The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

"Old World Triple" :lol: We all know the only record worth talking about at Wimbledon is the Bryans going for the "Golden Slam".

Original post by TopHat
Del Potro's run at the Olympics consisted of beating Dodig, Seppi, Simon, Nishikori and Djokovic. Aside from Djokovic, none of those should really be that impressive, and Djokovic himself, as mentioned earlier, is not that good on grass. In addition, all of those matches were best of 3 sets, rather than best of 5, like Wimbledon.

He beat who he was supposed to beat and then caused an upset, so he went further than expected. I fail to see how that's not impressive.
Original post by ubi1
Not enjoying this Grass court season start whatsoever. Can't wait for Wimbledon. I really Want Murdal or Fedal final.
"Rafael Nadal will be trying for his third Wimbledon title & if he manages to win Wimbledon,he will become the first ever man in the history of Tennis to do the “Old World Triple” twice in his career."
Old world triple means winning titles at Rome, Paris & London.

rafa is also the first person in the history of the universe to win the NEW WORLD TRIPLE which is Sao Paolo + Acapulco + Indian Wells. Nobody else in the milky way has achieved this legendary feat:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Vamos RAFA!!!!!!!:smile::wink::biggrin::smile::wink::biggrin: RETURN OF THE KING!!!!:D:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by Ashnard
rafa is also the first person in the history of the universe to win the NEW WORLD TRIPLE which is Sao Paolo + Acapulco + Indian Wells. Nobody else in the milky way has achieved this legendary feat:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Vamos RAFA!!!!!!!:smile::wink::biggrin::smile::wink::biggrin: RETURN OF THE KING!!!!:D:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Murray is going for the Brisbane-Queens double, 2nd only to the 'Channel Slam' of the French Open and Wimbledon in terms of prestige.
Reply 3323
Original post by Roger1
Why doesn't anyone want to see a Fed-Nole match at wimby? It could be a classic.

Happened last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3324
Original post by TheMagicRat
"Old World Triple" :lol: We all know the only record worth talking about at Wimbledon is the Bryans going for the "Golden Slam".

He beat who he was supposed to beat and then caused an upset, so he went further than expected. I fail to see how that's not impressive.

Plus, also the fact that he pushed the grass GOAT to the very edge and effectively ended his chances of winning the gold medal at the Olympics shows that Delpo has improved a lot on grass and is the one to keep an eye on this grass court season.
Reply 3325
Original post by Prendah
"old world triple"? Another meaningless record that someone just made up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol its not made up like the golden slam its another record another achievement which has only been done by Nadal and i think Borg.

It's moderately impressive, but I wouldn't say it was indicative of any great Wimbledon performance. He played better at Indian Wells, for example.
Original post by Zepploydath
Murray is going for the Brisbane-Queens double, 2nd only to the 'Channel Slam' of the French Open and Wimbledon in terms of prestige.

Rafa isn't playing Queens this year so that achievement would be null and void. Also, where is Brisbane? I can't remember Rafa playing there. Is it close to Monte Carlo?
Have to say Hewitt has moved well this well this week, he's a quick little bugger.

I'm sure Del Potro will adjust and wipe him off the court though.
I hope Del Potro beats Hewitt. I refuse to support a grown man that chooses to wear his cap backwards.
Original post by Ashnard
I hope Del Potro beats Hewitt. I refuse to support a grown man that chooses to wear his cap backwards.

Ha. I've got a bit of a soft spot for Hewitt as a player because he can really move and his shots are great but he just lacks the force and luck of other players.
Original post by Rakas21
Ha. I've got a bit of a soft spot for Hewitt as a player because he can really move and his shots are great but he just lacks the force and luck of other players.

His game just doesn't appeal to me. I am more of a Delpo fan than I am a "Hewitt-hater" , though. Still, nice to see the older generation doing well, I suppose.
Original post by Ashnard
His game just doesn't appeal to me. I am more of a Delpo fan than I am a "Hewitt-hater" , though. Still, nice to see the older generation doing well, I suppose.

Yeah, i love them both.

That Hewitt double backhand change of direction was brilliant. This is more like the Hewitt of old although i still think Del Potro can bring it back.
There are plenty of photos of me as a 10/11 year old playing tennis with my cap on backwards :lol: But, yes, now that I'm grown up up I wouldn't do it.
I'd also add that like Fed we should not be so suprised that Hewitt can play fairly well when fit because his game is not massively hard on him despite the injuries (which is probably why he can come back).
There are plenty of photos of me as a 10/11 year old playing tennis with my cap on backwards :lol: But, yes, now that I'm grown up up I wouldn't do it.

Were you a fan of Hewitt or just copying others?
Original post by Rakas21
Were you a fan of Hewitt or just copying others?

I did it because I was a huge fan of Hewitt.
Original post by Rakas21
Yeah, i love them both.

That Hewitt double backhand change of direction was brilliant. This is more like the Hewitt of old although i still think Del Potro can bring it back.

Win-win for you then.

It was something that was fashionable among pre-pubescents in the '80s/'90s I believe. For a 32-year-old male to be doing this in 2013 therefore is... a little unbecoming.
Unforced errors piling up for Hewitt, Del Potro seems to have figured out how to keep Hewitt at the baseline.
Great rally at the net there.

Latest