Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

We SHOULD cut welfare spending! Watch

• View Poll Results: Should we cut welfare spending?
    Yes
    56.30%
    Leave it as it is
    21.98%
    No-increase welfare spending
    21.72%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Pensions aren't benefits. You paid your NI in order to receive them.
    Not necessarily - someone could decide not to work in favour of benefits all their life and claim a pension to be fair....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    Sure let's cut welfare.

But only if we abolish private schools.
    Why abolish private schools? They save government money. People who send their children to private schools contribute to the state school system as much as people whose children go to state schools. Abolishing private schools would only strain the state school system further.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    They wouldn't be working for nothing- they are getting quite a comfortable lifestyle compared to the working poor

Next thing you'll be saying giving community service to criminals is slave labour
    bull****. they would be getting nothing in exchange for their work.

benefit claimants are NOT criminals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    Easy - have more than one kid whilst on benefits, those balls get snipped and tubes are tied.
    As I said, no one in this country has an excuse to become accidently pregnant thus we should capitalise on this.
    I AGREE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Maggie was in power 1979-90, that was the time when welfare spending was at its highest.

The time when it was under control was under Blair, 1997-07.
    Some of her policies took some time to take full effect- the 80s was a turbulent time and there recessions as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    It wouldn't be so bad if there were jobs out there, which there aren't.
    Yeah I know what you mean, it's really hard to get a job at the moment, but I guess when more jobs become available, the government can starting cutting benefits.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RemiMarcelle)
    Yeah I know what you mean, it's really hard to get a job at the moment, but I guess when more jobs become available, the government can starting cutting benefits.
    They're already cutting benefits. From April, there's a benefit cap for most people of working age, council tax support will be cut and there's the housing benefit cap and bedroom tax.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kibalchich)
    All you've done here is demonstrate your ignorance of healthcare. Laughable.
    The by all means do explain why rather than just posting a single line :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dj1015)
    ONLY 23%..... Thats not much now is it...

lets see total expenditure last year was £682 billion. so 23% of that is.

682*0.23 = 156.86

Only £156.86 or £156,860,000,000.00

No, No. Not much at all....
    Why aren't you thinking of it in relativity? So £525,140,000,000.00 (the amount that ISN'T spent on benefits) isn't a lot either?
    The money that is spent by benefits still goes into our economy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kimina)
    The welfare system makes anyone who can be bothered to work poorer. Cutting welfare and using that money to stimulate the economy will probably make people richer
    That's what I've been trying to suggest to these lefties!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tea-Party)
    I also besides the 1000000 obvious advantages of being right wing dong get, how a real man can be left wing. A woman ok, but a man, just think about a left wing man is either gay, weak, or impotent. Being left wing is just the definition of being weak.
    Might it be that you find lefties less intelligent because you have never had any discussion with them which did not begin with shouting at them? Which by the way is not really intelligent behaviour.

I would give you the advice to challenge your ideas a little, read some interesting books, and you might be surprised how many good arguments you will ecounter which speak against your initial position. This is indeed probably not what you are looking for because presumably for you its not discussing welfare cuts but provocation (and you had success, gratulation)

This either leads to the conclusion that you are pretty young and thus still have lots of time to overthink your ideas and behaviour or you use your intelligence only to solve puzzles on intelligence tests. I hope for the first but guess its the latter.

Btw. nobody wants 1 year prison sentences for murderers and nobody wants absolute egalitarism but what would be so wrong with distributing wealth thorugh a wealth tax? It would certainly be good for the economy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellen_l)
    Why aren't you thinking of it in relativity? So £525,140,000,000.00 (the amount that ISN'T spent on benefits) isn't a lot either?
    The money that is spent by benefits still goes into our economy.
    But the money was taken out of the economy through taxes.

That's no excuse - there is too much spent on welfare

Why tax the working class into poverty to give to people who chooses not to work

I again reiterate my support for the safety net for the real needy

ReputationRep:
    The problem we have in this country is the benefits for nothing culture that was created by the last Labour governments under Blair and Brown respectively.

It should NEVER be an option just to sit on the benefit system and accept what you get off the government when you're not contributing anything yourself. Simple as that. Anyone who is not looking for work and is happy to sit there should be deported, no doubt about it.

However, will changing the benefits system work? No, I don't think it will. We need a whole culture and society change where people work for what they get and don't expect to be spoon fed. Our country as a whole needs a firework up it's arse and to realize that yes, times may be hard or whatever, but we still have it alot better than other countries such as India.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RemiMarcelle)
    Lower taxes would boost the economy and lead to more jobs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrHappy_J)
    bull****. they would be getting nothing in exchange for their work.

benefit claimants are NOT criminals.
    I extrapolated what you said..
    It will be totally legal to make benefit claimants to do some work experience- see the incoming legislation to passed by tuesday

There's nothing wrong with doing community service

I never said they were criminals

Stop swearing and keep a rational approach

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izzyeviel)
    Finland is a country that believes in welfare spending. It seems to be actually 'thriving'

Attachment 203023

Attachment 203024

OP, if you like Right wing politics so much, get a one way plane ticket to America and join the Republican party. I'm sure you'll be right at home. This is like your 65,686th thread on this subject.
    Uh, education spending is not 'welfare'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    I extrapolated what you said..
    It will be totally legal to make benefit claimants to do some work experience- see the incoming legislation to passed by tuesday

There's nothing wrong with doing community service

I never said they were criminals

Stop swearing and keep a rational approach
    I can't believe that.
    What benefit claimants are you talking about exactly? What about the disabled?

It is wrong to force people to work for nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrHappy_J)
    I can't believe that.
    What benefit claimants are you talking about exactly? What about the disabled?

It is wrong to force people to work for nothing.
    The people physically able to- I've said that before- you need to read rather than frothing at the mouth and swearing

By that last statement your commenting community service for criminals.

And it's not working for nothing- there aren't any working class jobs which pay for your rent ,so they wouldn't be working for nothing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    The people physically able to- I've said that before- you need to read rather than frothing at the mouth and swearing

By that last statement your commenting community service for criminals.

And it's not working for nothing- there aren't any working class jobs which pay for your rent ,so they wouldn't be working for nothing
    frothing at the mouth and swearing - LOL!

Last sentence doesn't make sense at all. If you're not paying them, theyre working for nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kimina)
    Why abolish private schools? They save government money. People who send their children to private schools contribute to the state school system as much as people whose children go to state schools. Abolishing private schools would only strain the state school system further.
    Then build more state schools.

It's so rich saying "We should cut welfare for the poor, meanwhile I'm sipping champagne in my second home in Spain while my children attend a private school so they can have the exact same lifestyle"

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.