Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger1)
    So excited that Federer is playing Hamburg and Gstaad. I thought after his shocking 2nd round defeat, that my summer is ruined in tennis terms, but Roger has salvaged it by adding these two tournaments that he is the favourite for.
    Can understand Federer wanting to add to his calendar but I find it bizarre that he's chosen to enter clay court events Atlanta and Washington are hosting hard court tournaments in the period prior to the masters 1000s. These would be far better preparation for the rest of the season imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatPerson)
    Unless he makes the same mistakes that he did in the opening of the second set against Berdych
    To Djokovic's credit, he's yet to lose a set despite having those moments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sirocco11)
    Are you not capable of typing it into Youtube?
    Cant find it on utube. Pls post it here.

ReputationRep:
    So excited that Federer is playing Hamburg and Gstaad. I thought after his shocking 2nd round defeat, that my summer is ruined in tennis terms, but Roger has salvaged it by adding these two tournaments that he is the favourite for.
    I wanted Nadal to play Bastad and Hamburg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kbountra)
    Del potro also hasn't dropped a set.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, he recovered well from it.

ReputationRep:
    Can understand Federer wanting to add to his calendar but I find it bizarre that he's chosen to enter clay court events Atlanta and Washington are hosting hard court tournaments in the period prior to the masters 1000s. These would be far better preparation for the rest of the season imo.
    But Atlanta and Washington start on the week commencing 7/22 and 7/29, which means that he would have to play for 4 straight weeks assuming he goes on to play Canada and Cincinnati, which begin a week and two after the beginning of Washington. He obviously isn't and can't do that at his age, so a weeks rest between Gstaad and Rogers Cup is hopefully sufficient for him to have a decent US Open series.

Plus, Clay gives him the perfect opportunity to work on his ground strokes, which have been very sub par at least for his high standards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    I wanted Nadal to play Bastad and Hamburg.
    Bastad is Sweden and Uncle Toni gave a hint that Nadal might play a tournament in Germany. Now, as all the wildcards for Hamburg are taken, he can only enter Stuttgart which begins next week.

ReputationRep:
    You'd think the Lisicki-Radwanska match would decide the winner of the women's singles but given how this tournament has gone you can never be sure. Ideally their contrasting styles set up a match to savour, and I'm going for a Rad v Bartoli final.

ReputationRep:
    Bastad is Sweden and Uncle Toni gave a hint that Nadal might play a tournament in Germany. Now, as all the wildcards for Hamburg are taken, he can only enter Stuttgart which begins next week.
    Arghh why didn't he enter Hamburg. Stuttgart is only 250 series not much benefit in terms of rankings, however it will take him closer to Vilas in terms of clay titles won.

ReputationRep:
    But Atlanta and Washington start on the week commencing 7/22 and 7/29, which means that he would have to play for 4 straight weeks assuming he goes on to play Canada and Cincinnati, which begin a week and two after the beginning of Washington. He obviously isn't and can't do that at his age, so a weeks rest between Gstaad and Rogers Cup is hopefully sufficient for him to have a decent US Open series.

Plus, Clay gives him the perfect opportunity to work on his ground strokes, which have been very sub par at least for his high standards.
    Not saying he enters both Atlanta and Washington but they remain better options than either Gstaad or Hamburg. It's an unnecessary transition to a new surface when he could be focusing on getting match-sharp for the fast hardcourt swing.

ReputationRep:
    Just got round to watching the Andy Murray documentary tonight; sound programme showing his behind the scenes persona. Never realised he was involved in the Dunblane incident and how much it affects him and his brother who didn't want to really mention it.

But, I remember when he made that "I hope anyone wins against England" but kinda taken OTT but he's done well, with success, to bridge that gap between him and the UK fans.

Hope he wins it but Djokovic a major threat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    Hope he wins it but Djokovic a major threat.
    Tbh at the moment Djokovic is the least of his worries, not only because Djokovic himself could easily get beat by Del Potro (as long as his knee holds up), but mainly because Janowicz could wipe the floor with him.

The way the BBC and general news over here has treated Janowicz is pretty remarkable. Especially Henman saying "from Murray's point of view the opportunity to play Janowicz in a Grand Slam semi-final he didn't want to miss out on"...as if it's a foregone conclusion. Janowicz hit Murray off the park in Paris last year and could easily do the same at Wimbledon, as he is in pretty good form.

Murray fans simply have to hope his serve falters slightly, like against Melzer. Or alternatively they have to hope that Murray somehow learns to stand a hell of a lot further forward against a player with a much bigger serve than Verdasco.

ReputationRep:
    Some really good Men's QFs, glad my predictions ended up being right. Janowicz was so cute when he exchanged shirts with Kubot and hard to believe this is his 3rd grass court tournament. As for Djokovic-Berdych match Berdych did have his chances in the 1st set tiebreak also of course when he was 2 breaks up in the 3rd set but credit to Djokovic for finding a way through without dropping a set.I really do think he is playing better than he did when he won Wimbledon, certainly his movement is better. Really glad that Delpotro got through really thought in that first set he was going to retire. Played some really good tennis and as long as his knee is manageable he could really push Djokovic.

