Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Straight forward question, I meet all the requirements for Computer Science @ Lancaster besides one. My GCSE English is grade D but I have a level 2 in English. Could this effect my chances of being accepted into Lnac

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I don't think Lancaster looks at GCSEs... when I applied it said nothing about them in the requirements. They ask (as most British Higher Education Institutions do) that - if you're a foreign student - you have some form of proof that your English is to a high enough standard to be able to cope at a British university. But that has nothing to do with GCSEs.

But I'm just a student here. I'm not involved with the admissions so can't give you a definitive answer. Your best bet would be to email the admissions people, or your respective department, and ask them.

ReputationRep:
    Well by now you should have applied and got a response?
    Anyway; you should contact the admissions office at Lancaster and ask them; as far as I know if you don't meet the minimum GCSE requirements it's pretty much an automatic reject; they are called 'minimum requirements' for a reason.

However if they are low on applications this year they might just let it go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IntenseSoldier)
    Well by now you should have applied and got a response?
    Anyway; you should contact the admissions office at Lancaster and ask them; as far as I know if you don't meet the minimum GCSE requirements it's pretty much an automatic reject; they are called 'minimum requirements' for a reason.

However if they are low on applications this year they might just let it go
    I will be applying through adjustment.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    You need to email them and ask if they would consider your level 2 qualification, this will depend on the course. Only the admissions tutor can give you a definitive answer since they're the ones makings the offers.

This is what Lancaster says as standard:

I'm a mature student and I don't have GCSE Maths and English - but I'm taking Adult Numeracy and Literacy Level 2 Key Skills qualifications - will you accept these instead?

For most of our degree courses a pass in KS2 Adult Numeracy and Literacy will be sufficient however where a course requires a specific grade e.g. B in GCSE Maths, then you may need to take the GCSE as Key Skills and other Level 2 qualifications may not be graded.

Bottom line is they probably will accept your level 2 qualification but that's not to say they'll make you an offer. You're going through adjustment so they might have already filled all their places, and there may be other reasons etc... If they want you then I would assume the D grade won't matter much, especially for computer science. Good luck to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sulphur)
    You need to email them and ask if they would consider your level 2 qualification, this will depend on the course. Only the admissions tutor can give you a definitive answer since they're the ones makings the offers.

This is what Lancaster says as standard:

I'm a mature student and I don't have GCSE Maths and English - but I'm taking Adult Numeracy and Literacy Level 2 Key Skills qualifications - will you accept these instead?

For most of our degree courses a pass in KS2 Adult Numeracy and Literacy will be sufficient however where a course requires a specific grade e.g. B in GCSE Maths, then you may need to take the GCSE as Key Skills and other Level 2 qualifications may not be graded.

Bottom line is they probably will accept your level 2 qualification but that's not to say they'll make you an offer. You're going through adjustment so they might have already filled all their places, and there may be other reasons etc... If they want you then I would assume the D grade won't matter much, especially for computer science. Good luck to you.
    "I'm afraid a level 2 in English would not be acceptable, we would need grade C in English GCSE. I hope this is helpful."

Just checked through my emails and the admissions team have replied back. God, It is going to be a struggle enrolling on to GCSE English as a private candidate now. Especially because the deadline is tomorrow, and for English a lot of schools don't accept private candidates due to e.g. coursework markings ect.

I'm ****ed

ReputationRep:
    Enroll for the IGCSE; there's no coursework as far as I known.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sulphur)
    Enroll for the IGCSE; there's no coursework as far as I known.
    I got onto GCSE Languages as a private candidate earlier today : )

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.