Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Would it be possible to do an apprenticeship after college and then go to university? Is there any preferred age to go to uni and are there really many apprenticeship options?

I am studying;

English Lit
    Ancient History
    Computing
    Music Tech

I've tried to keep my options open as I have no idea at all what I want to do. I'd like to get some experience and a little wage with an apprenticeship then do uni but only if it sounds like a good idea, I know apprenticeship are hard to get and I'm not sure what I could possibly do?

Thanks for any advice

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    It is possible! I started my apprenticeship as an electrotechnical installation engineer at 18, I finished at 21. I'm now 23 and heading off to uni this year, to study something completely different! A trade will be with you for life and does give you a fall back if anything goes wrong! Just remember, your never too old to head to uni. University's like mature students and those who have worked previously as proof they can commit to work and have good time keeping and time management skills!
    Times are tough, and to keep employment after an apprenticeship is difficult. My firm (who are huge in Britain) have let newly qualified electricians and mechanical fitters go, and kept a few on 6 month rolling contracts. So bare that in mind, hopefully times are better when you qualify.

Any questions, just ask!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dannyhemms)
    It is possible! I started my apprenticeship as an electrotechnical installation engineer at 18, I finished at 21. I'm now 23 and heading off to uni this year, to study something completely different! A trade will be with you for life and does give you a fall back if anything goes wrong! Just remember, your never too old to head to uni. University's like mature students and those who have worked previously as proof they can commit to work and have good time keeping and time management skills!
    Times are tough, and to keep employment after an apprenticeship is difficult. My firm (who are huge in Britain) have let newly qualified electricians and mechanical fitters go, and kept a few on 6 month rolling contracts. So bare that in mind, hopefully times are better when you qualify.

Any questions, just ask!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the reply thats give me hope haha. I'm hoping to get an apprenticeship job after college then go to uni like you did

ReputationRep:

Any questions, just ask!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree! The trade is actually good to have; an extremely good safety net. It also proves that you can commit to something, too. I went to College, did an Apprenticeship afterwards in Business as an assistant to the Manager, and I'm now heading to University in October. Although, I'm only 20 at the moment. Not fully mature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy511)
    Thanks for the reply thats give me hope haha. I'm hoping to get an apprenticeship job after college then go to uni like you did
    Also, after earning over £7000 for 3 solid years before uni, means all your student finance is matched only against you allowing you maximum loans etc. I am glad now that i did that, but after qualifying and before getting into uni was stressful. I no longer enjoy my job like I used to, so look forward to a change of scenery.

What apprenticeship you looking at!? Make sure it's something that you will enjoy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also, after earning over £7000 for 3 solid years before uni, means all your student finance is matched only against you allowing you maximum loans etc. I am glad now that i did that, but after qualifying and before getting into uni was stressful. I no longer enjoy my job like I used to, so look forward to a change of scenery.

What apprenticeship you looking at!? Make sure it's something that you will enjoy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well haha, thats a whole other ball game. I struggled to pick my A-levels and would definitely struggle to pick an apprenticeship, then its getting it as well!

I really don't know what I want do as a career. My subjects are meant to be good towards law and English but I know its pretty much impossible to do that. I'm not blessed with any science/engineering brains. Only got a C in maths and 2 B's in science so any decent job is out of the question.

I just hope to in theory be able to do an apprenticeship then uni like you said, if you have any ideas for me that would be great haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy511)
    Well haha, thats a whole other ball game. I struggled to pick my A-levels and would definitely struggle to pick an apprenticeship, then its getting it as well!

I really don't know what I want do as a career. My subjects are meant to be good towards law and English but I know its pretty much impossible to do that. I'm not blessed with any science/engineering brains. Only got a C in maths and 2 B's in science so any decent job is out of the question.

I just hope to in theory be able to do an apprenticeship then uni like you said, if you have any ideas for me that would be great haha
    Those GCSE results are on par with any apprenticeship scheme. And any A-level grade is respectable. I had c's, d's and e grades at A-level.
    Not being blessed with any natural engineering ideology isn't a dilemma, the whole point is your taught that through your apprenticeship!
    This website http://www.ecitb.org.uk/
    Maybe of some use to you. It's the scheme I started on and it's easy to apply.
    Just as a note, my NVQ and A-levels didn't get me into uni. Last year I did a Access to HE diploma which is widely accepted by almost every uni.
    As long as on route you have goals and targets, it will all flow nicely!
    If you want a specific area to go into its good to check out this
    http://www.apprenticeships.org.uk/Ty...ticeships.aspx
    Certain areas have more availability of apprenticeships than others, ie petrochemical catchment areas, off shore oil rigs blah blah blah.
    Searching enough will give you a general idea!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Those GCSE results are on par with any apprenticeship scheme. And any A-level grade is respectable. I had c's, d's and e grades at A-level.
    Not being blessed with any natural engineering ideology isn't a dilemma, the whole point is your taught that through your apprenticeship!
    This website http://www.ecitb.org.uk/
    Maybe of some use to you. It's the scheme I started on and it's easy to apply.
    Just as a note, my NVQ and A-levels didn't get me into uni. Last year I did a Access to HE diploma which is widely accepted by almost every uni.
    As long as on route you have goals and targets, it will all flow nicely!
    If you want a specific area to go into its good to check out this
    http://www.apprenticeships.org.uk/Ty...ticeships.aspx
    Certain areas have more availability of apprenticeships than others, ie petrochemical catchment areas, off shore oil rigs blah blah blah.
    Searching enough will give you a general idea!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Alright I'll have a look thanks!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi andy511,

I hope to give you a bit of insight into the career path I chose. I left school with my A-Levels and went into something called a school leaver programme, where my current employer pays for my University and I get to start my career at the same time. I'm working in the Business and IT industry, which would suit your A-Levels, especially with computing.

I chose it because I really wanted to start my career, University wasn't the be all and end all for me. I'm now going to graduate earning more than a typical graduate because I have 3 years work experience behind me!

Just because you don't choose the traditional University route it doesn't mean that you won't get a "good" job, and doesn't necessarily mean you will earn any less than traditional graduates. Have a little search for School Leaver Programmes - there are many more than you think out there!

If you have any other questions about what it's like to do a school leaver programme just shout, I'll be happy to help you out

Thanks,

Hannah

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.