Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Anybody think Tomic has a chance against Simon today?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Anybody think Tomic has a chance against Simon today?
    Tomic loves to slice and on a surface like grass, where bounce is relatively low, it can only help him. And Simon is a pusher, so his game isn't really suited to the faster grass courts, so Tomic has a good chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger1)
    Federer struggled against Henman, because he just wasn't that good in 2001. When he hit his peak around 2004, he was pretty much beating everyone including Henman.
    On the other hand, the surface had changed by 2004 compared to 2001, which is kinda the point. A faster Wimbledon wouldn't benefit Federer so much as it would big hitters and S&Vers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TopHat)
    On the other hand, the surface had changed by 2004 compared to 2001, which is kinda the point. A faster Wimbledon wouldn't benefit Federer so much as it would big hitters and S&Vers.
    You seem to be forgetting the fact that Fed was a S&V player in his early years. He started playing from the baseline after the surface changes in order to stand a better chance of making it to the top.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashnard)
    It was a clever move, I'll admit that. I'm not sure if it merits his declaration as the "Greatest clay coach ever", though
    No Coach has coached a player to 12 slams!Apart from Mr Toni Nadal.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    You seem to be forgetting the fact that Fed was a S&V player in his early years. He started playing from the baseline after the surface changes in order to stand a better chance of making it to the top.
    I think your both correct personally, Federer would see a benefit because he did like to S&V in his early days and is brilliant in the USA however the big servers would probably see an even greater benefit.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Tomic loves to slice and on a surface like grass, where bounce is relatively low, it can only help him. And Simon is a pusher, so his game isn't really suited to the faster grass courts, so Tomic has a good chance.
    Excellent. Should be streaming from 6.15 if anybody wants to watch.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Simon is either unfit or ill, he seems to be coughing a lot and i'm not sure he could go three sets, equally Tomic not really pushing so it's all about the serves at the moment.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Proverbial disappointment, Tomic gets 2 set points and makes 2 mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    Don't like Tomic. Guy will never reach top 4.

ReputationRep:
    I want to head down to wimbledon, never been there before. Has anyone got any tips to getting centre court tickets for the 1st week?

do you really have to camp out overnight, or can I just get really early like 5am?

ReputationRep:
    Djokovic performs a strip tease

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ten...Sharapova.html

ReputationRep:
    He was only an S&Ver at Wimbledon. If you watch his performance on hardcourts in 2001, he doesn't use S&V, he used a (much less refined) version of his current all-court play. He adapted to S&V specifically for Wimbledon - and he wasn't amazing at it. At the time, Fed was considered a hard court player.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firebolt)
    Djokovic performs a strip tease

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ten...Sharapova.html
    There's something really strange about Djokovic's body. I think I remember reading somewhere once that as a child he had a smaller than average chest cavity or something like that, and that it hinders his breathing whilst playing. His chest certainly looks quite narrow for a guy so athletic.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    There's something really strange about Djokovic's body. I think I remember reading somewhere once that as a child he had a smaller than average chest cavity or something like that, and that it hinders his breathing whilst playing. His chest certainly looks quite narrow for a guy so athletic.
    It's doubtful he could play to the degree he does if that were the case now so perhaps it was just a growing issue. Personally i think that's just down to his build.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    Not like Dimitrov is exactly stacked either. You're not really going to be using your pectorals in tennis, after all. Most shots you're using various arm muscles plus your core muscles to pivot.

ReputationRep:
    @Wimbledon: #Draw2013 potential quarter-final match-ups: Djokovic vs. Berdych, Ferrer vs. Del Potro, Nadal vs. Federer and Tsonga vs. Murray #Wimbledon

If Murray gets through the semi then it's fair to say he'll go on and win

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Djokovic with a good half! Although I really think Berdych could reach the final if he gets his stuff together. Also can't believe there is the potential of a fedal quarter final!

Stan vs Hewitt is round 1 too :eek:

Not the run of ideal games for Murray should everyone predicted gets to the quarters!

ReputationRep:
    So, they gave Djokovic who has very little chance against the top 4 on grass a cupcake draw to the final. And Federer being the 7 time and defending champion gets a draw from hell. If he's to win, he has to go through Nadal, Murray and Nole. But, it's all right, Fed has a perfect opportunity to stake his claim as the grass GOAT by winning Wimbledon this year, but he has to at least play at the level he played at last year, otherwise it could get really ugly for him. And just lol at Murray's draw. They really want him to win, don't they? He'll be fresh to pounce on the wounded winner of Fed-Rafa match and obviously he is gonna beat Nole in the final. What a joke!

ReputationRep:
    And just lol at Murray's draw. They really want him to win, don't they? He'll be fresh to pounce on the wounded winner of Fed-Rafa match and obviously he is gonna beat Nole. What a joke!
    Tsonga in GOAT mode won't be a walk in the park for Murray but I agree about the imbalance in the quarters. Nadal should have been in the top half I feel

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2014
Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.