Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing a degree at Birmingham University in Law. I'm starting to have doubts about whether its worth continuing. Afterall Law is a degree that is massively oversubscribed too.

I have friends who have gone into other careers such as an electrician. There a couple of years older than me, and because we have an oversubscription for proffessional careers, there is consequently a shortage of people in these types of careers, i.e. plumber.

My friend who is now 21 is earning 70 k as an electrician. Thats more than double what the average graduate earns.

You may be saying well, its about the type of job you do not the money. I couldn't agree with you more. However whilst i'm at university accumulating debt, he's out there earning his 70k a year and starting to invest it in property already. He hopes to become a property agent. Well looks like he's on his way.

Ill probably stick it out, after all it brings security, and job prospects are good on the whole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by merob)
    I'm currently doing a degree at Birmingham University in Law. I'm starting to have doubts about whether its worth continuing. Afterall Law is a degree that is massively oversubscribed too.

I have friends who have gone into other careers such as an electrician. There a couple of years older than me, and because we have an oversubscription for proffessional careers, there is consequently a shortage of people in these types of careers, i.e. plumber.

My friend who is now 21 is earning 70 k as an electrician. Thats more than double what the average graduate earns.

You may be saying well, its about the type of job you do not the money. I couldn't agree with you more. However whilst i'm at university accumulating debt, he's out there earning his 70k a year and starting to invest it in property already. He hopes to become a property agent. Well looks like he's on his way.

Ill probably stick it out, after all it brings security, and job prospects are good on the whole.
    Indeed, your right to believe people in jobs like plumbing are earninga packet these days. My dads plumber, is on about 80k a year. Fair play though, its a skilled job, and I'd personally say for that money he has to work much harder than a company director who goes to two meetings a month to pick up his 80k.

ReputationRep:
    To earn that kind of money you have to be very good or basicaly con your customers. I have a joiner mate he is 22 and still earning £6.50 an hour, he makes money on foreigners but as a result he is working 7 days a week.

The law of averages still say that a graduate will earn £450k more over a life time.

I personaly couldn't work in the construction industry as the work is just too physical for me, I am much more of a desk person.

I would complete your degree, you can always still train as an electrician if you want to.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.