Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    The sad thing is that if Murray wasn't British and was say French or Belgian, many more Brits will like him.

British people confuse me so much.
    No they wouldn't.

Most of the Brits that support him like him simply because of his passport. A sad state of affairs in 2013 tbh.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RtGOAT)
    No they wouldn't.

Most of the Brits that support him like him simply because of his passport. A sad state of affairs in 2013 tbh.
    What does it being 2013 have to do with anything?

I assume you're also upset by the billions of people all around the world who support their local sports team/player?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notnek)
    What does it being 2013 have to do with anything?

I assume you're also upset by the billions of people all around the world who support their local sports team/player.
    In this day and age I'd like to think people were more open minded tbh.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    In this day and age I'd like to think people were more open minded tbh.
    Without patriotism (local and national), sport would be so much more boring and would eventually die out.

I'm glad that your view isn't shared by many people around the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kbountra)
    As I said in my previous post, I support Murray because I'm naturally inclined to get behind our own athletes and see them do well. Understandably, tennis is a sport where there is a great deal of individuality in style involved. When I camped out for Wimbledon tickets last week, I had the choice between seeing Murray and Federer play. I chose to see the Federer vs Stakhovsky match because I prefer his elegant, effortless style of play.

Yet when it came down to the Wimbledon final last year, as much of a fan I am of Federer, in all honesty my heart wanted Murray to win. I suppose it comes down to personal preference but for me, a more entertaining playing style wouldn't counteract the patriotism I have for all sports. Germany play a far more attractive brand of football than England but I've never once thought of getting behind another international team.
    Yeah, I agree with you when you say it is down to personal preference. I must state once again though that the extent to which patriotism plays a role differs widely between different sports, with it having historically a smaller importance in tennis than in team sports such as football. The dynamics of a Wimbledon final are different to say an AO final or a RG final from a British perspective, where there is more incentive for British people to support Murray in the former. However, nationality alone is just not enough to make some British tennis fans get behind Murray -- even at Wimbledon -- either because they have objections to his personality (not me), or to his playing style (me), or find his opponent much more appealing.

ReputationRep:
    If there's anything I've learnt, it's that on this thread, whether you praise or criticise Murray you're sure to get negged either way. So instead I will imply the following:

-Murray is Scottish. Which means he's a citizen of the UK.
    -The majority of people would like to see a citizen of the UK win Wimbledon. Wimbledon is a UK tournament, and it's a bit embarassing that no UK citizen has won it for so long.
    -If Murray wins many UK tennis fans will be happy.
    -I would be one of them.
    -Murray has a chance to beat Djokovic. He's done it twice last year

ReputationRep:
    Why support someone based on there nationality? Did you aid his development?

Murray is more a product of the Spanish development system than the British anyway.

Supporting someone just because they have the same passport as you is simply small minded imo. I know every country does it and thats equally pathetic.
    I have a chinese passport. I'm sorry to disappoint you. I have lived in the UK for most of my life though, so I'm more inclined to support Murray and Robson than Li Na. Maybe the British public just want to see a British player win the British tournament that no British player has won in ages

ReputationRep:
    I hope Murray wins. Djok has that smug macho annoying posing he does. Djok is clear favourite though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No they wouldn't.

Well did you support Laura Robson then? You can't possibly say she's whiny, unsporting, angry, etc. etc.

ReputationRep:
    No they wouldn't.

How wrong you are.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone start a andy Murray fan page on here and offer updates as the final is going underway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    But you're alright with supporting the likes of Carragher, Gerrard, Suarez etc..?

mmmm ok...

Football is a team sport, you cant compare. For the record though, Gerrard and Carragher are actually quite likeable but Suarez is a ****. No need to be so butthurt because I slated Murray.

And why youve posted something to do with Cheryl Cole, I have no idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No they wouldn't.

