The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4500
Original post by samir12
So why don't you hate on the british people? Is it Murrays fault that they hype him so much?

Seriously, Murray fanboys have nothing on Justin Bieber fangirls.

I don't hate Murray, I just dislike him. One reason for that is the continuous hype that he gets. Another reason for that is his boring passive style of play. The guy even makes grass look boring. Just my opinion.
Reply 4501
Original post by Roger1
Seriously, Murray fanboys have nothing on Justin Bieber fangirls.

I don't hate Murray, I just dislike him. One reason for that is the continuous hype that he gets. Another reason for that is his boring passive style of play. The guy even makes grass look boring. Just my opinion.

Have you watched any of his matches recently?
Also, Federer fanyboyism is above even Justin Bieber fangirls.
Reply 4502
Original post by Prendah

I have watched his recent matches and as always I was bored. Sorry to break your heart. :tongue:
Reply 4503
Original post by cammoo8
What are you doing in a tennis discussion? You are clearly clueless about tennis.

How exactly is Murray 'nowhere near the best'?
He is world no.2. I'd say that is pretty close.

You're probably just another butthurt hater.

The only reason why Murray is world no.2 right now is because of Nadal taking 7 months off recovering from injury and soon Nadal will overtake Murray in the rankings
Reply 4504
Andy Murray is ahead of Nadal in the ranking by 1665 points even if he wins wimbledon + 800 points - the points he won at olympics which will result in less than 2000 points Gap and Murray cannot maintain That lead as Nadal will gain from every tournament whereas Murray will only defend points.
Original post by ubi1
Andy Murray is ahead of Nadal in the ranking by 1665 points even if he wins wimbledon + 800 points - the points he won at olympics which will result in less than 2000 points Gap and Murray cannot maintain That lead as Nadal will gain from every tournament whereas Murray will only defend points.

You have to remember that Nadal traditionally struggles post-Wimbledon plus the fact that Murray's defending hardly anything from Cincy, Canada and Paris. I expect Murray/Djokovic to dominate come the hardcourt swing so i'm backing him to hold onto the number 2 ranking.
Reply 4506
Original post by kbountra
You have to remember that Nadal traditionally struggles post-Wimbledon plus the fact that Murray's defending hardly anything from Cincy, Canada and Paris. I expect Murray/Djokovic to dominate come the hardcourt swing so i'm backing him to hold onto the number 2 ranking.

After Wimbledon Murray is defending 3000+ points whereas Nadal has nothing to defend.
Original post by ubi1

I'm almost certain you care more about Nadal's ranking more than Nadal does.
Reply 4508
Original post by TheMagicRat
I'm almost certain you care more about Nadal's ranking more than Nadal does.

What am saying is just before Nadal got injured he was ahead of murray in the rankings by 3000+ POINTS Nadal lost a shyt ton of points due to Injury thus allowing Murray to gain the number 2 spot. After wimbledon Ferrer will be world no.3. All this is happening due to Nadal taking months off tennis otherwise Murray or Ferrer both wouldn't have been world no.2 and 3.

1000TH POST- East or West Nadal is the Best:wink:.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ubi1
What am saying is just before Nadal got injured he was ahead of murray in the rankings by 3000+ POINTS Nadal lost a shyt ton of points due to Injury thus allowing Murray to gain the number 2 spot. After wimbledon Ferrer will be world no.3. All this is happening due to Nadal taking months off tennis otherwise Murray or Ferrer both wouldn't have been world no.2 and 3.

Nadal's absence is certainly the reason for Ferrer's ranking but I'm not sure I could confidently say the same about Murray's. I think Nadal would like to be top 4 purely to avoid draws like the Wimbledon draw but besides that I think Nadal's at a stage in his career where his ranking doesn't matter that much. I think he knows that pretty much all that matters now is winning slams.
Reply 4510
Would Murray have won the US open last year and climbed up the rankings if Nadal hadn't got injured? I seriously doubt it.
Original post by Roger1
Would Murray have won the US open last year and climbed up the rankings if Nadal hadn't got injured? I seriously doubt it.

