Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

So I'm in my first year at uni and I have barley any close friends at uni and it's starting to become lonely.

Before anyone says "join a society", I have looked into societies, and none interest me enough to join (I won't go, if I don't like what's going on) because we have barely any at my uni

I find it hard to just 'make friends'. I've made a close friend with one of my flat mates, but she can be flimsy sometimes and we always seem to do what she wants. She's made a number of friends, and usually does stuff with them, I don't get invited because it seems like it's just members of her course that do.

It's difficult making friends with people on my course because they are all locals and knew each other before uni. where as I'm from miles and miles away.

It's getting depressing, especially as I'll make plans with my flat mate and then she'll drop them for her ex/other friends sometimes.

I used to date this local guy (for about a month) so I had the option of hanging out with him, but that ended so now I have no one.

I'd love to meet some non-university friends, but I think it would look sad if I went to gigs/pubs on my own. What can I do? :/

Do you have somewhere to live in second year? I would wheat until then because then you'll have another chance to try out societies (I know you've already written them off, but I'd reconsider)

apart from that, do you get to talk to people on your course often? I don't think where you're from should matter tbh. As you get closer to exams it could be easier to talk to your coursepals, about work at first, but you know how conversations go. You might even be able to set up some kind of group revision sessions together, which could be amaizeing for making friends (suffering brings people together, even if it's just the pain of revision)

(Original post by + polarity -)
    Do you have somewhere to live in second year? I would wheat until then because then you'll have another chance to try out societies (I know you've already written them off, but I'd reconsider)

apart from that, do you get to talk to people on your course often? I don't think where you're from should matter tbh. As you get closer to exams it could be easier to talk to your coursepals, about work at first, but you know how conversations go. You might even be able to set up some kind of group revision sessions together, which could be amaizeing for making friends (suffering brings people together, even if it's just the pain of revision)
    I +1 you for all the barley jokes. I didn't notice my typo until after I posted it... hoped no-one would notice, but obviously not.

I have somewhere to live for secon year, with my flat mate from this year and possibly three other people.

I know it shouldn't matter, but they're impossibly cliquey, and although I'm friendly with them in class, I don't do anything with them out of class.

From what I've spoken about with them before, we have nothing in common other than we do the same subject, which is a little depressing.

The kind of people I get on with seem to be in 'alternative' or just normal pubs, but I don't have anyone to go with to them at the best of times. I'm stuck in an infinite loop. I guess I could try again with the people on my course, but it doesn't seem the basis for a friendship.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I +1 you for all the barley jokes. I didn't notice my typo until after I posted it... hoped no-one would notice, but obviously not.

I have somewhere to live for secon year, with my flat mate from this year and possibly three other people.

I know it shouldn't matter, but they're impossibly cliquey, and although I'm friendly with them in class, I don't do anything with them out of class.

From what I've spoken about with them before, we have nothing in common other than we do the same subject, which is a little depressing.

The kind of people I get on with seem to be in 'alternative' or just normal pubs, but I don't have anyone to go with to them at the best of times. I'm stuck in an infinite loop. I guess I could try again with the people on my course, but it doesn't seem the basis for a friendship.
    Sorry, I was eating some glorious chicken

Have you met these 3 other possible people yet? There's an opportunity for friendship :hubba:

Do you have much groupwork on your course?

Hmm, if you've already found somewhere that might have the sort of people you're looking for, you could always go out alone (which actually sounds ****ing scary, but I think it could pay off)? Maybe a little bit dangerous, so if things go a little awrye on your first attempt you might be able to persaude your current flatmate to go with you?

(Original post by + polarity -)
    Sorry, I was eating some glorious chicken

Have you met these 3 other possible people yet? There's an opportunity for friendship :hubba:

Do you have much groupwork on your course?

Hmm, if you've already found somewhere that might have the sort of people you're looking for, you could always go out alone (which actually sounds ****ing scary, but I think it could pay off)? Maybe a little bit dangerous, so if things go a little awrye on your first attempt you might be able to persaude your current flatmate to go with you?
    :clap2:

Not yet, as far as I'm aware it is just us two at the moment, no-one else has put a deposit on the other three rooms, although I'm hoping someone moves in that I'll be able to get on with.

Not particularly, my course is nearly over now, for this year, with the exception of two exams.

I have thought of this, I've been to a local pub before for a pint on my own but it wasn't particularly busy. I'm too afraid to go on my own on a weekend because it'll be heaving and I'll look like a sad loner. I'll try to get my friend to come out more, yet she never wants to because "I can't drink/ do this/ do that, because I have no money." She never sees it as a social thing, but maybe I'll see if she wants to go out sometime next week. Thanks for the comical advice.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    :clap2:

Not yet, as far as I'm aware it is just us two at the moment, no-one else has put a deposit on the other three rooms, although I'm hoping someone moves in that I'll be able to get on with.

Not particularly, my course is nearly over now, for this year, with the exception of two exams.

I have thought of this, I've been to a local pub before for a pint on my own but it wasn't particularly busy. I'm too afraid to go on my own on a weekend because it'll be heaving and I'll look like a sad loner. I'll try to get my friend to come out more, yet she never wants to because "I can't drink/ do this/ do that, because I have no money." She never sees it as a social thing, but maybe I'll see if she wants to go out sometime next week. Thanks for the comical advice.
    You only have 2 people in a 5-bed house, how is that possible? :eek3: (and 2 exams, wow!!)

Do you know how the other places (might) get filled? Because advertising the vacancies and meeting people who show interest could be a good way to see if you could get on with them, it happened to me in first year when I was looking for somewhere to live (bad times).

I wouldn't go on a weekend tbh, that's when all the locals are out :p:. It's a fairly difficult situation when you don't have anything (anything??) in common with the people you know, and not even someone to go out with, but I don't believe that you'd look like a loner - as long as you don't sit in a dark corner I guess - TSR tells me that this happens quite often.

I'm probably the worst person to be taking advice from now that I think about it

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.