Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Boyfriend seems to take me for granted. Watch

Ive been with someone for nearly a year, we are both 22. In the beginning he was really chasing me, complimenting me and saying he really liked/loved me and trying to impress me and stuff. The first couple of months were the same.These days though, and especially more recently, sometimes I worry he does not appreciate me, or he is not as in love. He rarely compliments me, and it hurts.
    He will rarely say stuff like I look pretty, he loves being with me, I make him happy, etc. Sometimes I just feel like I am talking to a friend, and while I know friendship is obviously important, I just wish that romantic element was more there.
    The only time he seems to say those things is when he sees I am upset, or when we are making love. He will usually just make fun of me. For example, I study an art class and I wish he would say I was talented but he just jokes how bad it is usually. Even if it is just a joke, it would not hurt to have a sincere compliment occasionally. I always try to do nice things for him like writing love letters/poems/surprising him but he does nothing like that for me.
    I always tell him the reasons why I love him and that I would never want to leave him/be with anyone else, but he just seems to smile, and does not really say that stuff back. It makes me feel like I am going over the top.
    It is just because he used to act like he really loved me and loved being with me, and now he never seems excited or says a lot of sweet stuff, even though I do that for him pretty much every day, and it hurts.
    I want to tell him, but I am scared he will just think I am criticising him too much. If this was him in general, I would not mind, it is just that he has changed. He used to act like he felt so lucky to be with me, and now I do not get that impression at all.

Thats guys for you. Theyre super lovely & infatuated for the first couple months & then its like they stop trying & it becomes a little weird

ReputationRep:
    He might not be a romantic and possibly a bit insensitive.

You really should speak to him properly, sit him down and have a one to one private with no disturbance. Not come on here.

(Original post by Willbean)
    He might not be a romantic and possibly a bit insensitive.

You really should speak to him properly, sit him down and have a one to one private with no disturbance. Not come on here.
    Yeah possibly, but it's just because he seemed to be really romantic at first like I said and sweet, so I just feel like he changed..
    I have no idea how to confront him :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yeah possibly, but it's just because he seemed to be really romantic at first like I said and sweet, so I just feel like he changed..
    I have no idea how to confront him :s
    He was romantic then because he wanted to woo and impress you as such as you would when on your first couple of dates, now your a couple, he has become relaxed about being a romantic.

If you let him continue, he will think the relationship is fine and that he is doing nothing wrong.

(Original post by Willbean)
    He was romantic then because he wanted to woo and impress you as such as you would when on your first couple of dates, now your a couple, he has become relaxed about being a romantic.

If you let him continue, he will think the relationship is fine and that he is doing nothing wrong.
    Yeah maybe that's why... I'll try to talk to him... thanks

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the others, he probably doesn't know anything's wrong, so tell him.

It's natural to start taking someone for granted if you're already with them, and they tell them you they'll never leave you. He doesnt have to impress you anymore. Doesn't mean he doesn't care.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 16, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.