I have no idea and it doesn't matter anyway.

You're completely overstating how good Murray was in the second half of last year. Besides the Olympics and the US Open what did he do? Nothing. He underachieved in pretty much all of the Masters 1000s. Look at his record in those tournaments from 2008-11 and then look at last year's record. It was rubbish but he won the two tournaments that mattered and it was hailed as his best year yet. Proof, if ever it were needed, that rankings and Masters 1000s are nice but ultimately meaningless when you're at the top of the game.
Reply 4512
Original post by Roger1

OMG does it really matter? There's no way of getting a conclusive answer so why bother asking. He won it end of. You say you're not a hater but you seem to be coming across as one lately. Of course the British press are going to talk more about Murray. If it really bothers you that much why not watch ESPN streams or Tennischannel. You can't expect the British media to not be favourable of the only male tennis player to have won a GS in 76years
Reply 4513
Original post by Roger1

I don't think Murray would have won there as Nadal is the biggest challenge for Murray and the worst Matchup possible for Murray.
Original post by Prendah

Have to admit that i kind of agree with Roger. I like Djokovic and Murray for their stamina and fortitude in being great returners but i do find their styles of play to be kinda rigid (not sure if that's the right word exactly).

Original post by TheMagicRat
Nadal's absence is certainly the reason for Ferrer's ranking but I'm not sure I could confidently say the same about Murray's. I think Nadal would like to be top 4 purely to avoid draws like the Wimbledon draw but besides that I think Nadal's at a stage in his career where his ranking doesn't matter that much. I think he knows that pretty much all that matters now is winning slams.

Given that Nadal was on 10000 points to the end of the French Open 2012 and Murray only 1000 higher now than he was then i see little reason to think that Nadal would have been displaced even allowing for US Open and Olympic win versus a semi final as his norm. Nadal may not be hot on hard courts but he at least tends to get respectable results. He would have taken third however with Fed's drop off post Olympics.

Personally i'm starting to look forward to the hard court season now and i'm very interested in whether Del Potro will shine again. Back in the second half of 2009 he defeated Nadal no less than 3 times, he defeated Roddick (number 5 at the time) twice and not only dethroned Federer but then beat him again at the WTF. I feel that he actually reached that level again in 2012 reaching 9 finals (seemed to meet Fed a lot) and took Fed to 5 sets at the FO and to a tie break at the Olympics.

Outside of Indian Wells this year he's not looked stunning but he's yet to drop a set at Wimbledon (i think only Djokovic and Murray can say the same) and if he can break his duck with Ferrer then he stands a chance of glory. Perhaps this heralds a good season.
Original post by ubi1
I don't think Murray would have won there as Nadal is the biggest challenge for Murray and the worst Matchup possible for Murray.

It's actually 6-6 on hard courts (6-4 Murray if you discount 2007) so he may have done it.
Reply 4516
Original post by Rakas21
It's actually 6-6 on hard courts (6-4 Murray if you discount 2007) so he may have done it.

its 6-5 on Hard Courts to Nadal lol how did you get 6 for Murray?
Reply 4517
Original post by ubi1
The only reason why Murray is world no.2 right now is because of Nadal taking 7 months off recovering from injury and soon Nadal will overtake Murray in the rankings

I "love" how you turn pretty much every discussion to Nadal. Anyway that's not the only reason Murray is number 2 right now simply because we don't know that Nadal wouldn't have lost any points with/without his injury and 7 months out. Sport is not a foregone conclusion.
Original post by ubi1
its 6-5 on Hard Courts to Nadal lol how did you get 6 for Murray?

Your right, 2 were Nadal retirements so it's 6-4 overall but 4-4 since 2008.
Reply 4519
Original post by Rakas21
You're right, 2 were Nadal retirements so it's 6-4 overall but 4-4 since 2008.

Aye, i wouldn't be too surprised if murray were to turn around the Hardcourt H2H as Nadals playing style is rapidly effecting his knees but Nadal will still go down on a positive number overall. One funny thing is once Murray took a set of Nadal at Monte Carlo i respect him for that sick guy:wink:

Latest