The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The Almagro quarter of the draw has really opened up and fitness permitting Monfils could be carried a long way by the crowd.
Gulbis being a douche again. He should put his considerable money where his mouth is and watch himself lose half his fortune from talking trash without the results to back it up.

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/05/gulbis-big-4-are-boring-interviews/47674/#.UaZx3dI3vGB

Edit: Just saw this was already posted.
Original post by Krish4791
Haha - Gulbis is hilarious! :biggrin:
He's the complete opposite of Nadal in many respects. Nadal may go into a press conference after having humiliated someone for the loss of 1/2 games, and then say the other played well, or he'll say "I'm sorry for today."
Gulbis, on the other hand, is the type of person who will declare that he was the better player in a match that he lost, and is not afraid to speak his mind.
Other younger players like Tomic or Jerzy may be overly confident at first, but they'll mellow as they get older. Gulbis is one charismatic guy who will never change - it's good to have someone like this on the tou, even if e's getting a lot of hate after comments like this.

It's healthy that there are players like Gulbis around who don't bow down to the top 4 all the time - there's nothing worse than seeing a player crumble because they know who they're playing against - but he should give it a rest. It's one thing trash talking to get psyched up before a match, but post-loss it's nothing more than bitterness and petulance.
Has anyone aside from Rafa, Fed, Djok got much chance of winning?

Tempted to put a bet down on someone like Tsonga.
Original post by Sirocco11
It's healthy that there are players like Gulbis around who don't bow down to the top 4 all the time - there's nothing worse than seeing a player crumble because they know who they're playing against - but he should give it a rest. It's one thing trash talking to get psyched up before a match, but post-loss it's nothing more than bitterness and petulance.

Yes - I agree that there's a time and place for such comments. What was today during his match with Monfils was that he actually kept his cool pretty much throughout the entire match, even when he made poor errors and was losing. Usually, he is quite expressive on court and I think he was determined to try to win but alas, for him, it never transpired.

Or maybe he was thinking about how to go about starting a war with the Big 4 after the match :P
Original post by James941
Has anyone aside from Rafa, Fed, Djok got much chance of winning?

Tempted to put a bet down on someone like Tsonga.

Monfils? :biggrin:

Otherwise nah. There's a 75% likelihood that the eventual champion will be from the top half of the draw (i.e. Rafa/Novak)
Reply 2046
Is it just me or the clay looks slightly faster this year. Is it due to the weather or it's just me?
Original post by Roger1
Only on indoor courts. Fed has cruised past him else where.

did you watch wimbledon last year? Benneteau took Federer to 5 and very nearly beat him.
Original post by jamsie555
did you watch wimbledon last year? Benneteau took Federer to 5 and very nearly beat him.

That as played indoors, or atleast a lot of it was.
Reply 2049
Just bought a ticket for semi finals day at the Aegon Classic in Birmingham. £10 for a student ticket, brilliant value considering the standard of players that are likely to be in the semis, Vinci, Bartoli, Schiavone, Lisicki, maybe even Robson if she gets her **** together.
Nadal in another tussle on Court Suzanne Lenglen - he's dropped the first set against Martin Klizan 6-4 and is playing quite poorly.
Reply 2051
Is Nadal going to do this every match? Just give away the first set for a bit of excitement.
Original post by D-Box
Is Nadal going to do this every match? Just give away the first set for a bit of excitement.

This is the first time in 7 years that he's dropped 1 set in consecutive matches at RG, and the first time ever it's happened in the first 2 rounds. He's a slow starter (just that I've never seen him start this slowly before)

But he's OK now
Reply 2053
This Nadal is getting his backside kicked by Nole! :tongue:
Reply 2054
Another hour and a half match from the Maestro. Fed wasn't at his best but there was some nice shots on display from both players. One for the highlight reel! :tongue:
Original post by Roger1
Another hour and a half match from the Maestro. Fed wasn't at his best but there was some nice shots on display from both players. One for the highlight reel! :tongue:

Federer played a very tactical game today. Having been 2-0 down in the 1st set, he roared back and broke to level, and then broke again and served out the set.
Sets 2 and 3 were interesting - he played almost nonchalantly, as if he already had the match in his pocket and suddenly flicked the switch at 4-4 in the 2nd set and 5-5 in the 3rd set, breaking Benneteau to love each time. He picked up very quickly on the fact that Julien was not at his best in terms of movement and let him get away with some games before making his move. All in all, a good first week for the Swiss, let's hope he keeps this up.
Reply 2056
Original post by Krish4791
Federer played a very tactical game today. Having been 2-0 down in the 1st set, he roared back and broke to level, and then broke again and served out the set.
Sets 2 and 3 were interesting - he played almost nonchalantly, as if he already had the match in his pocket and suddenly flicked the switch at 4-4 in the 2nd set and 5-5 in the 3rd set, breaking Benneteau to love each time. He picked up very quickly on the fact that Julien was not at his best in terms of movement and let him get away with some games before making his move. All in all, a good first week for the Swiss, let's hope he keeps this up.

One aspect of his game that looks promising this week is his BP conversion. Fed has won 17/24 break points so far and I just hope he keeps this up for the latter rounds. A rather peculiar stat given his poor history with BPs. :tongue:
It's worth noting that Nadal has to play tomorrow as well.
Anyone watching the Monfils match?
Reply 2059
Monfils does like making things hard for himself smh. Could have easily won that in 4 sets

Latest