Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Variation of parameters (solving inhomo. linear ODEs) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, there is something I don't quite understand in the method of variation of parameters to solve inhomogeneous linear ODEs. I will just refer to the Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variation_of_parameters

What I don't understand is: if y1(x),...yn(x) form a fundamental system for the associated linear ODE, why does that imply the general solution of the original nonhomo. linear ODE is

c1(x)y1(x)+...+cn(x)yn(x)

where c1(x),...,cn(x) are continuous functions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kelvinator)
    What I don't understand is: if y1(x),...yn(x) form a fundamental system for the associated linear ODE, why does that imply the general solution of the original nonhomo. linear ODE is

c1(x)y1(x)+...+cn(x)yn(x)

where c1(x),...,cn(x) are continuous functions?
    Don't forget that those continuous functions must satisfy several conditions, they are not arbitrary functions. Once they do, it just comes down to a bit of differentiation. Also, that sum is not the general solution, but a particular solution.

The general solution is achieved by adding the particular solution to \sum y_i

In comes a load of LaTeX! Bear in mind that c_1,c_2\cdots c_n must satisfy \displaystyle\sum_{i=1}^n c_i'(x)y_i^{(j)}(x)=0\quad(\star  )

Additionally, set c_0(x)=y_0(x)=0 and a_n(x)=1 to keep things concise.

The claim is that y_p(x)=\displaystyle\sum_{i=0}^n c_i(x)y_i(x) is a particular solution to the ODE. All you need to do to check this is differentiate:

y_p^{(1)}(x)=\displaystyle \underbrace{\sum_{i=0}^n c_i'(x)y_i(x)}_{=\;0\; \Leftarrow\, (\star)}+\sum_{i=0}^n c_i(x)y_i^{(1)}(x)

\cdots

y_p^{(n-1)}(x)=\displaystyle \underbrace{\sum_{i=0}^n c_i'(x)y_i^{(n-2)}(x)}_{=\;0\; \Leftarrow\, (\star)}+\sum_{i=0}^n c_i(x)y_i^{(n-1)}(x)
    y_p^{(n)}(x)=\displaystyle \sum_{i=0}^n c_i'(x)y_i^{(n-1)}(x)+\sum_{i=0}^n c_i(x)y_i^{(n)}(x)

Plug this into the initial equation and we get:

\displaystyle\sum_{i=0}^n c_i'(x)y_i^{(n-1)}(x)+\sum_{i=0}^{n}a_i(x)\sum_  {k=0}^i c_k(x) y_k^{(i)}(x)=b(x)\quad (\star\star)

The important thing to notice here, is that since y_0,y_1\cdots y_n satisfy the corresponding homogenous equation, we have for any 0\leq k\leq n:

\displaystyle\sum_{i=0}^{n}a_i(x  )y_k^{(i)}(x)=0

In other words, the latter sum in (\star\star) is  0 (since the c_k(x) are continuous, they can have no effect on this)

Hence we are left with \displaystyle\sum_{i=0}^n c_i'(x)y_i^{(n-1)}=b(x)\quad (\clubsuit)

Then we go on to solve for c_i'. Once this is done, (\clubsuit) is satisfied and hence the original equation is satisfied, so y_p is indeed a particular solution to the ODE.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the explanation. I was confused because I had it in my mind that your y_p is the general solution but turns out I misunderstood my lecturer when he said "we will find the solution of the form...". But now it all makes sense.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.