Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    Holy crap!Please say you won.Also was it a 4 hour match?
    Yes - I won lol. I think it took around 5 hours actually (!) - mainly because me and my opponent do not possess fitness skills similar to the Big 4 obviously, so we needed fairly lengthy breaks, especially after the 1st set which took over 1 hour in itself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TopHat)
    I think whether a Master is compulsory or not does have a some bearing on its magnitude, insofar as that if a tournament becomes non-compulsory, then the standard drops, and thus it becomes easier to win. If it is easier to win, then it is a less prestigious achievement.

That said, I split hairs not to live vicariously but just because I'm pedantic.
    You can argue that, but if we take Monte Carlo as the example (I don't actually know which of the other Masters are non-mandatory) it doesn't really follow that the standard drops. Last year Nadal and Djokovic were in the final. As far as standard goes (not the actual match) that was the highest potential match up there could have been in a Masters final. The year before Nadal was against Ferrer, world no.5 and the 4th best clay courter on the tour, and if I remember correctly, it was a very competitive match where Ferrer failed to convert several chances. Discount 2010 since Verdasco was his opponent in the final () but in the years since it has become non-mandatory it hasn't become easier to win it, since the top guys attach a lot of personal prestige to it and choose to enter it as a result.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying that the entire top 32 now decide to skip it, and if course there will still be tough match-ups in the final, but it is true to say that compared to the other Masters, as an average, the match-ups the winner will have had to have gone through will be easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krish4791)
    Yes - I won lol. I think it took around 5 hours actually (!) - mainly because me and my opponent do not possess fitness skills similar to the Big 4 obviously, so we needed fairly lengthy breaks, especially after the 1st set which took over 1 hour in itself
    Did you gain any ATP ranking points lol?I'd like to think your in the top 1000.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    Did you gain any ATP ranking points lol?I'd like to think your in the top 1000.
    Hahahaha! Shame it wasn't an ATP tournament (if only I was good enough - I'm not sure how I would measure up against people in the top 1000!)

ReputationRep:
    Hahahaha! Shame it wasn't an ATP tournament (if only I was good enough - I'm not sure how I would measure up against people in the top 1000!)
    But can you get into an atp tournament trying getting into one you'll be unseeded right?

ReputationRep:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    But can you get into an atp tournament trying getting into one you'll be unseeded right?
    Yes I think so

ReputationRep:
    Yes I think so

go for it.

ReputationRep:
    What a lovely comeback from Serena?

Now time for Murray vs Dimitrov. I think it is going to be a good but short match.

ReputationRep:
    Dimitrov looking good against Murray, although Murray is not playing very well.
    Again more DFs serving for the set, just like against Novak.

ReputationRep:
    Dimitrov has really got to toughen up the mental aspect of his game soonish.

ReputationRep:
    Dimitrov has real issue with serving out sets, DFs just creep out

ReputationRep:
    Alright Peepal just wanted to hear your opinion, whats better winning the french open, wimbledon, and us open or wimbledon,us open and austrailen open??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    Alright Peepal just wanted to hear your opinion, whats better winning the french open, wimbledon, and us open or wimbledon,us open and austrailen open??
    The former for me (3 different surfaces) :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    French, wimby and US just because that shows quality on 3 surfaces

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    The variety of different surfaces shows that you are an all round good player on different surfaces. I would pick French, Wimbledon and US.

ReputationRep:
    Just watched a tennis match of nadal and one of the commentators said if nadal has a huge this year then roger federers record of 17 slams is in jeopardy. Please no negs just kidding feel free to drop some negs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    Just watched a tennis match of nadal and one of the commentators said if nadal has a huge this year then roger federers record of 17 slams is in jeopardy. Please no negs just kidding feel free to drop some negs.
    Implicit in that statement is the assumption that Federer will stay on 17.

I would say that it's unlikely but by no means impossible. He is 26 now, and even if he were theoretically healthy for the next four years I would still think that the feat would be improbable. Add in the fact that his career has been punctuated by long absences (which will probably get worse with age) and I think this becomes doubly improbable. But saying that, he has been so dominant at RG over the years that he could probably go on winning that title indefinitely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    If he was to get more, the majority would be at RG.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.