I support him because he is a good tennis player a good sportsman and an all round good bloke not because he's British,just like I supported del Potro in the semi final against Djokovic because in my opinion he's an eneternataknkng player to watch and a better sportsman than djokovic,so to say that I would support someone purely biased on their nationality is rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    Football is a team sport, you cant compare. For the record though, Gerrard and Carragher are actually quite likeable but Suarez is a ****. No need to be so butthurt because I slated Murray.

And why youve posted something to do with Cheryl Cole, I have no idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Its a reaction gif.

ReputationRep:
    3 hours left until (hopefully!) the dismantling and destruction of Annie Mooiray.

Hopefully Djokovic wins in 2, 1, 0 and Murray goes into his post depression tennis play not just for a few months like the last times but for the rest of his career, being reduced to playing challengers!

He already has enough plates for a banquet, hopefully another is added to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr plumby)
    Its a reaction gif.
    Im on my phone so it was just a picture.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate1)
    3 hours left until (hopefully!) the dismantling and destruction of Annie Mooiray.

Hopefully Djokovic wins in 2, 1, 0 and Murray goes into his post depression tennis play not just for a few months like the last times but for the rest of his career, being reduced to playing challengers!

He already has enough plates for a banquet, hopefully another is added to it.
    What is it with people on this thread? There are like three or four passionate Murray haters who take every opportunity to tell us about it. It's like you're obsessed. OK we get it, you don't like Murray. Unfortunately for you, the majority of us in the UK DO want him to win today, and you're not going to change our minds.

Murray did get angry on court a lot, ok. And he played defensive tennis. Both he's improving. If you don't like Murray, there must surely be worse tennis players you don't like? What about Bartoli with her excess fist-pumping, congratulations to her on winning Wimbledon but I can't help feeling that the fist-pumping must be to deliberately put her opponents off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoisonSky)
    What is it with people on this thread? There are like three or four passionate Murray haters who take every opportunity to tell us about it. It's like you're obsessed. OK we get it, you don't like Murray. Unfortunately for you, the majority of us in the UK DO want him to win today, and you're not going to change our minds.

Murray did get angry on court a lot, ok. And he played defensive tennis. Both he's improving. If you don't like Murray, there must surely be worse tennis players you don't like? What about Bartoli with her excess fist-pumping, congratulations to her on winning Wimbledon but I can't help feeling that the fist-pumping must be to deliberately put her opponents off
    Absolutely loathe Murray. Disgusting game plan and disgusting attitude on court.

All I'm saying is that if Djokovic gets another plate next to Murray he should retire. He'll have done enough disgrace to the sport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IMRUBBISHATJAVA)
    I support him because he is a good tennis player a good sportsman and an all round good bloke not because he's British,just like I supported del Potro in the semi final against Djokovic because in my opinion he's an eneternataknkng player to watch and a better sportsman than djokovic,so to say that I would support someone purely biased on their nationality is rubbish.
    Are you kidding me? Djokovic is one of the most likable athletes in the world - he's outgoing, he's really funny, he's friends with a lot of the tennis players on the tour and he's the best player in the world. He was very sulky a few years ago, but now he's a great great sportsman.

I'm supporting Murray because he's British. Otherwise, I'm not sure how many of us would actually support him because he's pretty unlikable otherwise. He sulks a lot, doesn't really seem like a whole lot of fun, and acts like he's injured if he's losing a lot of times.

My favourite player of all time is Federer - his game was just pure art. Nadal is incredibly humble and a great player. I like all of the top 4, but will always support Murray.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xotol)
    Nadal is incredibly humble and a great player..
    :rofl::lol:.

Humbalito is not humble at all. As shown many times it's a farce.

No one in the top 4 is humble, I think Djokovic is an extremely gracious loser but has a tendency to be too extreme in his celebrations as a victor.

Federer is very bitter in defeat, very humble in victory.

Same with Nadal but the difference is he whines and conplains too much when things aren't going his way.

Murray doesn't say much but his attitude on court is disgusting (swearing, as soon as a player starts pkaying well he starts cluthing vaious body parts as if to give the impression of an injury etc).

I like it this way you need characters in tennis, most of the top by part and large are PR bots.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.