Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

We SHOULD cut welfare spending! Watch

• View Poll Results: Should we cut welfare spending?
    Yes
    56.30%
    Leave it as it is
    21.98%
    No-increase welfare spending
    21.72%

ReputationRep:
    Ironic that the left-wing say that we can't cut benefits as there aren't enough jobs to go round for those seeking work, when they're probably the very same ones who harp on continually about the benefits of immigration! Their irony knows no bounds, honestly...

Welfare spending should be cut. It shouldn't be removed, as it's needed to help those genuinely in need. It should be a safety net between jobs, not a lifestyle choice for the idle. There are chavs leaving school who pop out kids like there's no tomorrow as they know they can receive extra benefits.

Welfare payments should be to those either genuinely unable to work or those that have been made redundant - not for the bone-idle.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    I have no problem giving benefits if they made people on benefits do X hours a week community service, excusable if they have job interviews etc.
    Alternatively, they could just create jobs instead of expecting people to do those things for free? Oh sorry, that would cost more money.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izzyeviel)
    Banking for one!
    I mean entry-level jobs

After there are not any millionaires on the dole (at least not legally)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    I agree with the work scheme- give people work experience

That's a very good idea , I know many streets that could do with some cleaning!
    Yes, lets make grads clean streets. Imaging how good that'll look on their CV's:rolleyes:

Work experience is pretty meaningless if it bears no relation to the job you're applying for. Stacking shelves/cleaning is not going to help you get a decent job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Callahan)
    Ironic that the left-wing say that we can't cut benefits as there aren't enough jobs to go round for those seeking work, when they're probably the very same ones who harp on continually about the benefits of immigration! Their irony knows no bounds, honestly...

Welfare spending should be cut. It shouldn't be removed, as it's needed to help those genuinely in need. It should be a safety net between jobs, not a lifestyle choice for the idle. There are chavs leaving school who pop out kids like there's no tomorrow as they know they can receive extra benefits.

Welfare payments should be to those either genuinely unable to work or those that have been made redundant - not for the bone-idle.
    this is exactly what I and billydisco have been saying!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    I mean entry-level jobs

After there are not any millionaires on the dole (at least not legally)
    There are millionaires on the dole.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, lets make grads clean streets. Imaging how good that'll look on their CV's:rolleyes:

Work experience is pretty meaningless if it bears no relation to the job you're applying for. Stacking shelves/cleaning is not going to help you get a decent job.
    It can be a sign of humility and can help someone stand out against the crowd

Something on the CV is better than nothing!

An employer would rather hear you were cleaning than on the dole watching Jeremy Kyle!

ReputationRep:
    Are you completely retarded? The fact that 93% of Finnish students "graduate" means their education system is amazing? Under Labour X% were getting 5x A* to GCSEs..... yet we all know the truth there! I wonder how many Finnish students attend the top universities in the world? I certainly never encountered any.....

Besides Nokia, what have Finland ever achieved?
    As well as Finland, the other Nordic countries who value the welfare system seem to do rather well in the Quality of life indexes...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Most of you have no idea at all what it's like to live on benefits.

ReputationRep:
    The Welfare System in this country is flawed to the point where it is broken. Needs to be completely reformed, and obviously have it's HUGE budget cut.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cannotbelieveit)
    The Welfare System in this country is flawed to the point where it is broken. Needs to be completely reformed, and obviously have it's HUGE budget cut.
    Labour have created a new class...the 'not-working class'

ReputationRep:
    As well as Finland, the other Nordic countries who value the welfare system seem to do rather well in the Quality of life indexes...
    That's VERY subjective

ReputationRep:
    Oh what does it matter whether the inhabitants of Finland et al have a far superior quality of life than their larger European neighbours; what's really important and makes us better is that we can't afford to spend money on welfare or the NHS or schools or libraries or social care but we can afford to waste £100bn on a replacement for Trident, or giving millionaires a tax cut, or letting Tory donors like Lord Ashcroft off with paying tax... I bet the Finnish people are incredibly jealous!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yet another thread by a child who has no idea what it's like to be on job seekers and how much of a lifeline it is. I worked for 10 years before finding myself unemployed and I'm glad the provision was there, I paid into the pot and took out from it when it was needed.
    The percentage of 'scroungers' that take from the welfare budget is minimal. Maybe we should look at MPs 2nd home allowance which they have just voted to have it increased by £1500.

Posted from TSR Mobilek

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cannotbelieveit)
    Housing benefit is the biggest strain on welfare spending. To me, the best way to get those costs down is through rent control. The UK rental market is vastly under-regulated and there are an awful lot of already well-off people making an awful lot of money by taking in housing benefit from government by over-inflating rental costs... There is nothing wrong with the welfare system as such; I'd rather my taxes went to helping people on benefits rather than facilitating a tax cut for millionaires from April 1st...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You want to know who the biggest benefits scrounger in the UK is?

The Queen.

She should be stacking shelves in poundland.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    Labour have created a new class...the 'not-working class'
    Where are the jobs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgsie)
    OH yeah lets make people poorer
    No, lets give the incentive for people to actually search for jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shomberlon)
    Yet another thread by a child who has no idea what it's like to be on job seekers and how much of a lifeline it is. I worked for 10 years before finding myself unemployed and I'm glad the provision was there, I paid into the pot and took out from it when it was needed.
    The percentage of 'scroungers' that take from the welfare budget is minimal. Maybe we should look at MPs 2nd home allowance which they have just voted to have it increased by £1500.

Posted from TSR Mobilek
    Completely agree on your point about 'scroungers'... It's just scaremongering and demonising of the poor and the disabled from a Tory party on it's knees facing electoral oblivion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tell me- what do you propose? Making the less-successful wealthier?
    Just don't take from those that need it the most.

I'm sure there are migrants that have families of 9 that life off of benefits, but there are also those who are physically unable to work and in need of benefits, those too old, of physically/mentally disabled. Why should you cut off the supply of benefits for everyone, when a minority are the problem everyone is complaining about.

Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.