Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone recommend some good exercises for someone who is obese and trying to lose weight

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely anything that helps your heart to beat that little bit faster.

Swimming, walking, jogging, dancing.. I like putting on my music and doing step ups on my bottom stair (running up and down it) for about 5 minutes and then resting and doing it a few times during the day.

But mostly, changing your diet will have the biggest effect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    I like putting on my music and doing step ups on my bottom stair (running up and down it) for about 5 minutes and then resting and doing it a few times during the day.
    I had to stop doing that cos it wore out the carpet lol! Do you wear trainers or not?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiina)
    I had to stop doing that cos it wore out the carpet lol! Do you wear trainers or not?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha my carpet is hanging on by a thread anyway so it makes no difference! I don't wear trainers when I'm using the stair, no. Maybe I should! It's never crossed my mind to (which is weird I guess, because in the summer when I use an outside step I always have shoes on).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    Haha my carpet is hanging on by a thread anyway so it makes no difference! I don't wear trainers when I'm using the stair, no. Maybe I should! It's never crossed my mind to (which is weird I guess, because in the summer when I use an outside step I always have shoes on).
    I always wore trainers and think that probably contributed to the carpet problems lol. They felt like they gave me more stability though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saaaammm)
    Can anyone recommend some good exercises for someone who is obese and trying to lose weight
    I know this sounds really gruelling but I go to judo about four times a week. It's a great way to lose weight, become more confident, learning how to defend yourself AND you get to gain very good stamina. But, you'd have to attend a club which is pretty hardcore.

It depends on what your body's actually like with losing weight. I'm able to lose weight really easily and quickly but I can put it on really easily and quickly again. -_-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saaaammm)
    Something you enjoy! And that you can fit in with your daily routine. You may have to search for a bit, but if you enjoy it you will do it more and with a lot of oomph if you get what I mean, and that's when you'll get the best results!
    I also find that I go more with friends and when my exercise is close to me (rather than having to drive out to the gym).

Some ideas though:
    - Swimming
    - Walking
    - Running
    - Skipping (cheap, all it takes is a rope and you can listen to music or watch TV at the same time)
    - Exercise videos (again, good for winter as you don't have to leave your house)
    - Gym exercises (if you go at quiet times, you can almost have an instructor completely to yourself. My friend lost a LOT of weight by having an instructor scream at her "RUN FASTER!! NO YOU CANNOT GET OFF YET" every time she went :lol: but personally I would hate this and probably just start crying)
    - Team sports (I think it's much more fun when there is a bit of competition involved!)

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    start by walking half an hour at a good pace for you. then slowly increase te intensity of the workout

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you're weight inhibits you from doing demanding workouts which, from your use of "obese", I imagine would include such things as jogging then I'd suggest starting off by walking. A LOT. I can't remember her name but I'm pretty sure it's Leslie Sansone who has quite a few videos on Youtube where you can walk either 4 or 5mph and burn shocking amounts of calories. (At least, I thought it was shocking. ) It's pretty low impact so it's easy to stick to once you get used to it.

Also, your diet is an even bigger factor than your workout when losing weight. Eat less, eat good. Join myfitnesspal if you haven't already, put your info in when you join and basically do what the site tells you until you're ready to take control over your calories/macros. (Go to settings and adjust them how you like.) I can't recommend the site enough. I've dropped two or three dress sizes using it, and look to dropping another. It saves a lot of time (I like to plan my meals in advance using it) and has an incredibly helpful and open community. One thing I'm not a fan of is the fact that it advocates 'starvation mode' which has been proven to be bs until you reach bodily extremes.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 18, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.