Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

What annual wage do you want at the peak of your career and from what job? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have to be honest, I can't set a limit but I'd love to earn loads of money annually but I'd be happy with £35,000 per year minimum, job = Pharmacist

yourself?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Konvict Muzic.)
    I have to be honest, I can't set a limit but I'd love to earn loads of money annually but I'd be happy with £35,000 per year minimum, job = Pharmacist

yourself?
    I don't really care as long as I have enough to reasonably live on. I can't say I have a huge love/lust for money.

My job, on the other hand, would have to be something I enjoyed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazzini)
    I don't really care as long as I have enough to reasonably live on. I can't say I have a huge love/lust for money.

My job, on the other hand, would have to be something I enjoyed.

What are you inspiring to be?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Konvict Muzic.)
    What are you inspiring to be?
    I assume you mean "aspiring" rather than "inspiring"

But I have no idea, I have to do my UCAS application soon but I have no idea what to do for that either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazzini)
    I assume you mean "aspiring" rather than "inspiring"

But I have no idea, I have to do my UCAS application soon but I have no idea what to do for that either.

Doctor, lawyer?? something different??

ReputationRep:
    This thread has been done to death. I can pretty much sum it up in this post.

(Original post by RandomGuy)
    I think I'd be happy with £70k per annum. It's the least I'm expecting tbh.
    (Original post by Tosser1)
    I'm pretty certain most investment bankers earn at least £100k so I'm hoping for £150k within 5 years of graduating
    (Original post by Freelovehippy)
    (Original post by RandomGuy)
    I think I'd be happy with £70k per annum. It's the least I'm expecting tbh.
    (Original post by Tosser1)
    I'm pretty certain most investment bankers earn at least £100k so I'm hoping for £150k within 5 years of graduating
    You guys are being totally unrealistic. Besides, all you need is enough money to get by. I'm training to be a doctor and I'd be happy with £25k *lie*
    (Original post by Tosser2)
    I'm training in floral graphic design at the University of Crapsville, and I would like at least £200k at my peak
    (Original post by Tosser3RevengeoftheTosser)
    (Original post by Tosser2)
    I'm training in floral graphic design at the University of Crapsville, and I would like at least £200k at my peak
    Really? I'm doing a degree in culinary arts and even I'm not expecting to make that much. Somewhere in the £175k region would be more realistic
    (Original post by Hippysnake)
    You're all knobs.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    What do I want? Two million a year.

What is possible? 60-100k.

What is realistic? 35-45k.

Job: Hopefully a barrister; but might join the EU bureaucracy instead.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I used to aspire to be on at least £30/£35k (as a scientist, a huge salary isn't too likely), but in the last year my confidence has plummeted and my aspirations have almost disappeared. Now I just want a job in any area that has some progression available and I will hopefully be on £25k eventually. Maybe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippysnake)
    This thread has been done to death. I can pretty much sum it up in this post.
    Haha! Agreed.

To respond to the question (again) I'd hope for c.£80k inflation corrected... In reality I'm probably looking at £55-65k even if I excel (not a given).

I'm training to be a solicitor in the regions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    jesus. 55-65K as a worst case scenario. woh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SnoochToTheBooch)
    jesus. 55-65K as a worst case scenario. woh.
    Worst case scenario is failing to get retained, not getting in elsewhere and then spending my career paralegalling for never more than £24k.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't care as long as I've got enough for food, bills, and a bit left over for things I can enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    I think I want to be on about 35/40k when Im 30

On the down side, I have no idea what I want to do
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    50kish

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would be expecting nothing -> hoping for around 40k Computer science/research... Enough to provide for self/fam/cookies.

ReputationRep:
    Are all these figures what you hope to make before tax? I never realised until recently just how much tax takes off:

If you earn £35k you actually pocket £26k
    £30k , you pocket £23k ,
    you can use this calculator: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tax-calculator/

ReputationRep:
    I wan't to pursue a career in project management or something related to adminstration. I would like to start off with £20,000 then work towards a bigger salary at the peak of my career something between £50,000 - £100,000 with atleast 5+ year experience and preferably with the same company.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be happy with about £35000 but I'm aiming for around £100,000+. May as well be ambitious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llessur123)
    I'd be happy with about £35000 but I'm aiming for around £100,000+. May as well be ambitious.
    Which profession are you looking into?

ReputationRep:
    i don't think money should be the main motivation to do something with your life but back on topic at hand i think something to live on an support yourself would be good, around 35 000 a year. i want to study architecture so if i stick with it for the full 7 years the money shouldn't be an issue hopefully. but if money wasn't a motivation i would say i would like to become a painter. check out this video i saw recently. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L_cGjQSR80

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.