Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

We SHOULD cut welfare spending! Watch

• View Poll Results: Should we cut welfare spending?
    Yes
    56.30%
    Leave it as it is
    21.98%
    No-increase welfare spending
    21.72%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by euphful)
    I work on a mental health ward; please enlighten me as to what 'mentally retarded' means?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Enlighten yourself mate!

I meant someone who does not have the mental capacity to work in a normal productive capacity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kibalchich)
    They? Who are "they"?
    I used to know so many people who went to my sixth form college who were in that bracket, and they had BlackBerry phones, they wore brands such as Hollister, and the list goes on. I know of a person on benefits, who went to my secondary, who has a massive TV, and was generally spoilt rotten. Obviously I cannot list everyone who is like this, but there is a big group in our society who use what should be subsistence money for superfluous luxuries. My parents don't pay tax for some chav to get a BlackBerry. I'm sorry, but that's the truth. The state should not be subsidising their living beyond their means and their station.

ReputationRep:
    Right, so the recession is down to immigration. That's a new one.
    If you bothered to read my comment, I'm stating that immigration is aiding recovery.

The number of people stuck in the poverty trap has surged because the ratio of benefits and pay (working) is far too similar, creating a disincentive for people to work. Most of these people are too lazy to search for a job. Hence why benefit fraud is a hot debate.

The money spent on welfare benefits needs to be urgently reduced, and more spent on public projects, ESPECIALLY education, in order to kickstart the economy. "A better tomorrow" is an all-too common statement nowadays. It needs to be an action. That is the way forward.

David Cameron and his cronies should be culled. Metaphor aside, they should INCREASE spending, instead of saving and reducing the budget deficit. Mr Cameron, we are in a triple-dip recession. A deficit is the best thing for us!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faberry)
    The jobs which immigrants are currently filling. Hence why there's no cap on immigration to the UK - we need as full-employment as possible in order to expand!

Despite what the Daily Mail leads us to believe, they really are the bedrock for the economy.
    You think the woman with 6 kids, given a free house, who lives near one of my relatives is the bedrock of our economy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    Enlighten yourself mate!

I meant someone who does not have the mental capacity to work in a normal productive capacity.
    Oh... So by the standards of your debate then... You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Callahan)
    They can get a landline? And they can make do with an old TV? Christ, many working people can scarcely afford new mobile phones and TVs so those who don't work should definitely not be able to.
    I pay about £40 a month for my landline. Would be cheaper to get a blackberry!

If anyone with a job can't afford a TV I'd say they haven't been spending their income wisely.

ReputationRep:
    Do I support immigration? I support the right of free movement of people, yes. Do I think its without its problems in a capitalist system? No. Do I think that it is used by capital to undermine wages and conditions and keep profits up? Yes. Do I think that stopping immigration is the answer? No. Do I think that organising with workers of all nationalities for better wages and conditions is a good response to this? Yes. Do I fall for divide and rule? No.

That do ya?
    So you don't then understand that what you've said is hugely hypocritical?

So Labour caused the global financial crisis did it? I always think it's interesting to point out that just before the financial crisis started, our debt as a proportion of GDP was actually lower than what Major left us in 1997... Who's incompetent now?

And now, as I've said, this is a nation founded on immigration. Suck it up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But it wasn't founded on uncontrolled mass immigration. What's wrong with the post-war immigration figures we had of around 30,000 a year? Mass immigration brings no benefits whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izzyeviel)
    How dare people spend £30 a month on a phone or £100 on a 40 inch TV. The outrage!!!!!
    You idiot

Who are you? Harriet Harman's daughter? I really hate people like you....

Let me guess- you'd throw a paddy if we didn't let prisoners have Sky Sports?

If I give you my paypal details will you send me £100?

If it's ok for a benefit claimant to spend my money on a TV, will you let me spend some of your money?

ReputationRep:
    If anyone with a job can't afford a TV I'd say they haven't been spending their income wisely.
    Doesn't matter when they EARNT their income.

So are you going to send me £100 to my paypal then?

ReputationRep:

My thoughts exactly... I'm hardly in a well paid job but I live fairly comfortably...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Then find a cheaper landline, because it sure as hell doesn't cost £40.

Really? You don't realise how much all the bills would cost for someone working minimum wage? And then food?

Benefits shouldn't entitle people to luxuries.

ReputationRep:
    Oh... So by the standards of your debate then... You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think that reply pretty sums up how much strength your argument has..... not a lot...

ReputationRep:
    You think the woman with 6 kids, given a free house, who lives near one of my relatives is the bedrock of our economy?
    Unfortunately so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Callahan)
    So you don't then understand that what you've said is hugely hypocritical?

But it wasn't founded on uncontrolled mass immigration. What's wrong with the post-war immigration figures we had of around 30,000 a year? Mass immigration brings no benefits whatsoever.
    You know EU freedoms mean you can always learn German and move their to enjoy and share in some of their prosperity; if we weren't a nation unable to speak foreign languages I'm sure more people would want to take advantage of that idea! if European people want to work here and settle and live meaningful lives then so be it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think that reply pretty sums up how much strength your argument has..... not a lot...
    Erm I'm not the one throwing about archaic terms such as 'mentally retarded' and expecting people to take me seriously...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    You have no clue about disability, do you? Tell me, would you seriously employ someone who is partially sighted, hypersensitive to noise, can't always make themselves under through speech, doesn't always understand people when they speak, has a tendency to soil themselves, has depression, has relationship issues which would affect work and suffers fatigue? That's the situation I'm in. You're completely clueless about disability.
    How did the people who have these problems manage over the last 500 years? People did have these problems over the last 500 years? Or did these "disabilities" magically appear in the last 15, since Labour came to power?

ReputationRep:
    How did the people who have these problems manage over the last 500 years? People did have these problems over the last 500 years? Or did these "disabilities" magically appear in the last 15, since Labour came to power?
    Oh. My. Goodness.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You know EU freedoms mean you can always learn German and move their to enjoy and share in some of their prosperity; if we weren't a nation unable to speak foreign languages I'm sure more people would want to take advantage of that idea! if European people want to work here and settle and live meaningful lives then so be it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is that really the only argument you have for mass immigration? Good grief.

ReputationRep:
    Erm I'm not the one throwing about archaic terms such as 'mentally retarded' and expecting people to take me seriously...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    These people don't seem to find it "archaic"....

http://children.webmd.com/intellectu...al-retardation

Intellectual disability (ID), once called mental retardation, is characterized by below-average intelligence or mental ability and a lack of skills necessary for day-to-day living. People with intellectual disabilities can and do learn new skills, but they learn them more slowly. There are varying degrees of intellectual disability, from mild to profound.
    Seriously mate- I'll give you some advice..... I can usually rip most people's arguments to shreds..... I'll carry on doing it if you keep talking crap

ReputationRep:
    So much for TSR being left wing, there are a number right-wing who air extreme views. This thread being a perfect example

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.