ReputationRep:
    Well played Murray. On to the next one!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    impressive by murray
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitalented me)
    I agree he has declined but at the end of the day no one can take his 17 GS & numerous other achievements away from him & is arguably the GOAT. The streak of 36 consecutive GS QFs was an incredible record itself & had to end sometime, although admittedly I didn't think it'd be on Wednesday.
    Amazingly that's 17 out of 52 grand slams he's played in. (pretty much 30%). I wonder if anybody has a better conversion rate (probably Rafa).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by accountant-future)
    For some reason, I can only see Djokovic being the only real challenger to Murray
    I think their match would be good but not that inspiring on grass (both better on hard). I'd like to see ideally Murray play Jancowicz in the semi and Del Potro in the final because Murray seems to be dealing really well with soft servers which these two have the power in the serve and forehand to make him play.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usamakhanlodhi)
    Amazing from Janowicz, played really well and it was very good especially 15-30 down serving for the match. And with the exit of Raonic and Dimitrov early it really does make me believe that Janowicz and Tomic seem to have the ability to take advantage of an ever open draw and make a deep run in a GS. I think a Murray Janowicz semi might be on the cards:-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd love to see Tomic play his best again because i love his forehand and he can slice fairly well as well as serve but i'm not sure whether his mental game has really improved. He's got a bad draw though from now playing Gasquet, Berdych and then Djokovic if he survives the first two.

ReputationRep:
    Really thought Murray was going today. Thanks God he win in the end!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The fact that so many people are claiming Murray to be the favourite to win Wimbledon is nothing short of stupidity. The guy is a choker who has a abysmal record in slam finals (1-5) and they expect him to beat Novak Djokovic who is a beast when it comes to mental toughness. Nole just doesn't have the word 'quit' in his dictionary. He fights till the very end. Now some of you may point out that Murray is a better grass court player than Novak and has beaten him on grass before. I agree that Andy's game is more compatible with the grass surface, but Andy's victory was in a BO3 set match in the Olympics SFs. Should they met in the Wimbledon final, which is clearly a match of more significance than the SFs of the Olympics, Murray is likely to lose. Why? Because as I mentioned above, he is a choker. Sorry Murray fans, but just like last year, Murray is likely to shed tears of defeat. Roger made him cry last year and this year it's Djokovic's turn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popnit)
    Really thought Murray was going today. Thanks God he win in the end!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Really? He was never in any real danger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger1)
    The fact that so many people are claiming Murray to be the favourite to win Wimbledon is nothing short of stupidity. The guy is a choker who has a abysmal record in slam finals (1-5) and they expect him to beat Novak Djokovic who is a beast when it comes to mental toughness. Nole just doesn't have the word 'quit' in his dictionary. He fights till the very end. Now some of you may point out that Murray is a better grass court player than Novak and has beaten him on grass before. I agree that Andy's game is more compatible with the grass surface, but Andy's victory was in a BO3 set match in the Olympics SFs. Should they met in the Wimbledon final, which is clearly a match of more significance than the SFs of the Olympics, Murray is likely to lose. Why? Because as I mentioned above, he is a choker. Sorry Murray fans, but just like last year, Murray is likely to shed tears of defeat. Roger made him cry last year and this year it's Djokovic's turn.
    So you are saying he wouldn't win because he is a choker even though he has won a Grand Slam? And your name is Roger1, how surprising!

ReputationRep:
    I still think he's in the best position to win though. I would not be surprised if Djokovic were to win and if he (Nole) were to get past Berdych/DelPo/Ferrer with ease, then I would have him as favourite for the final. But, it would be good if Murray could finally win Wimbledon and get this particular monkey off his back. And he did it at the US Open in similar circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    Can't list how many things are wrong with this post

ReputationRep:
    I think you've overtaken ub1 as most annoying person in this thread for me.
    Murray lost 3 of his finals against Fed playing brilliantly, and not on clay. I'm not sure you can call those chokes. Similarly the Djok losses weren't chokes (and a record of 1-2 in slam finals vs him isn't exactly terrible). Given his grass game, and home support (not to mention the couple of potential obstacles in Djok's half), to suggest it's a foregone conclusion is laughable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kylerfc)
    So you are saying he wouldn't win because he is a choker even though he has won a Grand Slam? And your name is Roger1, how surprising!
    He won the US open last year in extremely tough windy conditions and we all know Nole's game go south in such conditions, not to mention that Nole had no day off between his SF and final, unlike Murray who played his SF on Saturday and final on Monday.

