Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Berdych seems to have flown under the radar thus far - I never even realised he'd slimed his way through into Round 3. He's playing Anderson for what must be the billionth time this season tomorrow - and there's only one outcome really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger1)
    Nadal vs Murray H2H on grass is 3-0 in Nadal's favour, not to mention the fact that Nadal has made 5 consecutive Wimby finals and won 2 of them, which for one of them he had to beat the Grass GOAT in 2008. Whereas, Murray got humbled quite easily by an old Federer in the end last year. You are out of your mind for suggesting that Murray is better than Nadal on grass, because he isn't.
    These are all things Nadal has done in the past. Murray has won more matches this Wimbledon than Rafa has done the past 2 years. If they were to play now it would be a much more even contest.

ReputationRep:
    IMO if Murray wins Wimbledon I think he will probably the best player on grass now
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prendah)
    These are all things Nadal has done in the past. Murray has won more matches this Wimbledon than Rafa has done the past 2 years. If they were to play now it would be a much more even contest.
    Well yeah but we only have past records to go on and while i do think Roger was being overly harsh (i think it's great that Murray got to some finals early on but to be honest he was probably a bit lucky and against a peak Federer) but when it comes to Nadal while he is not the most conventional grass courter, he'd almost certainly beat Murray if fully fit on grass whether that's being better or because the match-ups bad is simply another question because on grass his game does work.

ReputationRep:
    So many Murray haters.

He's the clear favourite now. Maybe Janowicz as a dark horse.

ReputationRep:
    I actually meant Djokovic in my earlier post

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there's much doubt that Djokovic and Murray are the best grass court players out there right now, Federer has the magic still but it's only there in patches rather than a consistent high level showing like he had in the past, Nadal is great on the clay but just doesn't seem to be at it on the grass anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Actually I don't think Djokovic is all that on the grass court. The only time he did win wimbledon, he was in the form of his life, was playing Rafa(he owned Rafa that year) and took advantage of a simple draw.

Even in the Olympics he lost in straight sets to Murray and then a very tired Del Potro. And Federer cruised past him last year, and Berdych beat him in straight sets in 2010. You see the pattern?

Djoko tends to lose in big games on grass apart from the one time he was in God like form.

If Juan Martin Del Potro gets to the semi final he has a great chance. It's just a shame that DelPo might lose to Djokovic's puppy dog Ferrer. Either way, Murray should be odds on now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krish4791)
    He's playing Anderson for what must be the billionth time this season tomorrow - and there's only one outcome really.
    It's got "game, Set & Match Berdych. 7-6 6-3 6-4" written all over it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Amazingly that's 17 out of 52 grand slams he's played in. (pretty much 30%). I wonder if anybody has a better conversion rate (probably Rafa).
    Correction 17 out of 57 slams played in and yes Rafa has a better conversion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slumpy)
    Yeah, I definitely wouldn't call that a choke. Roof closed, on grass? Beating Fed playing like he was would've been an enormous ask, and Andy was pretty close.
    And yeah, I agree. It seems to me that him actually winning one has stopped them overhyping him. I'm not totally sure why...

The bookies generally have Nole as favourite. Many people give Andy the edge for the above reasons. Personally I think with the way the previous matches have gone, I back Murray.
    I don't think Rafa is that great a grass court player in fairness (perhaps due to the unreal standards he's set on clay). Fed is (was?) incredible on grass, but matched up awfully vs rafa, so I don't know if we can take an awful lot from his losses. Nole was pretty much in Rafa's head that year, so it wasn't an enormous surprise (although a surprise I will admit it was). I'd like to have seen Murray-Rafa this year. I think Murray would've beaten him (ie I disagree with your claim that Rafa is obviously better on grass).
    Nadal is better than Murray on Grass. Look at it this way since 2006-2011 5 Wimbledon Finals in a Row taking Prime Federer to 5 Sets in 2007 beating the GOAT in 08 Reaching 5 consecutive Wimbledon Finals Before his knees playing Havoc with him. So if Murray at his best Vs Rafa at his best on grass will just result in Rafa beating him just like he did on the previous 3 occasions.If there was no Federer then Nadal would have been as great as Borg on the Grass. Same could be said about Federer if there was no Nadal on the clay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bronco2012)
    So many Murray haters.

Clear favourite? He's not even the favourite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bronco2012)
    So many Murray haters.

Just because I don't kiss his ass like the most British tennis fans/commentators do doesn't make me a hater. I just don't think he is the favourite and I've even used stats to back my claim. What's your proof that he is the clear favourite?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    Correction 17 out of 57 slams played in and yes Rafa has a better conversion
    I suppose that's because he often skips slams he thinks he might lose due to 'injury'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    Nadal is better than Murray on Grass. Look at it this way since 2006-2011 5 Wimbledon Finals in a Row taking Prime Federer to 5 Sets in 2007 beating the GOAT in 08 Reaching 5 consecutive Wimbledon Finals Before his knees playing Havoc with him. So if Murray at his best Vs Rafa at his best on grass will just result in Rafa beating him just like he did on the previous 3 occasions.If there was no Federer then Nadal would have been as great as Borg on the Grass. Same could be said about Federer if there was no Nadal on the clay.
    Your argument might hold for was but certainly doesn't for is. A second round and first round exit don't suggest great things for current/future Rafa (on grass at least).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krish4791)
    Berdych seems to have flown under the radar thus far - I never even realised he'd slimed his way through into Round 3. He's playing Anderson for what must be the billionth time this season tomorrow - and there's only one outcome really.
    I did say during the French Open that I fancied him after his early exit there. Can't see him getting past Djokovic though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JOR2010)
    I suppose that's because he often skips slams he thinks he might lose due to 'injury'.
    Well thats your opinion and why should you play if you have serious knee injuries. Murray didn't play French open why because he was injured simple as if you're injured you don't play.

ReputationRep:
    Your argument might hold for was but certainly doesn't for is. A second round and first round exit don't suggest great things for current/future Rafa (on grass at least).
    It was clear that Rafa was injured during his match with Darcis. He was clearly limping. Not too sure about the Rosol match though. He was moving fine, although he did have injection marks on his knee.

ReputationRep:
    But still you can't say Murray is better than Nadal on Grass. What were the reasons Nadal lost last year and this year. Nadal's knees are getting worser than previous years therefore making him decline. Murray hasn't done nothing outstanding on Grass apart from Win Olympics in his home country he was lucky to face Federer when Federer is in his decline but still even OLD Federer beat Murray on Grass at wimbledon in Murrays backyard thats itself speaks volumes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    But still you can't say Murray is better than Nadal on Grass. What were the reasons Nadal lost last year and this year. Nadal's knees are getting worser than previous years therefore making him decline. Murray hasn't done nothing outstanding on Grass apart from Win Olympics in his home country he was lucky to face Federer when Federer is in his decline but still even OLD Federer beat Murray on Grass at wimbledon in Murrays backyard thats itself speaks volumes.
    Not to mention the fact that he defeated a tired Federer who had a 4.5 hour marathon the previous round.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2014
Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.