Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shyamshah)
    Anyone think Tsonga will win a grand slam anytime soon?
    Not unless he steps his game up with Djoc, Murray and Nadal hanging around.

ReputationRep:
    One thing that was really unusual to see from a Novak perspective was the lack of depth he was getting on his ground strokes today. It meant Murray could (and did) push him around which is where he won the game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kbountra)
    Federer's age is well and truly against him now. He gets less power off his serve/forehand these days, he's a step slower and his movement has become suspect at times. He's nearly 32 now so it's going to be increasingly difficult for him to keep up with the likes of Nadal, Djokovic, Murray and DelPo.
    Yeah, the list of people that can actually beat him consistently is getting longer and longer. First it was Nadal, then it was Djokovic/Murray, then it was Tsonga/Berdych, now it seems like every Tom-and-****-and-Harry has a chance. The probability of him winning any given GS is really know, although if the stars really align for him I suppose it would not be out of the question.

(Original post by nothepreacher)
    Right I see your logic there. My reasoning was that mur looks a bit like a pigeon.
    :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    Murray is Nadals pigeon why because 13-5 H2H nd copies his celebration.
    He did! Come on bring some orginality in your personality too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashnard)
    Yeah, the list of people that can actually beat him consistently is getting longer and longer. First it was Nadal, then it was Djokovic/Murray, then it was Tsonga/Berdych, now it seems like every Tom-and-****-and-Harry has a chance. The probability of him winning any given GS is really know, although if the stars really align for him I suppose it would not be out of the question.
    For all the ability of the others, Federer still has more artistry in his little finger than most players have in their entire body. On his day he could still beat any of them.

It just doesn't look like he's going to have too many days left.

ReputationRep:
    Federer at his best can still beat anyone but Nadal on clay. He just needs to channel his inner motivation and bring it more on the tennis courts and he can still have one big moment. But even if he doesn't win another major, who cares, he is still around entertaining millions around the globe and anything he wins now is just icing on the cake. He has done it all. He can retire now and I'm sure no one will hold any regrets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashnard)
    Tbh Murray has always had a winning H2H with Federer but I agree the list of players is getting longer for Federer. It's amazing how Federer used to handle the ball bashers, he would dismantle them with ease now they're the worst players for Federer to play against lol.

The biggest decline for Federer imo has been the fact that he doesnt' and can't use the inside out forehand arugably his best shot in his prime. Of course the reason why he can't is because he's lost just half a step and it's had an enormous impact. Was watching a few Federer matches from 05/06 and wow the difference between then and now is huge. Nowadays whenever he does hit the inside out it's usually a very tame shoy. I feel that he doesn't trust it at all anymore.

The most weird thing for me is how quickly Federer lost that half a step. I can trace it back to as early as mid-2007, all of a sudden he just became just a tiny step slower and that was when he was only 26.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate1)
    Tbh Murray has always had a winning H2H with Federer but I agree the list of players is getting longer for Federer. It's amazing how Federer used to handle the ball bashers, he would dismantle them with ease now they're the worst players for Federer to play against lol.

The biggest decline for Federer imo has been the fact that he doesnt' and can't use the inside out forehand arugably his best shot in his prime. Of course the reason why he can't is because he's lost just half a step and it's had an enormous impact. Was watching a few Federer matches from 05/06 and wow the difference between then and now is huge. Nowadays whenever he does hit the inside out it's usually a very tame shoy. I feel that he doesn't trust it at all anymore.

The most weird thing for me is how quickly Federer lost that half a step. I can trace it back to as early as mid-2007, all of a sudden he just became just a tiny step slower and that was when he was only 26.
    Yeah but in spite of the H2H, Federer would usually be the favourite in a best-of-five match, but this is not the case any more. In terms of the ball bashers, I think a lot of it is to do with the extent to which his ROS has deteriorated. He made a name for himself by being able to handle guys with big serves (e.g. Roddick, Philipoussis), but now he is especially vulnerable to these types of players and that is partly because he is just unable to make an impact on their service games due to his weak returns. Maybe his reflexes are slowing down due to age? The pace that these players put on their shots also exploits his limited movement and throws him off balance when he produces his strokes, resulting in the slews of unforced errors.

He also struggles to produce as many winners as he used to during rallies. He seems reluctant to hit the inside-out FH (as you say) and I also rarely see him attempt the BH down-the-line. When he does hit the inside-out FH these days, the reduced pace of the ball exposes him on the open side of the court (e.g. Stakhovsky mini-break in set 4 TB). His ground strokes lack any venom/penetration and are a lot more feathery now, allowing him to be dictated during the rallies. When he does really "go for it" during his shots his UE rate is high, which makes him lose confidence in his ground game.

ReputationRep:
    Kind of scared to say who I support, might get flamed for it if I do. Dunno why everyone's gotta attack each other about who they like :confused:

ReputationRep:

Oh man Gerard Butlers face :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)

Oh man Gerard Butlers face :lol:
    There is a better gif of him going mental when Andy won.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prendah)
    There is a better gif of him going mental when Andy won.
    I think i posted it yesterday haha I like this one more though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForensicShoe)
    Just heard he's donated all of his prize money to the Royal Marsden Cancer Hospital, the same charity that benefited from that "Rally Against Cancer" event.

Very good of him!
    Cheap publicity stunt tbh.

The money is very little to him and now everyone says 'oh how nice Andy Murray is'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RtGOAT)

The money is very little to him and now everyone says 'oh how nice Andy Murray is'
    the money means little to him..

But a whole lot to the charity and those they are trying to help

ReputationRep:

Cheap publicity stunt? You sound so bitter and jealous. Get out more!

This is very admirable. I'd like to see you give up a month's wage to charity in a lump sum. I'm sure he earns a lot but some of you think because famous person X earns X millions then giving away a million or two means nothing. How naive. Let's see your generosity when you start earning. It's easy to be a couch idealist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    He hasn't donated all his money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    Cheap publicity stunt? You sound so bitter and jealous. Get out more!

This is very admirable. I'd like to see you give up a month's wage to charity in a lump sum. I'm sure he earns a lot but some of you think because famous person X earns X millions then giving away a million or two means nothing. How naive. Let's see your generosity when you start earning. It's easy to be a couch idealist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's not a month wage. Its like me giving £1.60 and then shouting from the roof tops.

Sure it's a nice gesture but no need to let everyone know about it.

ReputationRep:
    The Daily Mail have an article speculating on whether he will donate the money when, quite frankly, it's nobody's business what he does with the money and articles like the Daily Mail one are a disgrace because it's almost like they are pressuring him into doing it.

ReputationRep:
    It's not a month wage. Its like me giving £1.60 and then shouting from the roof tops.

Sure it's a nice gesture but no need to let everyone know about it.
    last year andy made an estimated £12 million.

Presuming he makes an extra £4 this year £1.6 million would be around 10% of his yearly income..

So your saying your yearly income is £16...?

- ofcourse its not relatable as millionares finances are very different, but in pure percentage terms, if he does donate this money.. 10% of yearly income, is much much higher then what most people give to charity..
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    The Daily Mail have an article speculating on whether he will donate the money when, quite frankly, it's nobody's business what he does with the money and articles like the Daily Mail one are a disgrace because it's almost like they are pressuring him into doing it.
    A rumour started on twitter that he will donate all the winnings to a cancer charity and I keep hearing this being stated as fact on TV and radio. He may have to donate the money now.

This all started when Andrew Castle "joked" on court that Murray will donate all his Queens money to charity.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.