Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I really am sorry if this question has come up so many times that is just makes you want to slap yourself and me very hard :eek:
    Basically, I was wondering if these subjects (Biological Sciences and Biochemistry) are similar enough to realistically be able to apply for both at different institutions without jeopardising my chances of getting an offer... I am aware that my personal statement would have to cover both bases so could I just refer to the 'biosciences'?
    Thanks in advance, any advice is much appreciated.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Yes!

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends entirely on your ability to avoid being specific while making it seem you are genuinely interested. For instance, if you want to say you are interested in a specific field or module, it should be one that is relevant to both courses.

ReputationRep:
    At many institutions you might be able to switch courses after the first year anyway, that's what all the courses can do within biosciences at my uni. Maybe ask the unis? I think a uni would think it's fine if you don't know which one is for you.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks peeps for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    I think that in your PS you should indicate that you have a great general interest in biology (from molecular biology to ecology). Then when you go in to more specifics, talk about interests in areas of biochemistry that would also be covered by a general biology degree, such as molecular biology, metabolism, proteomics, etc.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.