Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester United)
    Exactly, it should be about who is your favourite player, not where they come from. Like I said, the only time I'd say where it does matter is if they're representing your country (ie, the Olympics).
    Why should it be about who your favourite player is? Who are you to say who people should support? Let people support who they want to support, I don't see what the fuss is about and its not affecting anyone in anyway. The media will always be hyping up British/English players thats not going to change so I don't know why people are always *****ing about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leah14)
    When he said about the football team. And he wasnt joking he has said it many times

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/art...y-traitor.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kbountra)
    I find it odd that so many British tennis fans choose to not support Andy Murray. I can't think of a single sport where I'd favour another team or player over anyone British. I'm just naturally inclined to root for the home side.
    There has never really been a strong nationalistic element to tennis. With the exception of the Davis Cup and the Olympics (relatively new for tennis), the players represent themselves and not their countries. Long-term fans of the sport tend to gravitate towards players that have personalities and playing styles that appeal to their sensibilities. The nationality of the player is viewed as secondary to the above two factors among many fans.

This may sound snobbish, but patriotism in tennis is largely the preserve of the casual tennis crowd (i.e. many of the Wimbledon crowd). It is very difficult to support a player all year round if they have a playing style that doesn't interest you. This is why I don't support Murray -- his playing style does not appeal to me in the slightest. The fact that we were born into the same country (by chance) is just not enough to make me support him above players that have more attractive playing styles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashnard)
    There has never really been a strong nationalistic element to tennis. With the exception of the Davis Cup and the Olympics (relatively new for tennis), the players represent themselves and not their countries. Long-term fans of the sport tend to gravitate towards players that have personalities and playing styles that appeal to their sensibilities. The nationality of the player is viewed as secondary to the above two factors among many fans.

This may sound snobbish, but patriotism in tennis is largely the preserve of the casual tennis crowd (i.e. many of the Wimbledon crowd). It is very difficult to support a player all year round if they have a playing style that doesn't interest you. This is why I don't support Murray -- his playing style does not appeal to me in the slightest. The fact that we were born into the same country (by chance) is just not enough to make me support him above players that have more attractive playing styles.
    You can watch a player with an attractive playing style, appreciate their playing style, but you don't necessarily have to support them. Think how happy Murray would make not only himself, but most of the UK (there will inevitably be exceptions like you), if he won tomorrow. And it's about time he won Wimbledon, he's been so close so many times, and he's probably the same standard (don't neg or hate for this, he is second seed so you can't really argue) as Djokovic, Federer or Nadal, but has only won one grand slam compared to their massive collections

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoisonSky)
    You can watch a player with an attractive playing style, appreciate their playing style, but you don't necessarily have to support them. Think how happy Murray would make not only himself, but most of the UK (there will inevitably be exceptions like you), if he won tomorrow. And it's about time he won Wimbledon, he's been so close so many times, and he's probably the same standard (don't neg or hate for this, he is second seed so you can't really argue) as Djokovic, Federer or Nadal, but has only won one grand slam compared to their massive collections
    Supporting players on the basis of playing style as opposed to nationality (singly) just makes more sense to me. As for the bolded statement, I'm not going to enter into a time-consuming and pointless debate about it, but I really really do not believe that this is true.

ReputationRep:
    There is a reason why Murray hasn't won what the other three have won.

Djokovic > Murray. Nadal rules France and Federer was a magician.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leah14)
    When he said about the football team. And he wasnt joking he has said it many times

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, he hasn't.

ReputationRep:
    What time does it start tomorrow?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hog Dog)
    What time does it start tomorrow?!
    2pm The programme on BBC1 starts just before 1pm.

ReputationRep:
    Andy in 5, calling it.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing to do with nationality for me, I supported Henman because he was actually likeable. Murray is a whiny boring ***** that cant keep his temper in check.

Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are much more likeable on and off the court.

Plus the media and fans overrate and **** ride Murray beyond belief.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy Ftw)
    2pm The programme on BBC1 starts just before 1pm.
    Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why support someone based on there nationality? Did you aid his development?

Murray is more a product of the Spanish development system than the British anyway.

Supporting someone just because they have the same passport as you is simply small minded imo. I know every country does it and thats equally pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    I have completely gone of topic but what seed will federer be once wimbledon finishes, he has definitely lost a considerable number of points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vgautam)
    I have completely gone of topic but what seed will federer be once wimbledon finishes, he has definitely lost a considerable number of points.
    I think he'll be ranked 5? I could be wrong though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    I think he'll be ranked 5? I could be wrong though.
    No you're right Rafael will be No.4 in the rankings Roger will be 5 and Ferrer will be No.3

This is Ferrer's highest ever ranking..... Career peak?

Its a shame Ferrer won't stay there for long; soon Rafa will overtake him, its a matter of time.

ReputationRep:
    Last year 2012 Wimby Final Federer made Andy Murray cry lets see what happens in this years final.
    Murray cried on national television like a little baby last year lets hope he doesn't disappoint this year.
    Murray has the home crowd advantage to his side the final better be 5 sets. Am supporting Murray but my gut feeling is Nole is going to win

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashnard)

As I said in my previous post, I support Murray because I'm naturally inclined to get behind our own athletes and see them do well. Understandably, tennis is a sport where there is a great deal of individuality in style involved. When I camped out for Wimbledon tickets last week, I had the choice between seeing Murray and Federer play. I chose to see the Federer vs Stakhovsky match because I prefer his elegant, effortless style of play.

Yet when it came down to the Wimbledon final last year, as much of a fan I am of Federer, in all honesty my heart wanted Murray to win. I suppose it comes down to personal preference but for me, a more entertaining playing style wouldn't counteract the patriotism I have for all sports. Germany play a far more attractive brand of football than England but I've never once thought of getting behind another international team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    Nothing to do with nationality for me, I supported Henman because he was actually likeable. Murray is a whiny boring ***** that cant keep his temper in check.

Federer, Nadal and Djokovic are much more likeable on and off the court.

Plus the media and fans overrate and **** ride Murray beyond belief.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But you're alright with supporting the likes of Carragher, Gerrard, Suarez etc..?

mmmm ok...

ReputationRep:
    The sad thing is that if Murray wasn't British and was say French or Belgian, many more Brits will like him.

British people confuse me so much.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2014
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.