Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Well yes, the best way to beat him is simply to take him past 3 hours and watch the collapse due to fatigue (in the past he was obviously fit enough but not now).

He'd have won, probably not in straight sets though.
    He may have won in 2011, and as u said probably not straight sets - how do u think they would fair if they played now at Wimbledon?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashnard)
    I do not consider Tsonga to be a strong GS contender. He has shown on multiple occasions that he is capable of some brilliant single-match performances (e.g. AO 2008, WO 2011, RG 2013), but is usually not able to follow it up in the subsequent match. When he is able to string these type of performances together in consecutive matches, then I may be able to consider him differently.

I'm still not convinced that his relationship with Rasheed is actually working. He has been a non-entity outside the majors this year, and has still not proven that he is capable of consistently strong performances against the top 5 at the majors. I really was surprised to hear some people waxing lyrical about Rasheed and Tsonga after he defeated Federer at RG; for me, that performance proved nothing.
    Tsonga has always been a hit and a miss, however this season he had some shocking early exits, which obviously shouldn't be a characteristic of a top 10 player. However, Rasheed has obviously had more positive impact on Tsonga's game than Annacone had on Roger's game. Fed should totally starting seeking a new coach if he wants to revive his career.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tennisisthesport)
    He may have won in 2011, and as u said probably not straight sets - how do u think they would fair if they played now at Wimbledon?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Despite the Murray love here i still think that Fed can play a quick enough match to win against Del Potro, Murray and Djokovic although i would not place a bet on a match against either three as i think it's fairly balanced.

The biggest threats to Federer are probably Tsonga and Nadal dependent upon how quickly Fed gets off the mark.

ReputationRep:
    Despite the Murray love here i still think that Fed can play a quick enough match to win against Del Potro, Murray and Djokovic although i would not place a bet on a match against either three as i think it's fairly balanced.

The biggest threats to Federer are probably Tsonga and Nadal dependent upon how quickly Fed gets off the mark.
    Yh I agree with you there about tsonga and nadal, also yes with the others I couldn't say who would win with Murray Djokovic or delpo against federer - although I think Murray or Djokovic would be more likely to win than delpo (don't get me wrong I love delpo just my thoughts)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Yh I agree with you there about tsonga and nadal, also yes with the others I couldn't say who would win with Murray Djokovic or delpo against federer - although I think Murray or Djokovic would be more likely to win than delpo (don't get me wrong I love delpo just my thoughts)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, they have a chance of slowing the game down. With the other 3 it's simply about who's the better player and with Fed being attacking that can give him an edge.

I disagree. Looking at the FO and Olympics last year i think Del Potro stands as good a chance as any against Fed who barely had him in both matches. Del Potro also matches up well against Nadal so it's a bit weird that he struggles so much against Murray and in some cases Djokovic but perhaps that's a stamina thing.

ReputationRep:
    We have not seen the last of Federer. Thats for sure.

He'll come back and win one or two more grand slams, he has a superb schedule and never gets injured.

This is at the moment his worst form for over a decade and yet it takes the top 4, tsonga, del potro to beat him usually.

Though Stan is atm better than Federer in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, they have a chance of slowing the game down. With the other 3 it's simply about who's the better player and with Fed being attacking that can give him an edge.

I disagree. Looking at the FO and Olympics last year i think Del Potro stands as good a chance as any against Fed who barely had him in both matches. Del Potro also matches up well against Nadal so it's a bit weird that he struggles so much against Murray and in some cases Djokovic but perhaps that's a stamina thing.
    I agree he is good - he beat federer at the Us open in the final - but for some reason I don't see him do as much damage as the others - I know he is capable of an upset and he is one of my favourite players to watch, maybe it's coz he was out for so long with his wrist that I feel as though he's not a great contender :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxxKINGxxx)

He'll come back and win one or two more grand slams, he has a superb schedule and never gets injured.

This is at the moment his worst form for over a decade and yet it takes the top 4, tsonga, del potro to beat him usually.

Let's just hope you are right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger1)
    Tsonga has always been a hit and a miss, however this season he had some shocking early exits, which obviously shouldn't be a characteristic of a top 10 player. However, Rasheed has obviously had more positive impact on Tsonga's game than Annacone had on Roger's game. Fed should totally starting seeking a new coach if he wants to revive his career.
    To be fair to Annacone, he was coaching Federer during his successful 2012 stint. You need to consider the smooth as well as the rough. Federer needs to start establishing some new goals and regain some focus; ever since he won Wimbledon he seems to have lost some motivation.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxxKINGxxx)

I agree. It's weird that Djokovic has been beaten by 2 young guns this year but Fed just the big guys.

I agree he is good - he beat federer at the Us open in the final - but for some reason I don't see him do as much damage as the others - I know he is capable of an upset and he is one of my favourite players to watch, maybe it's coz he was out for so long with his wrist that I feel as though he's not a great contender :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, i find him really weird. When he plays Fed or Nadal i think he's a massive threat but for some reason it's against Murray or Djokovic that i don't think he does much. What's weird about that is that you'd expect a hard court player who can match Fed and actually looks decent on clay to be able to take out the medium surface player (Murray) but he for some reason flops.

ReputationRep:
    Murray and Djokovic nullify hard hitters with their baseline game. Especially since they both get up really forward on Del Potro's second serves, making them on the back foot on their own serve.

ReputationRep:
    Malisse (a good grass courter granted) Cleaned Del Potro 6-1 in a set!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hskjlclcn)
    Malisse (a good grass courter granted) Cleaned Del Potro 6-1 in a set!
    I'm not overly shocked by that. Malisse was a former Wimbledon semi-finalist and DelPo has been out of the game for a while due to a virus (plus there's the fact that grass is not exactly his favourite surface).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krish4791)
    I'm not overly shocked by that. Malisse was a former Wimbledon semi-finalist and DelPo has been out of the game for a while due to a virus (plus there's the fact that grass is not exactly his favourite surface).
    Yeah yeah I agree, when flowing Malisse can pull off some really impressive tennis on Grass. I also remember times when his attitude completely deserts him (Tomic 2011 I think?) which is a shame because he is a proper grass courter.

The game is really hotting up now though!

ReputationRep:
    Del Potro won though :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Mahut vs Murray rematch... Murray should win. He hasn't had a shocker at a bad tournament off clay for a year.

ReputationRep:
    If Murray has got himself 100% fit then I fancy him to do well at Wimbledon, if not win then make the final again. The impact and change in footing for those players who went deep in to the French Open can't be underestimated, just look at how few times the FO/W back to back has been done.

ReputationRep:
    Federrerr is my favourite for wimbeldon , if he is on last years form. The new generation just are grinders with so much endurance.

No-one matches the fedex on skill, but can match him on endurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krish4791)
    IIRC didn't Malisse suffer from heart problems during that Wimbledon semi? Or was that the quarters? Either way, I don't think his body has been his best friend over the years.

ReputationRep:
    I am hoping Nadal will win Wimbledon this year. Impossible to call though looking at the last four winners on major grass tournaments. Wimbledon 2010 (Nadal) 2011 (Djokovic) 2012 (Federer) and Murray at the Olympics. I haven't been this excited for Wimbledon for a good few years.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2014
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.