Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    Preview of the men's final:

Brilliant!

My prediction: if Murray wins the first set, he wins in 5; if Djokovic wins the first set, he wins in 4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xotol)
    Brilliant!

My prediction: if Murray wins the first set, he wins in 5; if Djokovic wins the first set, he wins in 4.
    Murray won first set in Melbourne but lost in 4 lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    Murray won first set in Melbourne but lost in 4 lol.
    Lol, fine. How about if Murray wins first two sets, he wins in 5. Any other scenario results in Djokovic in 4 or 5?

But, really, this will be a great match, should go AT LEAST 4 sets. Hopefully Andy can pull through, but it's a head vs heart thing here... Djokovic probably has the edge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate1)
    It's the irony of the mug wimbledon crowd booing JJ swinging his raquet at the net. Murray throws far more tantrums and is more disgraceful in his behaviour such as come oning opponent's Unforced errors.

Too good this Wimbledon crowd they've shown their true colours. So much for the "most knowledgable crowd" mantra thrown around by the British media.
    What do you expect? Murray is a British player, and the majority of the crowd are British Tennis fans?

Of course they would support Murray. There is nothing wrong with being happy when your opponent makes an unforced error.

You really are finding outrage at nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    Because he talks like he won everything and knows everything, when in reality he never went past the 2nd round at Wimbledon and never got past the third round of any grand slam.
    In fairness, we all talk like we know everything and we have worse playing careers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xotol)
    Lol, fine. How about if Murray wins first two sets, he wins in 5. Any other scenario results in Djokovic in 4 or 5?

But, really, this will be a great match, should go AT LEAST 4 sets. Hopefully Andy can pull through, but it's a head vs heart thing here... Djokovic probably has the edge.
    Yes if Murray wins first 2 sets then he will defo win but its going to take a lot this time Djokovic seems to have gone into Nole 2.0 again. Murray's chances are looking slim from the get go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate1)
    Because having a pushing mug win winbledon is great for tennis :rolleyes:.

Murray has just pushed and grinded his opponents that is never good for the game.
    It's called being a counterpuncher. That's how Lleyton Hewitt won Wimbledon. Murray has far more game than Hewitt and I don't see anyone saying that he was bad for the game of tennis. It's a brand/style he plays, some people like it, others don't....if he beats Djokovic on Sunday, it will be a deserved victory and no one can make any excuses for that.

ReputationRep:
    Going off topic somewhat, but someone correct me if I'm wrong:

After reaching the QF of Wimbledon, David Ferrer will/has reach(ed) #3 in the world rankings. But won't he overtake Murray when he loses his Olympic points...since they drop off?

Edit: Never mind, Murray gains 1200 points just by being in the final. But still, Ferrer is #3!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    In fairness, we all talk like we know everything and we have worse playing careers.
    He also cracked the top 100 and look how many British players we've got in that position today. Andrew Castle was an alright player; trouble is he's overshadowed in his commentary by guys like Mcenroe/Becker who can always make reference to their substantial achievements. I think that's partly why he runs out of sensible things to say on air and resorts to discussing the weather or what he's having for tea!

ReputationRep:
    Cannot see Murray beating Djok in the final tbh. I just think Djok is a better player, playing closer to his best. Few areas of the game I can see Murray playing better than Djok is atm. I could see it being over in 3 if I'm perfectly honest. If Djok takes the first and smells blood in the second, I think he'll just hit that gear that no one has seemed to match of late and steam roll it. Taking the first set should be paramount for Murray.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I think Novak isn't playing as well as he was in his US Open run last year, and I think Murray is playing better than he was then. Put in to consideration the fact that Murray won their last (and only, I think) grass court encounter, I have a feeling it's going to be a much more even match than some people expect.

ReputationRep:
    What a day of tennis, I already posted my thoughts on the 1st semi before but just some general points which have been loitering in my mind since the matches and reading over this thread.

Brilliant effort from Janowicz to reach the semi and yes his level dropped off around the end of the 3rd but still he got a bit nervous frustrated its expected. I mean he is 22 and playing the world no 2 home favourite on one of th ebiggest courts in tennis and I think he played pretty well considering all that. This is what we have been waiting for, a youngster to make a really deep run into a major and Janowicz has done just that. With a bit of improvement on his return game and some wiser shot selection decisions which will come with time and experience I see this guy being one the leaders after this current generation drops off.

