Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

We SHOULD cut welfare spending! Watch

• View Poll Results: Should we cut welfare spending?
    Yes
    56.30%
    Leave it as it is
    21.98%
    No-increase welfare spending
    21.72%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    Tell me- what do you propose? Making the less successful wealthier?
    Some of us don't want the safety net being completely removed, welfare is a lifeline to many people in this country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Polymath)
    Believe it or not, welfare is not designed to punish the rich. It's designed to give the socio-economically disadvantaged an even playing field.

I do, however, think that welfare could and should be adjusted heavily :yes:
    Zero-sum game

Also, even playing field? So I achieve and do well and people like you try and steal from me to give to someone who didn't do so well at school to give them a chance at skipping all my hard work? That's what you just said....

They had an even playing field with free education and libraries!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgsie)
    Some of us don't want the safety net being completely removed, welfare is a lifeline to many people in this country.
    I asked you a question..... you didn't answer it.

Do you propose making the less-successful wealthier?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izzyeviel)
    Finland is a country that believes in welfare spending. It seems to be actually 'thriving'

Attachment 203023

Attachment 203024

OP, if you like Right wing politics so much, get a one way plane ticket to America and join the Republican party. I'm sure you'll be right at home. This is like your 65,686th thread on this subject.
    It's not a matter of right and left but fairness

It's UNFAIR to take from the hard-working to give to the work-shy

Welfare should help the disabled and vulnerable but shouldn't help the fraudsters and the lazy

And there's North Korea if you like left-wing policies so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgsie)
    I don't want the safety net removed it needs to stop been a barrier to allow the workshy to get something for nothing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izzyeviel)
    Finland is a country that believes in welfare spending. It seems to be actually 'thriving'

Attachment 203023

Attachment 203024

OP, if you like Right wing politics so much, get a one way plane ticket to America and join the Republican party. I'm sure you'll be right at home. This is like your 65,686th thread on this subject.
    Are you completely retarded? The fact that 93% of Finnish students "graduate" means their education system is amazing? Under Labour X% were getting 5x A* to GCSEs..... yet we all know the truth there! I wonder how many Finnish students attend the top universities in the world? I certainly never encountered any.....

Besides Nokia, what have Finland ever achieved?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I asked you a question..... you didn't answer it.

Do you propose making the less-successful wealthier?
    It's nothing to do with success. There are many hard working successful people in lower paid jobs because their chosen career doesn't pay a huge amount. We can't all be bankers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    I don't want the safety net removed it needs to stop been a barrier to allow the workshy to get something for nothing
    I have no problem giving benefits if they made people on benefits do X hours a week community service, excusable if they have job interviews etc.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I have no problem giving benefits if they made people on benefits go and do 20 hours a week community service, excusable if they have job interviews etc.
    Some people on job seekers are already made to do mandatory "voluntary work".

ReputationRep:
    I have no problem giving benefits if they made people on benefits go and do 20 hours a week community service, excusable if they have job interviews etc.
    I agree with the work scheme- give people work experience

That's a very good idea , I know many streets that could do with some cleaning!

ReputationRep:
    You're obviously well off, your parents earn lots of money and you've known no hardship. I suppose you think they should all just go out and get a job don't you? Fkin benefit scroungers, who cares about them aye?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr DaMan)
    You're obviously well off
    Yes, anyone who thinks giving people money for doing nothing must be a toff.....

Funny how today's definition of a toff is someone who isn't on benefits?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    It's a matter of right and left but fairness

It's UNFAIR to take from the hard-working to give to the work-shy

Welfare should help the disabled and vulnerable but shouldn't help the fraudsters and the lazy

And there's North Korea if you like left-wing policies so much
    You do realise one of the reasons welfare spending is so 'big' is that corporations make hundreds of thousands of people redundant so that they can pay a handful of shareholders a bit more? Is that Fair?

I'm more a centre person myself, there's more to politics then left and right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    I agree with the work scheme- give people work experience

That's a very good idea , I know many streets that could do with some cleaning!
    It needs revising. The way it is now means people are working for what aren't far off slave labour rates. If they're going to continue it they should revise the scheme so that if you work enough hours you get more than the £60 benefits a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr DaMan)
    It needs revising. The way it is now means people are working for what aren't far off slave labour rates. If they're going to continue it they should revise the scheme so that if you work enough hours you get more than the £60 benefits a week.
    Oh please , people also get housing benefit

What jobs give money specifically for accommodation? Bar MPs
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Zero-sum game

Also, even playing field? So I achieve and do well and people like you try and steal from me to give to someone who didn't do so well at school to give them a chance at skipping all my hard work? That's what you just said....

This free education you speak of obviously didn't work if you think that education and libraries are all that makes an even playing field.

ReputationRep:
    Zero-sum game

We need more righteous anger to help repair this country

ReputationRep:
    I have no problem giving benefits if they made people on benefits do X hours a week community service, excusable if they have job interviews etc.
    That's called "having a job".
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Zero-sum game

They're closing libraries down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    Oh please , people also get housing benefit

What jobs give money specifically for accommodation? Bar MPs
    Banking for one!

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.