Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

(Original post by lizzy95)
    On the winners board why isn't there a gap between the M. and Bartoli, looks kinda shabby :/
    I noticed that too Careless mistake by someone there...

ReputationRep:
    I didn't watch that match but 1hr 21 minutes for a final. Equal pay? Lol you got men playing 3hr+ consistently and meanwhile women do half the work, half the viewers, a fraction of the spectacle and want equal pay.

****ing joke

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They should really increase Womens' tennis back to 5 set matches for GS. Too many crumbles happen in finals where there's simply too little time to recover and make it a good match. Had that gone in a third set, Lisicki would have at least made it into a decent spectacle and maybe taken a set herself.

If it's too physically demanding for the whole tournament, why not just make all finals 5 set matches?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xotol)
    They should really increase Womens' tennis back to 5 set matches for GS. Too many crumbles happen in finals where there's simply too little time to recover and make it a good match. Had that gone in a third set, Lisicki would have at least made it into a decent spectacle and maybe taken a set herself.

If it's too physically demanding for the whole tournament, why not just make all finals 5 set matches?
    There is literally no logical explanation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xotol)

Women want their cake and want to eat it. They should play 5 sets or take a pay cut. They're competing against each other, not other men. Can't do it? Get fitter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xotol)

Definitely maybe a format like the Olympics would be better than what we currently have

ReputationRep:
    Bartoli has waited so long for this moment - really well deserved. Sabine just didn't turn up until towards the end of the 2nd set, and by the time she was close to getting back to level terms, Bartoli superbly shut the door.

Her tearful runner-up speech reminded me a little of Murray's last year (except Murray actually played well, just got outplayed) - it's the type that will get the crowd on your side even more. Next time round, she'll not be so nervous and I hope she can win a grand slam soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xotol)

Just cannot fault this argument - why has it not been done? Bartoli will walk away with £1.6 million, same as the men's winner, for having expended much less time and energy - and for an overall lower quality match (probably).

ReputationRep:
    Why did Lisicki choke in the fricking final? She played so well up until today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    I didn't watch that match but 1hr 21 minutes for a final. Equal pay? Lol you got men playing 3hr+ consistently and meanwhile women do half the work, half the viewers, a fraction of the spectacle and want equal pay.

****ing joke
    lol I hope you don't watch boxing

Mike Tyson used to get million dollar purses for knocking someone out in 20 seconds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popo23)
    Why did Lisicki choke in the fricking final? She played so well up until today.
    It''s understandable. It's the biggest final in the biggest tournament in tennis, and Lisicki was in her first Grand Slam final.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xotol)

I don't think it's too physically demanding, they do it in other sports. Apparently it's to do with scheduling, they couldn't fit in all the matches in time. But that's not an excuse for the final.

ReputationRep:
    Lol the equal pay mantra for womeb is a big friggin' joke.

Brb women's matches cost less to watch on court
    Brb WTA brings in much less revenue
    Brb they play BO3 as opposed to BO5 in slams
    Brb less viewership numbers.

All a big friggin' joke

Anyway didn't bother watching the final today because I don't really watch the WTA as it's full of bad quality tennis.

Hopefully Djokovic is preparing well today to destroy Murray. I will be very ashamed of living in London if Murray wins a grand slam in my home city. Very ashamed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krish4791)
    Just cannot fault this argument - why has it not been done? Bartoli will walk away with £1.6 million, same as the men's winner, for having expended much less time and energy - and for an overall lower quality match (probably).
    Yeah I cannot understand why the prize money is equal, and I think the vast majority of people think this too. If the women want equal prize money, they should play the same 5 set format as the men - even if a final were a 6-0 6-0 6-0 blowout it would still have been under the same conditions as for the men and legitimately could demand the same prize money.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone going to watch the doubles final? The Bryans are going to make history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate1)
    Hopefully Djokovic is preparing well today to destroy Murray. I will be very ashamed of living in London if Murray wins a grand slam in my home city. Very ashamed.
    You really need to sort your emotions out if that's the case.

ReputationRep:
    That was a disappointing final. Would really have liked Lisicki to win. Or at least play good tennis all the way through. But let's just hope now that Murray wins tomorrow, I'd call it at 50-50 atm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sirocco11)
    It''s understandable. It's the biggest final in the biggest tournament in tennis, and Lisicki was in her first Grand Slam final.
    She played so bad and even started crying in the second set when she was down. She completely broke down.

Her mental strength today was horrible compared in her matches against Radwanska in the semis and Serena in the round before. I just thought at least she could have put up a bit of a fight.

ReputationRep:
    So I guess Tsonga was right after all.

How pathetic. Women shouldn't get any prize money- in fact, they should be paying us to play tennis.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zhy)
    So I guess Tsonga was right after all.

How pathetic. Women shouldn't get any prize money- in fact, they should be paying us to play tennis.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    He was definitely proven right today with Lisicki

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.