Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

We SHOULD cut welfare spending! Watch

• View Poll Results: Should we cut welfare spending?
    Yes
    56.30%
    Leave it as it is
    21.98%
    No-increase welfare spending
    21.72%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S4LM4N)
    A post with DM ideologies has more positive ratings than negs? What kind of forum is this??
    I'm in the right - the people have voted in favour of both my post AND my question on the poll!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AtlasCanTakeIt)
    It irritates me when people who want for nothing in life, who (seemingly) have never had a relative fall ill or found themselves fallen on hard times, suggest that cuts to welfare for our most vulnerable will somehow stimulate growth.

Then they ignore my argument about the private sector hoarding and investment banks gambling money that isn't theirs.

How can your heads be lodged so far down into the sand?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    You ignored my initial post!

it says it all

people who can work but choose not too shouldn't get benefits

I hate it when people on jermey Kyle-who don't work but physically can if they wanted to- can afford their alcohol,drugs and ciggarates when working class people are struggling to pay the bills!

Which is paid for by taxing working people

Disabled people and the genuinely needy should get benefits

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    I'm in the right - the people have voted in favour of both my post AND my question on the poll!
    The question is loaded and attracted the support of people with similarly right wing views. Of which there is no shortage in the UK.

I hope you never have to claim benefits my friend. That pedestal you're on is less stable than you think

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    It irritates me when people who want for nothing in life, who (seemingly) have never had a relative fall ill or found themselves fallen on hard times, suggest that cuts to welfare for our most vulnerable will somehow stimulate growth.
    Agreed. There have already been many cuts to welfare in the last few years, including capping benefit rises to 1%, (apart from some disability benefits) limiting ESA work related activity group (WRAG) contributions based to 1 year, the benefit cap, universal credit, etc. Need I go on? Many people in this thread have no idea what it's like to live on benefits. We're not all bringing in thousands each year.

Oh, and if I worked 16 hours a week, I'd bring home more in benefits than I currently do on ESA. That situation isn't unusual either - it's the same for a single parent who works 16 hours per week and pays childcare. Why is no-one bothered about that? They won't be making enough to be taxed.

ReputationRep:
    The question is loaded and attracted the support of people with similarly right wing views. Of which there is no shortage in the UK.

I hope you never have to claim benefits my friend. That pedestal you're on is less stable than you think

It's true Maggie never lost an election! But Labour just had 13 years in power!

But you have to remember over 218 people answered the poll and I have received a lot of personal abuse on this thread

I have no intention of having say 10 kids to rake in benefits instead of working like some people do
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    You ignored my initial post!

it says it all

people who can work but choose not too shouldn't get benefits

I hate it when people on jermey Kyle-who don't work but physically can if they wanted to- can afford their alcohol,drugs and ciggarates when working class people are struggling to pay the bills!

Which is paid for by taxing working people

Disabled people and the genuinely needy should get benefits
    Where are these jobs? I find it hard to believe that 2m+ people are choosing to live on £71 a week instead of working and earning 3 or 4 times that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Agreed. There have already been many cuts to welfare in the last few years, including capping benefit rises to 1%, (apart from some disability benefits) limiting ESA work related activity group (WRAG) contributions based to 1 year, the benefit cap, universal credit, etc. Need I go on? Many people in this thread have no idea what it's like to live on benefits. We're not all bringing in thousands each year.

Oh, and if I worked 16 hours a week, I'd bring home more in benefits than I currently do on ESA. That situation isn't unusual either - it's the same for a single parent who works 16 hours per week and pays childcare. Why is no-one bothered about that? They won't be making enough to be taxed.
    I'm not saying everyone one benefits has it good but there are some people milking the system and that is where cuts in the welfare budget should be made
    We need to stop things like this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Mercedes.html
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    I'm not saying everyone one benefits has it good but there are some people milking the system and that is where cuts in the welfare budget should be made
    We need to stop things like this:

Why are you constantly linking to the Daily Mail? Their news stories aren't 100% true and they will publish these stories to make people think we're all scroungers. Meanwhile, there are people out there who have been denied benefits and have nothing to live on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    It's true Maggie never lost an election! But Labour just had 13 years in power!