And my username has nothing to do with this. It's not like Murray has been anything of a stumble block for Federer in big matches (3-0 in slam finals to Roger). So, I've no reason to hate Murray. I'm just merely stating facts. Besides I'm don't start hating a player just because he beats my favourite. Rafa Nadal is one of my favourites players.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slumpy)
    Murray lost 3 of his finals against Fed playing brilliantly, and not on clay. I'm not sure you can call those chokes. Similarly the Djok losses weren't chokes (and a record of 1-2 in slam finals vs him isn't exactly terrible). Given his grass game, and home support (not to mention the couple of potential obstacles in Djok's half), to suggest it's a foregone conclusion is laughable.
    He is right about some things however. The BBC seemed to suggest that Murray did "choke" in a sense at Wimbledon last year, which I don't agree with (he was outplayed). I think it's the media's fault really. Back in 2008 they overhyped him when he wasn't ready, but now he IS ready to win Wimbledon and other Grand Slams and he's not as talked about for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    He won the US open last year in extremely tough windy conditions and we all know Nole's game go south in such conditions, not to mention that Nole had no day off between his SF and final, unlike Murray who played his SF on Saturday and final on Monday.

And my username has nothing to do with this. It's not like Murray has been anything of a stumble block for Federer in big matches (3-0 in slam finals to Roger). So, I've no reason to hate Murray. I'm just merely stating facts. Besides I'm don't start hating a player just because he beats my favourite. Rafa Nadal is one of my favourites players.
    Djokovic's game also isn't as good on grass as Murray's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slumpy)
    To suggest that Murray is definietly gonna win is also laughable. I'm not saying he can't win, but if Nole vs Andy final does happen, then Nole should be the favourite, because he has been there and done it before.

FYI Nole beat Nadal to win Wimbledon in 2011. We all know how great Nadal is on grass and obviously better than Murray on that surface, so if Nole can beat the 2nd best grass court player of this generation, they why can't he beat Murray on grass?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    Nadal's game also isn't as good on grass as Murray's
    Agree - not any more. Rafa needs to reconsider his grass court future. Muzz is probs just better suited naturally to the surface. If he wins this year, we might potentially have a new "King of Wimbledon" - I don't envision him winning 5 in a row or anything like that, but he could repeat in 2014 and maybe even 2015 if he trains hard for it.

ReputationRep:
    I think we should save the Novak vs Andy speculation until it actually happens, Novak still has a fairly tough draw and you never know with this Wimbledon especially.
    Also, it will be interesting to see Novak's first proper test against Haas, if he gets there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    Nadal's game also isn't as good on grass as Murray's
    Nadal vs Murray H2H on grass is 3-0 in Nadal's favour, not to mention the fact that Nadal has made 5 consecutive Wimby finals and won 2 of them, which for one of them he had to beat the Grass GOAT in 2008. Whereas, Murray got humbled quite easily by an old Federer in the end last year. You are out of your mind for suggesting that Murray is better than Nadal on grass, because he isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krish4791)
    He is right about some things however. The BBC seemed to suggest that Murray did "choke" in a sense at Wimbledon last year, which I don't agree with (he was outplayed). I think it's the media's fault really. Back in 2008 they overhyped him when he wasn't ready, but now he IS ready to win Wimbledon and other Grand Slams and he's not as talked about for some reason.
    Yeah, I definitely wouldn't call that a choke. Roof closed, on grass? Beating Fed playing like he was would've been an enormous ask, and Andy was pretty close.
    And yeah, I agree. It seems to me that him actually winning one has stopped them overhyping him. I'm not totally sure why...

To suggest that Murray is definietly gonna win is also laughable. I'm not saying he can't win, but if Nole vs Andy final does happen, then Nole should be the favourite, because he has been there and done it before.

FYI Nole beat Nadal to win Wimbledon in 2011. We all know how great Nadal is on grass and obviously better than Murray on that surface, so if Nole can beat the 2nd best grass court player of this generation, they why can't he beat Murray on grass?
    The bookies generally have Nole as favourite. Many people give Andy the edge for the above reasons. Personally I think with the way the previous matches have gone, I back Murray.
    I don't think Rafa is that great a grass court player in fairness (perhaps due to the unreal standards he's set on clay). Fed is (was?) incredible on grass, but matched up awfully vs rafa, so I don't know if we can take an awful lot from his losses. Nole was pretty much in Rafa's head that year, so it wasn't an enormous surprise (although a surprise I will admit it was). I'd like to have seen Murray-Rafa this year. I think Murray would've beaten him (ie I disagree with your claim that Rafa is obviously better on grass).

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2014
Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.