The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4740
Thoughts on Delpo-Ferrer? I'd like Delpo to go through, as I can't see Ferrer doing anything much vs Djok in the semi. He always seems to have Delpo's number, but I'd say (hope?) on grass Delpo might be able to sneak it..
Original post by Slumpy
Thoughts on Delpo-Ferrer? I'd like Delpo to go through, as I can't see Ferrer doing anything much vs Djok in the semi. He always seems to have Delpo's number, but I'd say (hope?) on grass Delpo might be able to sneak it..

I hope DelPo can make it past Ferrer, but based on last year's 6-3, 6-2, 6-3 dismissal, I probably would not bet money on it.
Reply 4742
Original post by Krish4791
I hope DelPo can make it past Ferrer, but based on last year's 6-3, 6-2, 6-3 dismissal, I probably would not bet money on it.

Yeah, and especially since Delpo is carrying an injury as well.
Reply 4743
Original post by Krish4791

I want to believe!:p:
I think Delpo has a better shot this year against Ferrer, who has had some tough matches so far against Bautista, Dolgo and Dodig initially. I hope he makes it through - as most of you are saying I just can't see Ferrer troubling Djokovic. It would be amazing if Delpo won Wimbledon.
Original post by Slumpy

He's lost twice to Ferrer on grass in straight sets so that does not bode well however he should be able to run it closer than 2012 given that his serve looks stronger and he's not had to play anywhere near his best yet.
Reply 4746
I can see Del Potro beating Djokovic, but I can't see Delpo beating Ferrer, and I can't see Ferrer beating Djokovic.

Don't really think Berdych stands much of a chance either.

Think we'll see Djoko in the finals.
Reply 4747
Original post by Xotol
I can see Del Potro beating Djokovic, but I can't see Delpo beating Ferrer, and I can't see Ferrer beating Djokovic.

Don't really think Berdych stands much of a chance either.

Think we'll see Djoko in the finals.

This is my opinion too. I'd love to see Delpo v Djok (I think Djok probably would win, but Del Potro would have a decent shot), but I imagine we won't get to!
The thing that's actually impressed me most about Del Potro this Wimbledon is that unlike a lot of other players he has only played at the level he needs to in order to win rather than getting a stupid scoreline like we see often from Fed in early rounds. For example today he never really came out of second gear until the second set tiebreak but by that time he'd had break point on pretty much all of Seppi's serves even if he did not capitalize.

This is encouraging to me because i feel that he does have another 2 gears until he's going full pelt and so if he can bring this against Ferrer he should have a good chance.
Original post by Slumpy
This is my opinion too. I'd love to see Delpo v Djok (I think Djok probably would win, but Del Potro would have a decent shot), but I imagine we won't get to!

See i'd actually go for a Del Potro win for two reasons...

1) Their only match on grass was last year in which Del Potro won in straight sets after a 4 hour match.

2) Their last match was a win for Del Potro where quite frankly Djokovic was just hit off the court

Djokovic would win if he got the first set i feel but i think it's a good match-up for Del Potro.
Just caught up with it all and what a win for Lisicki!

Murray has to be careful on Wednesday. He should pull through but if Verdasco can get his end of 2008 start of 2009 forehand going he has a chance. he has been serving brilliantly this tournament.

I also fancy Delpo to finally turn Ferrer over, purely because Ferrer isn't at his best and Delpo has been playing some really good stuff (All in matches he should win admittedly)

Janowicz and Djokovic will win for me easier, even though Berdych can trouble Djokovic on his day the mental side of his game doesn't seem to be all there like it was in 2010.
Murray's biggest weakness is his second serve, which is about 75. The other top players (Djokovic, Nadal, etc) have second serves 80+.
Reply 4752
Original post by ThatPerson
Murray's biggest weakness is his second serve, which is about 75. The other top players (Djokovic, Nadal, etc) have second serves 80+.

I saw a stat the other day that Murray's forehand was averaging 73mph this wimby (c.f. 69 mph last). Seems insane his second serve is averaging not far off that!
Original post by Slumpy
I saw a stat the other day that Murray's forehand was averaging 73mph this wimby (c.f. 69 mph last). Seems insane his second serve is averaging not far off that!

Did you see him try to hit a 65 second serve at Youzhny today?

Maybe Lendl will improve his second serve this year.

Djokovic and Federer are around the 90mph mark I would say, Rafa is usually high 80s to 90mph+. Seems like splitting hairs, but there's a big difference between a second serve travelling at 90mph to one at 75.

Physically I can't quite understand how a guy as physically strong as Murray can actually hit a 65mph serve.

heck, serena williams and probably a few of the other women players have bigger 2nd serves than that :lol:
In the 2011 US Open (Final?), I think I remember Rafa once hitting a 60mph second serve, I don't know if I've seen any pro do it slower than that.
Original post by Slumpy
That could easily happen, if he was that much better than everyone else (ie being better than other people certainly doesn't imply you're at your best). I don't think he was noticeably off his peak by 2009 though to be fair.

But he doesn't get to all 4 GS finals every year, so it implies he was better in 2009 than most years, so still at his peak.
Reply 4758
Did you see him try to hit a 65 second serve at Youzhny today?

Maybe Lendl will improve his second serve this year.

Crikey, I did not. That sounds astonishing.

Original post by manchesterunited15
But he doesn't get to all 4 GS finals every year, so it implies he was better in 2009 than most years, so still at his peak.

IIRC, he didn't make like, 2 finals from (approx) wimby 2004 to USO 2009, and both were going out in the semis to people playing really rather well (Safin, Djok?, both AO). Slightly kinder draws in 2009 (as I believe he had) would easily discount the idea he was better in 2009 than 2004-8 (I haven't checked his masters performance, but I seem to recall it was somewhat worse). Obviously I could well be misremembering.
Original post by Slumpy
Crikey, I did not. That sounds astonishing.

IIRC, he didn't make like, 2 finals from (approx) wimby 2004 to USO 2009, and both were going out in the semis to people playing really rather well (Safin, Djok?, both AO). Slightly kinder draws in 2009 (as I believe he had) would easily discount the idea he was better in 2009 than 2004-8 (I haven't checked his masters performance, but I seem to recall it was somewhat worse). Obviously I could well be misremembering.

He reached 18 of 19 grand slam finals with runs of 10 and 8.

Latest