Now for the Murray match.. What a match , just reading through the thread after he won here are some of my observations(bearing in mind I am just an 18 yer old on an Internet forum who is a Murray fan)

My opinion has always been that unless there is a retirement or an injury which is really damaging an opponents game which makes things a bit more complicated the person who wins generally I think "deserves to win". Even if the person who wins has won less points overall in the match than his opponent. Because I think the better player, the player who deserves the win is who adapts and wins the important points not perhaps playing his best tennis or tennis which is nice to watch but by just grinding it out. In tennis we all know some points are much more important than other points and the best players are those who win those crucial points

Also I think in the modern tennis game especially on the men's side thephysicality of the sport is possibly at an all time high. And I think this act of the game especially in 5sets GS tennis over 2 weeks is as important as the mental maturity of the athletes and their actual tennis game. So I think if one player wins the match in the 5th set because the other player is tired etc that doesn't mean the player didn't deserve the victory or that he necessarily wasn't the better player as being able to be physically fit over 5sets in my opinion is one of the characteristics of the top playersin the mens game and over 3sets for the womens game . Also think of all the matches in which one player gets tired and starts missing shots it happens a lot epically in 5th sets but that doesn't mean the player who wins didn't deserve the win. So I think it's unfair people attacking Murray becaus she was the fresher player at the end of the 5th set and I think tbh Verdasco was more mentally exhausted then physically exhausted near the end of that match

Also I find it weird that people keep on saying that Verdasco let Murray into the match well obviously when someone lets 2 sets to love lead slip he has let the opponent back into the match but let's remember that the determination it must take of the person behind to not lose hope and come back. When Djokoviccameback against Murray in the US open Murrays level had dropped and he started becoming more passive his movement was a bit off etc but my opinion and that of many on TSR back then was that it was all credit to Djokovic for upping his game. Also lets remember that you could also say that Murray kind of gave the first 2sets to Verdasco as he made some really shocking errors on key points and was a break up in the 2nd sets and was even near to getting a double break if I remember correctly. But that us UNFAIR to Verdasco as the guy playedsome really good tennis especially when Murray was serving 4-5 down in the first set and he put the ball back into play for Murray to ample those errors and he came up with huge 2nd serves and forehands whenever Murray had the edge in any of his service games in all sets bar the 3rd(yes I was making the point about just the first 2sets originally but just had to mention how amazing Verdasco was playing)

Also Just to reiterate Verdasco played a brilliant match and so for Murray to withstand that he should get some credit, Also I think one of the main differences between the Big 4 and othe players generally seems to be that opponents can outhit them of the court for one or 2 sets but they can't maintain it over full 5 sets. And yes Verdascos level dropped slightly in the 3rd and he became a bit tight but its expected he wouldn't that've been able to sustain it constantly non stop without any small dips there are always dips in quality by every player. And some credit must be given to Murray to take advantage of that. A lot of people in this forum are biased against Murray and I bet if Murray had played sensationally to win the first 2 sets then his level had dropped and Verdasco had taken the third they would have not said Murray let him back in but would have said well done Verdasco.

Also yes Murray was playing passive and waiting for errors in the first 2 sets but lets remember Murray used to play a lot like that and that does not mean its the wrong way to play. You play how you think your ill win the match, Do I wish Murray was more aggressive? Yes as I think he plays his best when he mixes in aggression into his game at the right times but he was nervous and its understandable when he gets like that he reverts to the playing style which comes more naturally to him. Murray scraped the win and turned around avert bad day in the office. Also remember 2011 US open semi against Nadal MurrY went for his shots was aggressive made a lot of UEs especially on the forehand side but I never heard people on this forum saying oh Murray deserved to win that match he was going for his shots. Yes this situation is different because Verdasco went for his shots and most of the time it worked but he made more errors than Murray which is a side effect of going for your shots. Also Verdasco had to go for his shots as he knew he didn't have a strong chance otherwise. Same with his DFs at key moments its because he had to really go for his 2nd serve as he knew if he didn't the return would sail past him.

And yes Murray played far from his best tennis today and will need to play much better agains the amazing Janowicz but don't write him off so quickly. I mean remember in 2012 US open how poorly he played against Cilic and Lopez (and how well they played agaisnt him in those matches) but he still went on to win

And yes the BBC is biased heavily for Murray yes even as a Murray fan it gets tiring when some of their commentaries give a too rose tinted analysis for my liking. But you know what that is just the nature of how media works. The BBC are funded by British tax payers and most of their viewers are British it makes sense fr them to concentrate in the British player. I mean do you think the Polish media are talking about Janowicz or Murray right now? I mean there are days when there are dozens of casualties in Syria, when there is a suicide attack in Pakistan and people dying in Rwanda but still this either features after(or sometimes doesn't even feature) a more Natioanl news story like Prince Phillip being in hospital or Simon Cowell getting egg thrown on his face or Obama mispronouncing Osbornes name. Get over it the media bias is a part of life

Also finally I do think Murray became more aggressive in sets three four and 5(although still not as aggressive as I wanted him to be) and on the important points stepped into court and really attacked especially with his cross court backhand, and gave Verdasco a lot of deep balls.
    And there are commentators like McEnroe or Becker who aren't overly biased for Murray and even they admitted credit to Murray for pulling through and I think sometimes we have to realise there are some people, more knowledgeable than us about the sport
    Also glad to see Verdasoc playing so brilliantly possibly played the 2nd best match of his life and really hope he continues this form could be back in the top 20 very soon.

Finally woman's QF day and I do t even have a clue as to who will win as this championship ha sheen so unpredictable but hoping Liskici wins the whole thing

Sorry for the long post just had to get my mad rumblings across

ReputationRep:
    Why does Bartoli have to fist-pump every time she wins a point?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Radwanska should make it to the final, she holds the edge though.

ReputationRep:
    Some absolute sorts been playing Wimbledon this year :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Radwanska is so cute
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Come on Lisicki!

I wouldn't mind either of them to make the final, I think they're both good competititors.

ReputationRep:
    This is a great advert for women's tennis. This should be the final.

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2014
Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.