Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prendah)
    I don't mind Shanghai, the final last year was one of the best matches of the year. I don't think they will scrap it though because the Asian market is so lucrative.
    But, they should definitely do something to make it more appealing to the customer, because at the moment it just has a dead feel to me and lot of other tennis fans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger1)
    I'm looking forward to the Rogers Cup, Cincinnati, USO, WTF, Hamburg and Gstaad. I like Paris, but most top players either withdraw or tank it to prepare for the WTF, which explains a different winner every year. Shanghai has to be the worst tournament out there, don't you think? The crowd is so dead and it just don't feel like a top level tournament anymore. It was so much better at the tennis masters cup, but they should now totally scrap it from the tour. Madrid indoors was ten times better.
    I like Paris due to the green hard court for some reason it looks really attractive to me as you don't always see a green court it really stands out for some reason lol

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking forward to the Rogers Cup, Cincinnati, USO, WTF, Hamburg and Gstaad. I like Paris, but most top players either withdraw or tank it to prepare for the WTF, which explains a different winner every year. Shanghai has to be the worst tournament out there, don't you think? The crowd is so dead and it just don't feel like a top level tournament anymore. It was so much better at the tennis masters cup, but they should now totally scrap it from the tour. Madrid indoors was ten times better.
    Yep shanghai is perhaps the worst tournament out there. Apart from Cincinnati which other tournaments are fast?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    Yep shanghai is perhaps the worst tournament out there. Apart from Cincinnati which other tournaments are fast?
    Probably Paris. USO is medium fast. Not so sure about Canada and Shanghai.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    I like Paris due to the green hard court for some reason it looks really attractive to me as you don't always see a green court it really stands out for some reason lol
    I love the courts too. Too bad it's not given as much importance as the other masters 1000s.

ReputationRep:
    Probably Paris. USO is medium fast. Not so sure about Canada and Shanghai.
    I've heard Canada is pretty slow don't know about Shanghai

ReputationRep:
    I love the courts too. Too bad it's not given as much importance as the other masters 1000s.
    Isn't it a compulsory Masters?

ReputationRep:
    But, they should definitely do something to make it more appealing to the customer, because at the moment it just has a dead feel to me and lot of other tennis fans.
    I agree they should scrap Shanghai. US Open's finished by then so having another outdoor hard court event seems a bit pointless to me. I wish they could extend the grass court season instead by having a masters event on grass prior to Wimbledon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubi1)
    Isn't it a compulsory Masters?
    It is, but as it falls a week before the WTF, most top players either tank their opening matches or in Roger and Rafa's case, withdraw from it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kbountra)
    I agree they should scrap Shanghai. US Open's finished by then so having another outdoor hard court event seems a bit pointless to me. I wish they could extend the grass court season instead by having a masters event on grass prior to Wimbledon.
    Or they could make Shanghai indoors again, which would give it a better feel and would be the prefect preparation for the WTFs.

They are pushing forward Wimbledon a week, starting from 2015, so the gap between RG and Wimby would be then 3 weeks. A perfect opportunity for a ATP Masters 1000 event on grass in the 2nd week. Let's hope they think about it.

ReputationRep:
    Or another suggestion will be to have an indoor tournament. The atp calendar lacks indoor tournaments.

ReputationRep:
    Or they could make Shanghai indoors again, which would give it a better feel and would be the prefect preparation for the WTFs.

They are pushing forward Wimbledon a week, starting from 2015, so the gap between RG and Wimby would be then 3 weeks. A perfect opportunity for a ATP Masters 1000 event on grass in the 2nd week. Let's hope they think about it.
    Yeah having a mini indoor season again would be better.

It's good they are moving Wimbledon forward cos it gives players more preparation time on the grass. Will be interesting to see if a new Masters comes about; they'd have to decide on a location fairly close to Wimbledon/England and it would hopefully not deter players from entering Queens (one of the best small events imo)

ReputationRep:
    Guys, I just wondered what the standard for the lowest level of competitive tournament tennis for 16 to 18 year olds is, if anyone can help? For example, I get around 60% of first serves in, at around 60mph, and about 90% of second serves in, at around 30-40mph. About one in fifty times I might hit an 70-80mph serve down the line. I'm 16 years old, would I have a chance in competitive tennis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoisonSky)
    Guys, I just wondered what the standard for the lowest level of competitive tournament tennis for 16 to 18 year olds is, if anyone can help? For example, I get around 60% of first serves in, at around 60mph, and about 90% of second serves in, at around 30-40mph. About one in fifty times I might hit an 70-80mph serve down the line. I'm 16 years old, would I have a chance in competitive tennis?
    Yeah, definitely. I would recommend starting membership with the LTA (junior competitions to start off with) - they'll help you improve your overall game, and also increase the speed/accuracy of that serve. You could also register full time with the LTA later, and get an official rank and rating once you start playing competitive matches.

Not sure what exact level you would be at this stage, but it should be enough (easily) for the lowest level of competitive tournament

ReputationRep:
    At that age, for quite a skinny teenager I was serving flat first serves around 85mph so perhaps you're putting a fair amount of spin on your ones. I'm not too sure on how to enter tournaments but the LTA website would be a good starting point.

ReputationRep:
    Just sign up to the LTA and it'll recommend you plenty of tournaments this time of year, my serve was probably around the same speed at that age but as more of a "grind the other person down into the dirt" type of player it varies from person to person. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah having a mini indoor season again would be better.

It's good they are moving Wimbledon forward cos it gives players more preparation time on the grass. Will be interesting to see if a new Masters comes about; they'd have to decide on a location fairly close to Wimbledon/England and it would hopefully not deter players from entering Queens (one of the best small events imo)
    I think Halle would be perfect as Germany is quite close to London (location wise).

ReputationRep:
    I think Halle would be perfect as Germany is quite close to London (location wise).
    Halle would be good. I think upgrading queens might be a bit much because London already has Wimbledon and the WTF.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prendah)
    Halle would be good. I think upgrading queens might be a bit much because London already has Wimbledon and the WTF.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Exactly. German deserves a masters 1000 after Hamburg was unfairly degraded a level. Stuttgart which is a 250 tournament taking place this week will be switching from clay to grass in 2015, so that might be another option.

ReputationRep:
    Watching Newport Hall of Fame Tennis Championships. Surprised by how the court looks. Wonder how they play doubles on it.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2014
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.