxpayers' money, and they all every single one of them do not work.

Let's pick on them!
    Well it won't be long before the pension time bomb goes off....

Everyone needs to be made aware that they will either have to work far longer, or pay far more in NI contributions if they expect to receive the state pension when they retire. People can no simply longer expect to receive a pension whilst being uneconomically active for a third of their lives.

I fully expect NOT to have a state pension when I retire.

However, any reforms should not affect current pensioners - I think that is a basic issue of fairness - they paid their NI and were promised a pension, therefore they should get it. How were they to know their NI contributions would be insufficient to fund their pensions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    It's not. Tax credits are.
    It's not. Pensions are.

ReputationRep:
    Would anyone be able to explain this position to me?

1.Success is a function of wealth.

2.The greater the success any one person has in a country the better it is.

3.We should reduce immigration
    and
    4.Reduce the number of people of benefits.

If I were a wealthy business owner, my profit decreases with the number of people that are alwayss umemployed and in the job market at any given time, as the cost of hiring them would increase wih the amount of people who are not unemployed at any given time.

If Immigration increases the size of the worker pool and benefits decreases it, why support both 3 and 4?

Also,
    if
    5.anyone is not one of the most successful
    and
    6.The greater the success of yourself the better the country is.
    why also support 2 by methods that appear to reduce the flow of wealth to you, for the end of 6?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    Not just the poor receive welfare

All elderly people get £400 from the government and free bus travel regardless of wealth!
    They account for most of the uptick in welfare spending since 2008 (this uptick is itself totally insignificant and was higher as recently as 2002). However, the elderly are the only group whose entitlements have not been cut.

This is because the grey vote is so important.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is we both have different views about the kind of lifestyle families on benefits live. In my work as a PCSO and now with the health service, I see and have seen first hand poverty you wouldn't think existed in this country, in areas of high deprivation. I'm not sure I accept your assessment of child poverty because I know otherwise. Lastly, I'd never condemn an entire generation as you seem to be advocating. I really really hope you never have to experience true deprivation and have to rely on the kindness of others.
    And this is the problem. I too have seen poverty first hand and seen how some struggle, but how many abuse the system. If your poor - have kids...and many know this :facepalm: Also if you are being honest, you will also realise that many of these people should never be parents and they should have be sterilised long ago as they are just going to produce children with massive problems.

So what is the solution then? You suggest nothing. That is terrible. Can you not suggest anything even though this system is so broken? :curious:

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.