The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Prendah
Why is it better for tennis?

Murray is bad for tennis. Always pushing and throwing tantrums on court.

Tebbis will be put on life support if Mugray wins.

He's so lucky that there was a hurricane during USO final and semi finals such a fluke will never happen again.
Original post by Ultimate1

He's so lucky that there was a hurricane during USO final and semi finals such a fluke will never happen again.

The pole was the one throwing the tantrums today. Whining constantly for almost an hour about the crowd or roof throughout the third set, and swinging his racket around like a 5 year old when Murray broke him twice in that set. He got booed for it.

Unless you are referring to murrays arguments against the roof being closed but those were reasonable I thought. Perhaps he should have ignored it, but closing the roof was silly at that point, and he wanted to register his concerns. (I think he was right to do so, especially after how much Jano was spouting off earlier.) Jano was just unhappy he was losing when he started whining.
(edited 10 years ago)

Murray dealt with the windy conditions better in the US Open final. Get over it.

Missing shots and losing points is frustrating for anyone, and even more frustrating in a Grand slam. All players get frustrated at silly mistakes, including Djokovic.

It will be good for Tennis if either Murray or Djokovic wins.
Original post by Squidgyness

Unless you are referring to murrays arguments against the roof being closed but those were reasonable I thought. Perhaps he should have ignored it, but closing the roof was silly at that point, and he wanted to register his concerns. Jano was just unhappy he was losing when he started whining.

If I remember correctly (perhaps I don't though...), they do tend to close the roof at the end of a set.

Eg, Nadal vs Rosol 2012, I think they closed the roof at the end of a set, prompting the same argument. So I think Murray claiming that Janowicz's complaining led to the decision wasn't accurate.

I don't really care about Murray complaining, tennis players do that quite a lot. It was more all the commentators moaning as well. Tim Henman was sensible as usual though.
Dammit Djokovic please save tennis on Sunday.

Yeah Djokovic isn't a great player on grass imo (real grass, not this pathetic excuse of grass in the second week of Wimbledon aka green clay) but him winning wimbledon over Murray is better for tennis.

Also props to Del Potro, what heart, he still has a few slams in him, but he has amazing heart and fight. Can definitely see him being a big force at the USO this yeqr like 4 years ago.

Comments like this :rolleyes: who are you to say what's better for tennis? Tool.
Why does everyone hate Andrew Castle?
Original post by manchesterunited15

He's just a bit chauvinistic, smarmy, generally talks out of his arse and behaves like a know-it-all yet doesn't really know much.

i.e. Look at his career highlight.

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Mastermind2
Predictions for today?
I reckon Djokovic in 5 sets, and Murray in 4 sets

Looks like I got both of my predictions correct :colone:
Reply 5688
Original post by Mastermind2
Looks like I got both of my predictions correct :colone:

Your predictions on the final please?:wink:
Reply 5689
Lol Youtube has taken down Nole vs Rafa French open 13, there isn't a single Nole Vs Rafa 13 match on Youtube.:frown:
Just got in from work. Great stuff from Murray.
On the argument about the roof, why don't they have floodlights that can be used with the roof open? Having to wait 20+ minutes for the roof to close, just so they switch the lights on, seems a rather large design flaw.
Original post by manchesterunited15

Because he talks like he won everything and knows everything, when in reality he never went past the 2nd round at Wimbledon and never got past the third round of any grand slam.
The pole was the one throwing the tantrums today. Whining constantly for almost an hour about the crowd or roof throughout the third set, and swinging his racket around like a 5 year old when Murray broke him twice in that set. He got booed for it.

It's the irony of the mug wimbledon crowd booing JJ swinging his raquet at the net. Murray throws far more tantrums and is more disgraceful in his behaviour such as come oning opponent's Unforced errors.

Too good this Wimbledon crowd they've shown their true colours. So much for the "most knowledgable crowd" mantra thrown around by the British media.

Unless you are referring to murrays arguments against the roof being closed but those were reasonable I thought. Perhaps he should have ignored it, but closing the roof was silly at that point, and he wanted to register his concerns. (I think he was right to do so, especially after how much Jano was spouting off earlier.) Jano was just unhappy he was losing when he started whining.

Lol seems like you only started watching tennis today.

Original post by ThatPerson
Murray dealt with the windy conditions better in the US Open final. Get over it.

Missing shots and losing points is frustrating for anyone, and even more frustrating in a Grand slam. All players get frustrated at silly mistakes, including Djokovic.

It will be good for Tennis if either Murray or Djokovic wins.

Lol Windray got extremely lucky Berdych chocked in the wind and we saw the damage that Djokovic would have done to Andy if the wind died down in the final.

Anyway tennis will ultimately lose. Haven't you seen how boring Djokovic/Murray matches are? They're snore fests and push fests. Extremely boring matches with both players style canceling each other out. Might be the first wimbledon final I miss since I started watching tennis. Switched off the AO final after 10 mins because the push fest was too much to take in, same with AO 11. Watched USO 12 because I wanted to see murray get destroyed after fluking it to the final but alas that didn't occur. The only decent match betweeb them was Rome '11 actually that one is a classic but apart from virtually all their matches follow the same pattern and are extremely boring.

Original post by kbountra
Comments like this :rolleyes: who are you to say what's better for tennis? Tool.

Because having a pushing mug win winbledon is great for tennis :rolleyes:.

Murray has just pushed and grinded his opponents that is never good for the game.
(edited 10 years ago)
Preview of the men's final:

So... If they only close the roof at the end of a set and not in the middle, why was Jano whining about when it was going to close several times? Surely he'd just have been told at the end of the set and that would be that.

I don't watch too much tennis, but I catch Wimbledon each year and highlights of a few other matches throughout the year and Murray seems to be a bit more calm in recent years to me. I remember a few years back he was quite bad at letting things get to him but in that last set he seemed levelheaded despite the roof thing.
(edited 10 years ago)
So... If they only close the roof at the end of a set and not in the middle, why was Jano whining about when it was going to close? Surely he'd just have been told at te end of te set and that would be that.

He got told an hour or so I believe.

I'm not sure why he was whining.

I think there's probably no "strict rule" over when they close the roof, but the end of a set is viewed as a reasonably "fair moment". So they didn't think they'd get another full set played, so closed the roof.
Reply 5696
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Preview of the men's final:

Brilliant! :biggrin:

My prediction: if Murray wins the first set, he wins in 5; if Djokovic wins the first set, he wins in 4.
Reply 5697
Original post by Xotol
Brilliant! :biggrin:

My prediction: if Murray wins the first set, he wins in 5; if Djokovic wins the first set, he wins in 4.

Murray won first set in Melbourne but lost in 4 lol.
Reply 5698
Original post by ubi1
Murray won first set in Melbourne but lost in 4 lol.

Lol, fine. How about if Murray wins first two sets, he wins in 5. Any other scenario results in Djokovic in 4 or 5? :tongue:

But, really, this will be a great match, should go AT LEAST 4 sets. Hopefully Andy can pull through, but it's a head vs heart thing here... Djokovic probably has the edge.
It's the irony of the mug wimbledon crowd booing JJ swinging his raquet at the net. Murray throws far more tantrums and is more disgraceful in his behaviour such as come oning opponent's Unforced errors.

Too good this Wimbledon crowd they've shown their true colours. So much for the "most knowledgable crowd" mantra thrown around by the British media.

What do you expect? Murray is a British player, and the majority of the crowd are British Tennis fans?

Of course they would support Murray. There is nothing wrong with being happy when your opponent makes an unforced error.

You really are finding outrage at nothing.

Latest