Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

We SHOULD cut welfare spending! Watch

• View Poll Results: Should we cut welfare spending?
    Yes
    56.30%
    Leave it as it is
    21.98%
    No-increase welfare spending
    21.72%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    Especially today lool!
    Shes currently occupying my last thread about the left not caring about the working class telling the world how she loves chocolate. I wonder what is next.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dj1015)
    Shes currently occupying my last thread about the left not caring about the working class telling the world how she loves chocolate. I wonder what is next.
    I was in shock when she said Osborne was more morally wrong to park in a disabled parking space than Ed Balls who was using his phone and could have potentially killed someone

Just because of her political affiliation!

ReputationRep:
    Non workers who are claiming benifits from the welfare state should be made to do some form of voluntary work in exchange for their money.

However only 3% of the welfare state is spent on people who don't work. Over 47% is spent on pensions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    I was in shock when she said Osborne was more morally wrong to park in a disabled parking space than Ed Balls who was using his phone and could have potentially killed someone

Just because of her political affiliation!
    Some people will never learn. Sadly, she has the born to rule attitude and will be straight off to a Labour research office upon graduation. Its the career and would be career politicians that are ruining this country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxchloexo)
    Non workers who are claiming benifits from the welfare state should be made to do some form of voluntary work in exchange for their money.

However only 3% of the welfare state is spent on people who don't work. Over 47% is spent on pensions.
    3% too much.

ReputationRep:
    3% too much.
    I agree but there needs to be the jobs for people to do. There are a small minority of benifit claimers that do not want to find a job, but alot of them do.

ReputationRep:
    I agree but there needs to be the jobs for people to do. There are a small minority of benifit claimers that do not want to find a job, but alot of them do.
    Instead of giving people tax free lump sums every week, how about "non working credit". The same, but it is repayable upon obtaining employment.

ReputationRep:
    Some people will never learn. Sadly, she has the born to rule attitude and will be straight off to a Labour research office upon graduation. Its the career and would be career politicians that are ruining this country.
    Who knows maybe she could be the new Polly Tonybee!

We need people with real life experience in politics

ReputationRep:
    Instead of giving people tax free lump sums every week, how about "non working credit". The same, but it is repayable upon obtaining employment.
    That sounds good, but it would again reward the people who don't want to get a job as they would never have to pay anything back.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe cutting unemployment benefit spending and using the money to create jobs via tax cuts and investment or even somewhat bribing businesses to employ more people

Or introducing a mini redundancy tax ?!

ReputationRep:
    That sounds good, but it would again reward the people who don't want to get a job as they would never have to pay anything back.
    Or make the benefit decrease slowly the longer someone remains on it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    Or make the benefit decrease slowly the longer someone remains on it?
    Yeah, i also think that the majority of the benifit should be given as vouchers to spend on essentials such as food and clothing, this used to be the case years back and it stops people (the minority granted) spending all their benefits on alcohol etc and then going to food banks when they don't have the money to eat.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i also think that the majority of the benifit should be given as vouchers to spend on essentials such as food and clothing, this used to be the case years back and it stops people (the minority granted) spending all their benefits on alcohol etc and then going to food banks when they don't have the money to eat.
    Especially for claimants with children - think of the Philpott story where the kids went hungry

Foodstamps would make benefits even less attractive and would help reduce the welfare bill

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    Especially for claimants with children - think of the Philpott story where the kids went hungry

Foodstamps would make benefits even less attractive and would help reduce the welfare bill
    Yeah i think so! Would encourage people to work if they didn't get money to spend on what they like!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    How would contribution based benefits such as pensions be funded, then?
    I think he is a bit extreme!

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i think so! Would encourage people to work if they didn't get money to spend on what they like!
    I don't know why it hasn't been implemented yet?!

Plus maybe the government could even save money I e paying say £30 for £50 of vouchers which can be spent in all major supermarkets and any other willing participants like Lidl and Aldi which would be foolish not to accept them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeester)
    ??

Why the expletives?

ReputationRep:
    Thats a fair point. TBH, I would have no moral issue in allowing people to exist in destitution if they are work shy.

So maybe some of sliding scale, designed to encourage people into work. Possibly linked in with spending in the right areas designed to generate private sector growth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    I don't know why it hasn't been implemented yet?!

Plus maybe the government could even save money I e paying say £30 for £50 of vouchers which can be spent in all major supermarkets and any other willing participants like Lidl and Aldi which would be foolish not to accept them!

I know right, would make so much more sense!

I also think that the winter fuel allowance that elderly people get shouldn't be paid as cash directy to them i believe it would be better if the government just paid their winter bill as some people use far less than the money they recevie, i know my great nan (sort of) sits in the freezing cold and uses the money for other things? it would encourage people to actually use it for it's purpose.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.