I thought Murray played well considering the pressure how Janowiczs serves stopped him finidng any real rhythm etc I know there are some guys on this forum who just are trolling or hate Murray but even you have to admit him returning 140mph serves was pretty cool I would love to see you out there try and do that:rolleyes:

Although I think Murray has been a bit passive at times I think he will step it up for the final also I noticed while watching a few highlights of some of his last few matches. He goes through a kind of cycle(could be totally wrong about this) gets a good deep return opens up in the middle of the rally starts hitting some nice deep shots, his opponent opens up he then randomly throws in a mid court ball which is pretty bouncy and comes up at just the right level for his opponent who hen starts dictating the point. he needs to iron that out and just play as many balls as he can deeper

As for the final and who is favourite I think people here are writing off Murray too quickly. There last few matches in AO, WTF, Shangai, US Open, Olympics have been pretty close and they bring each other up a level. At the end of the day a tennis match is so unpredictable that on the day anything can happen and the player who deals with that and wins however he des it is the bette replayed. Also I know this may be almost blasphemous in tennis discussion forums but I don't think especially with these top guys and especially with the match being a GS final the previous few rounds performances really are the deciding factor. As we have see time and time again from Murray, Djokovic (especially in 2011 Wimbledon)Nadal and Federer plus the other top guys like Del Potro etc no matter how they have been playing leading up to the GS final when they get there they bring another level and start hitting shots they've been missing all championship and it all becomes even on the day or sometimes even they play worse than they played the round before its all so unpredictable. It is my true belief(you will probably now start thinking I am bat **** crazy) that on grass Djokovic and Murray at their best are pretty even. So yh I do think Djokovic is the slight favourite for me (even though I am an Andy Murray fan) anything can happen on the day and the differences are marginal

Also a few things on Djokovic he is playing very well but his movement seemed very off yesterday he was slipping all over the place. He can't keep on doing that as it can cost him important points and could also lead to injury. We also saw a lot of weird UEs from him sometimes at crucial points. And yes credit to Delpotro for playing absolutely amazing tennis to keep on coming back in the match but it was in my opinion a lot of timed a weird Djokovic shot or a tame 2nd serve which slightly opened the door for Delpotro. Furthermore he himself admitted on the MPs especially he was a bit too passive. He seemed almost content with just going backhand to backhand with Delpotro waiting for Delpotro to fire a forehand and start dominating the rally in some points, but I don't think it will be as much of a problem with Murray as his ground strokes don't have that raw power that Delpotros has.

About the physical issue both players especially Djokovic(AO 2012 anyone) has shown us that they can return from physically brutal matches and play near their best.I just hope that match didn't take too much mentally out of Djokovic

Just to reiterate again I would like Murray to be a bit more aggressive but he won't ever be all out aggressive or play like Delpotro because that isn't his game and he isn't completely change it at the age of 26 just hope that he can be aggressive at the right times

And yes their matches have a lot of long rallies which some find boring if you find it boring just change the channel, I find them fascinating as just the sheer mental and physical strength to keep going at it with each other from the baseline each shot deep and near perfectly hit all building up to a crescendo before one player wilts under the pressure or produces something magical I find it awesome, but understand its not everyone's cup of tea

My most likely wrong prediction Murray in 5 sets

Now for Bartoli vs Lisicki that could be another awesome match

ReputationRep:
    It will be so refreshing to see a final without Sharapova or Serena that isn't over before it's started. Could be highly competitive if both players don't get tight - Bartoli's been there before so might be calmer, but that was a long time ago.

I would love Lisicki to win - it would be a dream run and a fulfilment of the incredible potential she has shown for the past 4 years. Such a great character as well with a lovely attitude to the game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sirocco11)
    It will be so refreshing to see a final without Sharapova or Serena that isn't over before it's started. Could be highly competitive if both players don't get tight - Bartoli's been there before so might be calmer, but that was a long time ago.

I would love Lisicki to win - it would be a dream run and a fulfilment of the incredible potential she has shown for the past 4 years. Such a great character as well with a lovely attitude to the game.
    I'm not so sure about Lisicki. Do you listen to the No Challeges Remaining podcast? It's hosted by two travelling tennis journalists and in the latest ep they were talking about this smiley media perception and insinuating that it is a big act.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure I've heard an impressionist as good as this guy. His Murray impression is perfect:

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The women's final will be begin today. No matter if Lisicki wins or not: I'm just proud of her. It is a pity that I can't receive BBC to watch the match.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    Because he is?

I'm surprised by everyone's reaction towards Del Potro's performance. The guy swept away Murray and Djokovic in Indian Wells earlier on in the year. Doesn't take anything from djokovic's performance obviously.
    What I meant was Del Potro goes for a lot of winners. He's aggressive. Murray, also a GS champion, doesn't. He plays like the defensive underdog. Against Djokovic it's gonna be all about winners and that first serve. Most women have a better second serve than Murray.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    The women's final will be begin today. No matter if Lisicki wins or not: I'm just proud of her. It is a pity that I can't receive BBC to watch the match.
    pm me if you want a stream to watch the match.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    pm me if you want a stream to watch the match.
    Surely they'll stream it on iplayer or bbc.co.uk/sport ?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D-Box)
    Surely they'll stream it on iplayer or bbc.co.uk/sport ?
    It's not possible to view the live BBC stream outside the UK, even with a VPN.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2014
Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.