But you have to remember over 218 people answered the poll and I have received a lot of personal abuse on this thread

I have no intention of having say 10 kids to rake in benefits instead of working like some people do
    People shouldn't be 'abusing' you, if anything it weakens their argument.

I just think you're ignoring socioeconomic causality. I see it so often in right wing ideology.

The opinion is there, but based on circular arguments.

Don't get me f**king started on Margaret Thatcher.

ReputationRep:
    Where are these jobs? I find it hard to believe that 2m+ people are choosing to live on £71 a week instead of working and earning 3 or 4 times that.
    Lower taxes would stimulate the economy and produce jobs

Also people could be more enterprising and opening up businesses

I'd reckon at least 10,000 of those would refuse a minimum wage job in favour of claiming many benefits- why work if benefits pay the same or more (after taxes and NI)
    i.e these people
    Plus unemployment seems to be a perennial government- no country has ever has truly 0% unemployment

ReputationRep:
    Why are you constantly linking to the Daily Mail? Their news stories aren't 100% true and they will publish these stories to make people think we're all scroungers. Meanwhile, there are people out there who have been denied benefits and have nothing to live on.
    That's my point the system needs changing!

It needs reform - stop handing out so much money to the scroungers!

TBH all the media is somewhat biased-depending on the journalist who wrote the article

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    So what's your suggestion? Tax the rich at say 70% and see an exodus of the highest earners like France is!

you don't want to spook the golden goose- we are seeing a lot of wealthy people fleeing the high taxes in France

Too Big government is bad see North Korea, USSR, Nazi Germany- a government that was so big it served itself rather than its people
    that's a laughable analysis of Nazi Germany

ReputationRep:
    Why are you constantly linking to the Daily Mail? Their news stories aren't 100% true and they will publish these stories to make people think we're all scroungers.
    Their stories aren't 10% true mate! But you're absolutely right.

Seriously, this forum. If you're reading the daily mail, no bloody wonder you think welfare fraud is endemic.

ReputationRep:
    People shouldn't be 'abusing' you, if anything it weakens their argument.

I just think you're ignoring socioeconomic causality. I see it so often in right wing ideology.

The opinion is there, but based on circular arguments.

Don't get me f**king started on Margaret Thatcher.

I'm not ignoring socio-economic reality-you are!

There is a growing class of people soon-to-be called the 'Not-working class' where families of able-bodied people don't work because they are better of on benefits
    Maggie saved Britain-she was harsh but she put the unions in their place!

left-wing ideology is no good when you see what pre-1980 Britain was like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kibalchich)
    It's true the government was TOO big!

If you deny that fact then your the one making laughable comments

Secret police is by no means cheap!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kibalchich)
    Exactly. Nazi Germany - 'big government'. Sure.

Adolf was all about power sharing.

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    That's my point the system needs changing!

It needs reform - stop handing out so much money to the scroungers!

TBH all the media is somewhat biased-depending on the journalist who wrote the article
    Read my post again. I never said the system needs reforming because of the so-called scroungers claiming so much money. Here's a few links for you:

http://fullfact.org/factchecks/how_m..._benefit-28589

http://fullfact.org/million_scrounge...ts_decade-2760

http://fullfact.org/factchecks/disab..._BMW_Mail-2783

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    I'm not ignoring socio-economic reality-you are!

There is a growing class of people soon-to-be called the 'Not-working class' where families of able-bodied people don't work because they are better of on benefits
    Maggie saved Britain-she was harsh but she put the unions in their place!

left-wing ideology is no good when you see what pre-1980 Britain was like
    So it's ok to put unions, working people, 'in their place', when the economy relies on their work.

But we can't ask that the private sector pay their taxes!!?

What planet are you on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    It's true the government was TOO big!

If you deny that fact then your the one making laughable comments

Secret police is by no means cheap!
    Watch this series

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPYoEGrFEkA

(Nazis: A warning from history)

its excellent, hopefully it will educate you a little

ReputationRep:
    Read my post again. I never said the system needs reforming because of the so-called scroungers claiming so much money. Here's a few links for you:

http://fullfact.org/factchecks/how_m..._benefit-28589

http://fullfact.org/million_scrounge...ts_decade-2760

http://fullfact.org/factchecks/disab..._BMW_Mail-2783
    They should speak about people getting more than 26k in housing benefit- more than the average salary after taxes!

The really high claims shouldn't happen!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.