The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Watching the women's final now - really great tennis, a pleasure to watch. Can Sharapova hold on to her advantage though?

EDIT: Err... no -she can't.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 461
Serena not playing as well as she did in the semi which is a shame. Good for Maria first time she's taken a set off Serena since 2008
Great match so far, one of the best on the WTA this year in terms of quality and intensity.
Original post by Sirocco11
Great match so far, one of the best on the WTA this year in terms of quality and intensity.

Totally agree. I have to admit, I was wrong about Sharapova - she's playing like a goddess out there at the moment!
Reply 464
Original post by Sirocco11

Really?? I'd say Serena needs to be a few more levels up for it to be considered a great match.
Original post by Skkc16
Really?? I'd say Serena needs to be a few more levels up for it to be considered a great match.

It WAS a great match about 20 mins ago but Serena is not quite there at the moment - she seems to have lost her way.
Reply 466
Original post by Krish4791
It WAS a great match about 20 mins ago but Serena is not quite there at the moment - she seems to have lost her way.

It's become great again :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Skkc16
It's become great again :biggrin:

'Tis an awesome battle! Not sure who's going to win
Reply 468
This crowd got their money's worth for sure.

Reply 469
:eek:According to the stats I'm looking at, Serena's up 5-0 with only 27% first serves!
Reply 470
Original post by ecw412
:eek:According to the stats I'm looking at, Serena's up 5-0 with only 27% first serves!

She's won it.
Another amazing stat is that she had 100% break point conversion

Reply 471
What a champion? Congratulations Serena! :biggrin:
Reply 472
100% break point conversion.

Boom.
Was it me or did the beautiful Sharapova just give up? it was a good match-up until around halfway through the second set and then she just gave up, many times she could of reached the ball and rallied it back but she didn't, she just stopped short :s-smilie:
Reply 474
Original post by tehFrance
Was it me or did the beautiful Sharapova just give up? it was a good match-up until around halfway through the second set and then she just gave up, many times she could of reached the ball and rallied it back but she didn't, she just stopped short :s-smilie:

Nope. I'll say the part that might have let her down is her serve coz it dropped off in the second set and it was working well in the 1st.
She couldn't reach some of those balls because Serena started playing like herself and hitting them really hard and as far away from Maria as she could. Although the 3rd set was a bagel Maria did put up a fight I though

Reply 475
Serena was/is amazing! But Sharapova certainly rose to the occasion and played Serena harder then i had seen her play her in a long time, how that will help/effect her confidence we will have to see in the clay season. Onto the Men's final tomorrow, hoping it's a good one!
Reply 476
Original post by Prendah
Is there an online link or is it just in the paper?

Sorry for the super late reply, i was offline. Here's a link: http://t.co/jGj28y0l2G

This was posted from my phone
Reply 477
when was the last time sharapova took a set off serena?
Reply 478
Original post by Jack93o
when was the last time sharapova took a set off serena?

Looks like Charleston, 2008.
Sharapova has lost 5 times in the final apparently there :redface:

Latest