The Student Room Group

Aqa a-level history (as) unit 1 + unit 2

Well I've just started revision for my AQA A-level History units in May. I am extremely worried about this exam as I think it's the hardest to complete.

There are my units:

Unit 1: USA, 1890 - 1945
Unit 2: A Sixties Social Revolution, 1959 - 1975

I am MOST worried about timing.
Unit 1 is a 75 minute exam and you have to answer a 12 marker and a 24 marker 2 times. I am completely lost with regards to structure for part B. My teacher says that you must write 3 factors for, then 3 against (depending on the question) with facts and an introduction and outro. What have your teachers told you?
I have practised and practised but I always run out of time and when I sit and write an essay I know the questions I'm answering, but in May when I open my exam paper I will have to think of reasons on the spot and I'm just nervous !! Is anyone else doing AQA history????

Thanks very much for those who answer :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey I'm doing those exams too. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Xx4L3x
Well I've just started revision for my AQA A-level History units in May. I am extremely worried about this exam as I think it's the hardest to complete.

There are my units:

Unit 1 is a 75 minute exam and you have to answer a 12 marker and a 24 marker 2 times. I am completely lost with regards to structure for part B. My teacher says that you must write 3 factors for, then 3 against (depending on the question) with facts and an introduction and outro. What have your teachers told you?
I have practised and practised but I always run out of time and when I sit and write an essay I know the questions I'm answering, but in May when I open my exam paper I will have to think of reasons on the spot and I'm just nervous !! Is anyone else doing AQA history????

Hi there, I did this exam last year.

For the 24 mark questions you do need to do "for and against" factors with an introduction and conclusion, although you could probably get away with 2 for and 2 against as long as they are detailed. It is very difficult though.

If you break down the past questions into points and think of your own questions too, you shouldn't have too much of a problem thinking of the points on the spot.
Original post by Xx4L3x

There are my units:

Hey,

I did AQA history AS last year and most of the class had the same problem as you seem to be having. Our teacher came up with a good idea, which was to get all the past paper exam questions and write points for them, just list them. It is handy becomes you go into the exam with common points already to hand, instead of starting from scratch. Another tactic is to just make up random questions and think of points to use for that question.

Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by chelseafan
Hey I'm doing those exams too. :smile:

Have you started revising?
Reply 5
Haven't started revising & really nervous about it :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Original post by -aTOMic-
Haven't started revising & really nervous about it :s-smilie:

What units are you doing? :smile:
Original post by Xx4L3x
Have you started revising?

Not really :frown: Just finishing up writing up my notes.

Have you?
Reply 8
Original post by chelseafan
Not really :frown: Just finishing up writing up my notes.

Have you?

Yes but I'm struggling to retain information :/
I managed a B at AS (five UMS off an A overall) and am aiming for an A in A2 to pick it up to an A overall.

Our units have been:
Unit 1) Totalitarian Regimes (Russia, Germany and Italy)
Unit 2) The USA and Vietnam
Unit 3) Triumph of Elizabeth; England 1547 to 1603
Coursework: The Collapse of the British Raj
I did this course last year but studied Germany+Russia 1870-1914 and British New Liberalism 1902-1918.

The exam is difficult but I think your problem here is aiming for too many paragraphs. For the 24 mark questions, they just want you to show judgement, analysis and evaluation backed by real evidence - 3 paragraphs on each side is tough unless you write ridiculously quickly! It would be much better to have a well structure answer with 2 seriously well-made, detailed points on each side, including a nice, sharp introduction and conclusion, than a rushed answer of lots of vague points.

I am awful at essay writing but this approach seemed to work best for me. Just focus your answer and plan well and I am positive you will do fine :smile:
Any predictions on what will come up for the sixties social revolution question? Also, does anyone know what came up in the Jan exam for this unit?
Thanks in advance
Hey I just realised I do the exact same history units as you OP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending